User Tag List

Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Omnibus 2019-20 'Cross Season Is More Bad-A** Than Anything Else Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Omnibus 2019-20 'Cross Season Is More Bad-A** Than Anything Else Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    I am still planning to attend the Worlds in Dübendorf. Any other Salonistas planning to attend? Planning Saturday and Sunday.

Switzerland needs a spark to revive their former strength in the sport of Radquer. It would be nice to see this event provide that spark.
    In U23 Kevin Kuhn and Loris Rouiller are doing really well.

Biggest issue is that there is a small Nys in junior already knocking at the door that we may see storm into the elite field really fast when he will be a u23.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Omnibus 2019-20 'Cross Season Is More Bad-A** Than Anything Else Thread

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    I think Switzerland will need to make some allowances in their immigration policy for CX racers.
    A quarter of the population in Switzerland is made of foreigner but there is no birthright citizenship and acquiring the nationality is a tedious and expensive process. Easier access to citizenship is definitely not going to happen in that decade given we are living in a world akin to pre WWII with all sort of far right nationalism everywhere.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    A quarter of the population in Switzerland is made of foreigner but there is no birthright citizenship and acquiring the nationality is a tedious and expensive process. Easier access to citizenship is definitely not going to happen in that decade given we are living in a world akin to pre WWII with all sort of far right nationalism everywhere.
    I was joking. I know Switzerland only makes exceptions for the immigration of professional tennis players.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's with the tv coverage lately? It seems for almost the whole season there is little/no tire coverage on the front row. That used to be one of the best parts of the coverage is seeing what tires each person was running and seeing how that translated to the course for them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So let's see - hire a pharmacist to make your supplements, and if you get popped for doping, then blame the pharmacist for not cleaning his/her beakers and swizzle sticks?

Who gets their supplements made by a pharmacist? Is that common?

Not going to be a happy crowd at Kasteelcross on Saturday.
    Last edited by j44ke; 01-21-2020 at 06:44 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thomspins View Post
    What's with the tv coverage lately? It seems for almost the whole season there is little/no tire coverage on the front row. That used to be one of the best parts of the coverage is seeing what tires each person was running and seeing how that translated to the course for them.

Seems like you only get that with Sporza on a predictable basis. Even then, they don't do it every time.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also TV coverage is much harder to get tod his year unless you sign on to the fubo's etc.
    Worlds live for free?
    Thank god for the torrents.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Who gets their supplements made by a pharmacist?
    That you have to take a ferry to visit, because you live on an island ...

The excuse doesn't surprise me. The disappointing decision doesn't, either.

Aside from whether I believe her story (I don't) at least Therese Johaug was given a full suspension from ski racing after her encounter with evil lip cream. To cut the suspension short seems short-sighted.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
    That you have to take a ferry to visit, because you live on an island ...

The excuse doesn't surprise me. The disappointing decision doesn't, either.

Aside from whether I believe her story (I don't) at least Therese Johaug was given a full suspension from ski racing after her encounter with evil lip cream. To cut the suspension short seems short-sighted.
    Ach, and Johaug still winning by 30 seconds or more.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You don't take DHEA in-season and expect to get away with it, if you're at the dope control every other race it seems.
    Apart from the apparently dubious benefit from it.
    I just don't understand that a profesional cross team lets his riders ingest anything that does not come through the team (doctor).
    Kathy Compton very outspoken.
    Never read her critcising her famous Trek team mates btw.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rabo View Post
    You don't take DHEA in-season and expect to get away with it, if you're at the dope control every other race it seems.
    I just don't understand that a profesional cross team lets his riders ingest anything that does not come through the team (doctor).
    Kathy Compton very outspoken.
    Never read her critcising her famous Trek team mates btw.
    She rides for a solo team sponsored by Trek. She has no teammates. She called out her competitor, as have many others.
    --------------------
    another jaunt
    REBAR

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rabo View Post
    Apparently it happens: Sofie De Vuyst's B-sample positive for anabolic steroids | Cyclingnews

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jstonebarger View Post
    Line up the pharmacists.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jstonebarger View Post
    That only proves my point: you got to be Belgian to think you can get away with steroids.
    Since Betsema is Dutch , it must have been an honest mistake.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess the "unintentional doping" defense is the tainted steak, absorbed twin or my dog ate my homework defense of the moment? What a crock.

Without getting too political, "I did it but it isn't a crime" is the same BS some in Washington DC consider a defense against removal from office.. and it's equally laughable here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cycling should get rid of that supplement + cafeine culture but it won't happen.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5" of rain is forecast for Dubendorf this week, though mostly Tuesday and Wednesday. Favorites for Worlds?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Geez, was a good mix of chances for everyone there at the end of Hoogerheide. Compton (earlier) and Alvarado (last moment) were tripped up by crashes. In Alvarado's case, she pulled a perfect move, capitalizing on Brand's poor remount skills to pass her at the top of the sand hill, but then I think Alvarado knew she couldn't just pass, she had to put some distance on Brand Worst et al because she hadn't been a winner in sprint finishes, so that put some pressure on her and she slipped in the off-camber. I found myself wondering if Alvarado had waited and followed Brand onto the off-camber if Brand would have been the one to slip off there instead of Alvarado - i.e. the pressure would have been reversed and so to would have been the slight mistake.

I expected Compton to slowly but surely come back after her bobble earlier, but she basically just held her position. But before that she was riding fairly aggressively in the early laps. Evie Richards looked really good but faded. Worst is the most consistent performer, and if Worst had been behind Alvarado instead of Brand, I think Worst would have definitely won Hoogerheide. But she did win the World Cup series, which was deserved.

I am pulling for Alvarado but I think Worst is going to win Worlds, possibly off a similar bobble towards the end by either Brand or Alvarado. And I think Cant will podium.

BTW, no Betsema at Worlds.
    Last edited by j44ke; 01-26-2020 at 04:48 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gotta give a shout out to fellow Madisonian and friend Caleb Swartz on his excellent 14th place today in the u23 race. Sprinted it out with Hecht. Awesome to see him riding so well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's great to see Cant racing well. Too little too late, maybe, for next week. But still...

I also wondered if Compton would come back after crashing. As Wyman said commented, though, the race was so fast that even pitting was costly. If Compton had any issues from the crash she may have had to live with them.