User Tag List

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Omnibus 2019-20 'Cross Season Is More Bad-A** Than Anything Else Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Omnibus 2019-20 'Cross Season Is More Bad-A** Than Anything Else Thread

Anyone following the World Cup "reforms" set to go into effect next year? "16 rounds compressed between October 11 and January 24, with races every Sunday" would mean an end to World Cups in the US, would threaten any other series in Europe, and would make Nationals in December pretty much impossible. What a disaster!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Omnibus 2019-20 'Cross Season Is More Bad-A** Than Anything Else Thread

Quote Originally Posted by rabo View Post
    He would never admit to that.
    He did flat once.
    I wonder if he makes it close so people will not stay home and just watch TV if he is on the starting line.
    Toon Aerts regressing this season, just when he was expected to close the gap with vdP and van Aert.
    Wasn't close today.

Aerts has been riding with his head down. You can see it. He should be leading Iserbyt instead he's chasing and running out of gas. Now he looks depressed while riding.

Swieck is such a diesel. Just missing a piece.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Wasn't close today.

Aerts has been riding with his head down. You can see it. He should be leading Iserbyt instead he's chasing and running out of gas. Now he looks depressed while riding.

Swieck is such a diesel. Just missing a piece.
    fyi: Todays race (Monday) it was Thijs Aerts (the brother of Toon) who was 3rd. He was so happy with that , and stated how priviledged he felt, to race bikes professionally.
    Nice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

fyi: Todays race (Monday) it was Thijs Aerts (the brother of Toon) who was 3rd. He was so happy with that , and stated how priviledged he felt, to race bikes professionally.
    Nice.
    Yes, I knew that. I was speaking generally about Toon over his last several starts.

Thijs on the other hand did indeed seem overjoyed with third. Maybe he is the one who will make some advances now.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He would never admit to that.
    He did flat once.
    I wonder if he makes it close so people will not stay home and just watch TV if he is on the starting line.
    Toon Aerts regressing this season, just when he was expected to close the gap with vdP and van Aert.
    I dunno about that. He's previously stated, in response to "VdP is making races boring" allegations that his job is to win races (which is in contrast to Sagan, who sees himself as an entertainer first). Also, after last week's Superprestige, in his interview, VdP was saying something about not feeling his best, before kind of catching himself when he realized that he still won by like 20 seconds.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jdp211 View Post
    I dunno about that. He's previously stated, in response to "VdP is making races boring" allegations that his job is to win races (which is in contrast to Sagan, who sees himself as an entertainer first). Also, after last week's Superprestige, in his interview, VdP was saying something about not feeling his best, before kind of catching himself when he realized that he still won by like 20 seconds.
    I know. That was telling. He definitely has a set of goals that exceed the scope of whoever he is competing against. And it isn't as simple as just competing against himself.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just catching up on my weekend CX viewing while making enchiladas on a cold wet day in Hillsdale. Annamarie Worst won both WC Tabor and DVV Flandriencross, and both were great races. What I liked was she didn't win on a technicality but played her strategy and picked the right time to fire the jets and take the win. And there's a nice competitive rivalry starting up between her and Ceylin Carmen Alvarado. Alvarado fought to the end of the race. And Cant had her first really good day at Tabor and Worst was not shy about putting it to her in the final corners. I wonder if Worst was feeling good and then left it too late on the Euro Champs, and that put a bit of fire in her belly.

Great moment at Tabor when Van der Poel won. He obviously had a great relationship with his granddad, and there were a couple of times in the past when Polidor was on the podium and gave Van der Poel such a loving squeeze, well you could see where VdP's power comes from.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2020 World Cyclocross Championships are in Dübendorf, about 10 km from where I lived when I was a resident there. Time to plan a trip!
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Polidor was on the podium and gave Van der Poel such a loving squeeze, well you could see where VdP's power comes from.
    This picture says it too:
    Ontroerend dubbelportret Matthieu van der Poel en overleden grootvader Poulidor
    | Radio 2, de grootste familie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On Sporza coverage of Ambiencecross I hear "betsema .... betsema .... betsema ..." from the presenters. Something up ?

Van der Poel and the Belgian terriers. Plus Pidcock.

Looked like VdP only got one bike dirty. Adri in the pits.
    Last edited by j44ke; 11-23-2019 at 08:51 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spy photos.

Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On Sporza coverage of Ambiencecross I hear "betsema .... betsema .... betsema ..." from the presenters. Something up ?.
    Did not see the womens race. All I read is that they still not know what she tested positive for. Frustrating for her and the whole affair bad for the sport.
    BTW Barely can hear the commentary over the noise of my Kurt Kinetic trainer that used to be so silent. Anybody ever have a bearing go out on a trainer?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been watching Mathieu Van der Poel race for a good seven or eight years now and he still amazes me with what he can do on a bike. He's caught up behind the first corner crash at Koksijde just now and drops from his third row start position to about 35th once he gets going again.

At the three minute mark of the race he is already up to 12th position!!!

And now at the 5 minute mark he is in fourth place!

And at the end of the first lap - 7:51 in - he's at the front.

Wow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did not see the womens race. All I read is that they still not know what she tested positive for. Frustrating for her and the whole affair bad for the sport.
    BTW Barely can hear the commentary over the noise of my Kurt Kinetic trainer that used to be so silent. Anybody ever have a bearing go out on a trainer?
    Magneto unit on a Cycleops self-destructed. Sounded like walnuts in a window fan. Not sure what happened inside. They sent me a new one.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kurt support is great. I had an issue with mine years ago and they replaced the fluid unit. Still going strong.
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

Most people wait for the muse to turn up. That's terribly unreliable. I have to sit down and pursue the muse by attempting to work.
    Nick Cave

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That was a great win for Ceylin Carmen Alvarado. So much fun to watch this year as things click for her. Several feints, stayed patient, then hit her spot on the last lap and launched downhill in the sand around Brand. Best to have your win at Koksijde be in the sand, I think, rather than in spite of it.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bdaghisallo View Post
    I have been watching Mathieu Van der Poel race for a good seven or eight years now and he still amazes me with what he can do on a bike. He's caught up behind the first corner crash at Koksijde just now and drops from his third row start position to about 35th once he gets going again.

At the three minute mark of the race he is already up to 12th position!!!

And now at the 5 minute mark he is in fourth place!

And at the end of the first lap - 7:51 in - he's at the front.

Wow.
    No one rides sand like he does. It’s like - what’s the problem? Just change ruts, go where you want, ride your bike, win.

From Eurosport presenter - averaging 25km/hr......on sand.
    Last edited by j44ke; 11-24-2019 at 05:04 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Blanka Kata Vas makes the podium in Essen with a big grin crossing the line. Also Anna Kay worked her way through a crowd to get on the podium. Granted almost none of the gang of consistent top 5 finishers were there, but nice to see who moves up when the opportunity presents itself.

Vos looked like Vos. But if anything, more fit.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Watching Zonhoven yesterday I was wondering if there's a unanimous course considered most difficult? Assuming neutral conditions my sofa perspective says Koksijde followed by Zonhoven or Tábor but I wonder what the racers say?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which one is the race where they always seem to be shooting down a muddy hill in the forest and then climbing back up a short ways further. The course is usually set up with large balloon like barriers at the bottom because plenty of riders get hung up in a rut or pick a bad line and go straight into the barriers along the side and at the bottom. That race always seems tough.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books