Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: one more nail in the coffin atmo -

Post Thanks / Like

Default Early '70s

My brother and I attended a catholic high school seminary in the early '70s (Jr./Sr. years).

The school still had a formal blue blazers and tie uniform and a hair cut rule. But we arrived with slightly longer hair and additional clothing just outside the accepted rules. It seemed that everyone was trying to bend them a little more so that some individuality could be expressed. Since we were not called on it in the first couple of weeks of school, the rest of the students acted the same way and the grip had been broken.

However, we had to wear blazers and ties for all formal and outside events that continued to establish a group identity. Of course the place closed down two years after I graduated, but that was just the times and the absurdity of keeping teenage boys semi-locked up from the opposite sex. However, the sense of belonging and common purpose stayed with me, and certainly increased discipline and scholarly endeavers through my life. If you saw Dead Poets Society that came pretty close to the atmosphere of the place.

Frankly, the lack of any dress code has turned some working places into a distracting carnival of bad taste and indifference. I have recently been as much to blame, but have returned to the somewhat male uniform of slacks open collar shirts and a jacket for occasional lunches and offsite meetings. Ties, well, they still remain optional but not really accepted (maybe suspect) in most left coast business circles. Bow ties, now those remain in true iconoclast fashion, you either pull it off or you don't.

Kevin

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gradient View Post
    However, the sense of belonging and common purpose stayed with me, and certainly increased discipline and scholarly endeavers through my life.

Kevin

thank you atmo.
    again, the OP wasn't about the tie it was about rituals.

Post Thanks / Like

i think it needs to be said.

Without a dress code, folks go to work wearing sweatpants. The ill fitting kind that have no front or back, are grey or green, and are really tight around the cankles.

Sweatpants to work=giving up.

Spandex to work=effin' sweet!
    we are about to break the surly bonds of gravity and punch the face of God!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Marley View Post
    No jacket required in the Oval Office

"I say, beware all enterprises that require new clothes, and not a new wearer of clothes. If there is not a new man, how can the new clothes be made to fit? If you have a new enterprise before you, try it in your old clothes. All men want, not something to do with, but something to do, or rather something to be. ... Our molting season, like that of the fowls, must be a crisis in our lives."

- Henry David Thoreau

If I was going to 21, I would wear a tie, or the Oval Office, a jacket; neither is likely, though, but I am prepared.

davids - congratulations - is that a recent picture?
    I needed all sorts of new clothes when I took up cycling. They came first, the cyclist in me followed. Thoreau was a poseur, anyways. His mom probably bought him an entire 'simple' wardrobe in downtown Concord before he strolled out to the pond.

...The pic's almost three years old now. It was a very good day. Coincidentally, the author of the article you linked was at the institution for the ritual.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like

Default We draw the line around here ...

at covering private parts. Gotta' happen. We are definitely different though. For me, nicer, more appropriate clothing is all a matter of either respect for others, or respect for yourself. I remember way back ('76) when I moved to the Lehigh valley and went on my first Derby. All I had for a cool fall morning was a sweater and sweat pants. The sweater had a big hole in the back of it. Dave Chauner was all over me abut my "kit" for good reason. I did not represent cyclists in a professional manner. To this day I am still "paying" for my mistake. Back when I was still racing as a Cat.2 on Friday nights, Chauner named me Cannonball Kellogg, not because I was fast (I was) but because that old sweater looked like I got hit by a cannon ball. The name stuck.
    Tom Kellogg
    Rides bikes, makes 'em too.
    Spectrum-Cycles.com
    Butted Ti Road, Reynolds UL, Di2, QuarQ, Conour lite, SP Zero
    Steel Cross, X-7, Crank Bros, Concour Lite, Nemesis, Grifo
    Steel Piste, D-A Piste, PD-7400, Concour lite, Zipp 404
    http://kapelmuurindependent.be

Shortest TFC Member (5'6 3/4") & shrinking

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by davids View Post
    I needed all sorts of new clothes when I took up cycling. They came first, the cyclist in me followed. Thoreau was a poseur, anyways. His mom probably bought him an entire 'simple' wardrobe in downtown Concord before he strolled out to the pond.

...The pic's almost three years old now. It was a very good day. Coincidentally, the author of the article you linked was at the institution for the ritual.
    daid henry - ahhhh!
    transidentalism at it's best!

ronnie :)

Post Thanks / Like

you don't need to wear a necktie if you can hit

Post Thanks / Like

Ritual = shit, shower, and shave.
    Fit is directly proportional to fitness.

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Catulle View Post
    Ritual = shit, shower, and shave.
    and i bet you miss the old days when you had people do all this work for you atmo.
    just sayin'.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alfa75 View Post
    Wow, that just confirms our suspicions about what goes on in these places.
    Yale?