Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: one more nail in the coffin atmo -

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default one more nail in the coffin atmo -

i'm a longtime effete elitist who clings to tradition and heritage,
    and when i read shit like this i cringe atmo. i remember when i
    was a junior at peddie and ruing that my final year there would
    have girls on campus. i was against the coed thing then and there,
    and believe some practices in life are the way they are because
    they work well, are not broken, and don't need fixing atmo. i'll
    keep my ties, thank you very much...

Post Thanks / Like

clothes; they are a' changing.

YouTube - Time To Change

Post Thanks / Like

embrace change. Build an aluminum bike :0

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
    i'm a longtime effete elitist who clings to tradition and heritage,
    and when i read shit like this i cringe atmo. i remember when i
    was a junior at peddie and ruing that my final year there would
    have girls on campus. i was against the coed thing then and there,
    and believe some practices in life are the way they are because
    they work well, are not broken, and don't need fixing atmo. i'll
    keep my ties, thank you very much...

i couldn't agree more. the tie stays in the picture.

Post Thanks / Like

Never really got the big deal. When i was at Hun seniors could skip wearing the tie on Fridays and replace with a turtleneck. I felt most people wore the turtleneck just because they could. The tie at that point was second nature and i could care less about putting it on everyday. Since then i never really had a consistent scene that required a tie but i also have the ability to clean up rather nice.

As for the girls at school i sure know that feeling. I told this to Richard but i was denied entrance for my dream school because they let girls in the year i applied. Still bitter about that!

As for the dress code in a restaurant, who cares. As long as people have respect they will still show up looking classy. If not then it is the people that suck not the establishment.

Not everyone's opinion i know but it is mine!

Cheers,
    Drew
    Drew Guldalian
    Engin Cycles
    www.engincycles.com

Post Thanks / Like

When I was just a lad I'd meet dad at the Lawyers Club for lunch. The head man would take one look and march me over the the guest rack of clothing...I'd re-emerge with coat, tie and sometimes a belt.

I take the 5th.

Post Thanks / Like

Looking out and seeing a well-dressed group of patrons at 21 Club was pleasant.
    Much like riders who don't get the use of steel on a new bicycle, this is an unfortunate development.
    The very tradition of that sartorial style illustrated the value of tradition itself to a younger generation.

Post Thanks / Like

I was at Hill before they went co-ed. It was an interesting time and an experience from another age. I have been told by a few faculty members that top notch girls replaced the bottom filler boys and the academics are stronger for it. Some of the old guard who couldn’t take the change retired but they would have retired soon enough anyway. No doubt it’s a different place than when I was there.

We were allowed tie or turtleneck and most picked a tie. In my prime, I could shower, shave, dress including tying a single Windsor, and walk across the quad to supervise setting up the dinning hall in about 5 minutes. Now it would take me about 20.

One thing to add, forcing us to wear a tie or turtleneck and a blazer definitely encouraged students to have their head in the game. It gave us a sense of purpose at a time when one doesn’t have one of their own.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gt6267a View Post
    I was at Hill before they went co-ed. It was an interesting time and an experience from another age. I have been told by a few faculty members that top notch girls replaced the bottom filler boys.....
    Wow, that just confirms our suspicions about what goes on in these places.

Post Thanks / Like

I hear ya E-Richie ...

The only constant is life is change and change is not always for the best.

What's next .... TIGed Sachs ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alfa75 View Post
    Wow, that just confirms our suspicions about what goes on in these places.
    you seem to be implying something. care to explain?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    When I was just a lad I'd meet dad at the Lawyers Club for lunch. ....
    When I was a wee lad I would often meet my dad at the fire house for a visit. He would slide down the firepole with a f'n tie on.

At least we are not all still wearing Elizabethan collars.
    Last edited by jean-jacques EPOeau; 01-28-2009 at 11:20 AM. Reason: sexual inuendo

Post Thanks / Like

Default east to west

I was born in Connecticut and we moved to upstate NY. We went to church (latin mass), wore a tie, and my dad buzzed our heads. At 8 years old we moved to California; long hair, no ties, no latin mass and I thought what is the matter with these people. My brother at 15 continued to wear a tie throughout high school, he took 4 years of latin and was on the debate team and practiced karate. He was the valedictorian. Noone bugged him about the tie...he wasn't giving up his roots. I liked our buzzed heads no "style" to concern yourself with and the uniforms made us feel part of the same class, rich or poor.

I miss the latin mass, it was better not knowing what they were saying...more of a mystery and the ritual made you feel a part of something big...ties can be like that. Sometimes we don't move ahead in the world but take detours that leave us stranded.

Post Thanks / Like

David Brooks's column yesterday was related, in a strange sort of way. It discussed individualism and institutions.

Regardless of whether you love or hate him, Mr. Brooks always brings an interesting perspective.

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jscottyk View Post

Regardless of whether you love or hate him, Mr. Brooks always brings an interesting perspective.
    gets it atmo -

New generations don’t invent institutional practices. These practices are passed down and evolve.
    So the institutionalist has a deep reverence for those who came before and built up the rules that
    he has temporarily taken delivery of. “In taking delivery,” Heclo writes, “institutionalists see themselves
    as debtors who owe something, not creditors to whom something is owed.”

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by e-richie View Post
    gets it atmo -
    word.

Post Thanks / Like

My prep school went co-ed my sop@#$%@#$%@#$%@#$%re year. One of the last of the big all-male new england prep schools. Definitely changed the place and there was some resistance, but in the end it was a great decision.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jscottyk View Post
    word.
    word up.

Post Thanks / Like

The need and role for formal wear has really changed over the years .

Back in the day, I imagine making everyone wear suits and ites is similar to the reason that schools make children wear uniforms.

I have friends who teach at inner city schools and the children there have to wear uniforms. The logic: poor children in inner cities go to great lengths to shed any outward vestiges of poverty - to that end they make great strides to acquire popular culture items (clothing, phones, ipods, etc) in order to appear wealthier than they are. This leads to unnecessary and distracting strife between and amongst students. Uniforms thus remind the kids that they are ALL THE SAME - and need to distinguish themselves academically and otherwise, rather than using other methods of individualism as springboards for identity.

I bet that is a value to those students.

I bet that suits did a similar thing in the workplace at one time. At one period in time, a sharecroppers son and a wealthy heir should have little outward to distinguish them as such when they show up for work at their investment bank.

Back in the day, that was a valuable propsition that I am not so sure holds true anymore.

[edit, for posterity, this was lifted from a random comment on Blogmaverick.com.]
    we are about to break the surly bonds of gravity and punch the face of God!

Post Thanks / Like

While I have respect for tradition, it was a great day when the workplace moved from suit & tie to business casual. I hated wearing ties every day. Don't miss them one bit.