User Tag List

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Omnibus 2019-20 'Cross Season Is More Bad-A** Than Anything Else Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Omnibus 2019-20 'Cross Season Is More Bad-A** Than Anything Else Thread

This just in - Alvarado will race the elite worlds. Good decision I think.

Sweeck in Belgian colors! That's well deserved.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Omnibus 2019-20 'Cross Season Is More Bad-A** Than Anything Else Thread

Funny to be unable to find out who won womens nats in Holland on the Dutch newspaper sites last night.
    Pictures of MvdP with results; not so for the women.
    Plenty of womens speedskating reports.
    Richard Groenendaal said it years ago: " if a speed skater farts, it's on the first page".
    I wonder if the fact that the cross women are not supported like the male has something to do with racers dropping down the rankings like De Boer, Thalita de Jong (WC / injuries); Kastelein; Kaptheijns.
    Full pro speed skaters yes, pro cyclocross riders? No.

Dutch coach has one headache less with Vos being injured. How to keep the riders from racing each other and having (Cant?) win.
    I would say "race each other , just not with Cant on your wheel".
    Brand, Worst, Alvaro could be the podium.
    Gonna be fun to watch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think we are going to see a duel between Worst and Alvarado. But Brand has three weeks to work with Nys on turning and hill dismounts.

Maybe Alvarado should take up speed skating for cross training?

I don't know what to do with the Belgian Nationals. Cant won, Laura Verdonschot was second and ... Ellen Van Loy was third? Chapeau to Ellen Van Loy. She is just amazing. 39 years old! But I am not sure how good a sign that is for Belgian CX in the future.
    Last edited by j44ke; 01-14-2020 at 12:16 AM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    I think we are going to see a duel between Worst and Alvarado. But Brand has three weeks to work with Nys on turning and hill dismounts.

I don't know what to do with the Belgian Nationals. Cant won, Laura Verdonschot was second and ... Ellen Van Loy was third? Chapeau to Ellen Van Loy. She is just amazing. 39 years old! But I am not sure how good a sign that is for Belgian CX in the future.
    It's pretty telling that Cant won Belgian nationals easily but hasn't really been able to compete with the Dutch women this year. I don't think she'll be a factor at Worlds unless the weather is nasty, then all bets are off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Speed skaters do indeed a ton of training on the bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rabo View Post
    Funny to be unable to find out who won womens nats in Holland on the Dutch newspaper sites last night.
    Pictures of MvdP with results; not so for the women.
    Plenty of womens speedskating reports.
    Richard Groenendaal said it years ago: " if a speed skater farts, it's on the first page".
    I wonder if the fact that the cross women are not supported like the male has something to do with racers dropping down the rankings like De Boer, Thalita de Jong (WC / injuries); Kastelein; Kaptheijns.
    Full pro speed skaters yes, pro cyclocross riders? No.
    Interesting. I was just wondering if elite women in 'cross had more support in the Netherlands than in Belgium and if that could explain part of their dominance at the moment. Why I wondered: Elite women in Belgium raced Saturday, the day before the men; small crowd, no VIP boat, etc. In the Netherlands women raced Sunday, arguably in the most prized viewing slot after the men.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the support is embedded in the club systems, and culture.
    The road women having success and publicity attracts young riders.
    The races adding categories for women and juniors.
    It made me smile 2 years ago in March when there was some ice on the water- cold wind blowing- to see some kitted up young girls training on road bikes.
    The full pro women are on the road and not on the dirt side it seems.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay, I am stumped. What is a "nod" in an artery?

Marianne Vos undergoes successful surgery, released from hospital | Cyclingnews

Tomorrow is Nommay WC. Might be kind of a cagey race? Or test fire all the jets before Worlds?
    Last edited by j44ke; 01-18-2020 at 03:21 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a node

Okay, I am stumped. What is a "nod" in an artery?

Marianne Vos undergoes successful surgery, released from hospital | Cyclingnews

Tomorrow is Nommay WC. Might be kind of a cagey race? Or test fire all the jets before Worlds?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jstonebarger View Post
    Interesting. I was just wondering if elite women in 'cross had more support in the Netherlands than in Belgium and if that could explain part of their dominance at the moment. Why I wondered: Elite women in Belgium raced Saturday, the day before the men; small crowd, no VIP boat, etc. In the Netherlands women raced Sunday, arguably in the most prized viewing slot after the men.
    I think the success of dutch elite women in general, including road, track and mtb, comes from what I perceive is a slightly better bias towards gender equality in the Netherlands society compared to most other countries.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
    a node
    Yup, I’m assuming it’s the same iliac artery node PFP has had twice now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Britishbane View Post
    Yup, I’m assuming it’s the same iliac artery node PFP has had twice now.
    Uh if that’s the case, it’s a bit of a long recovery. Lotsa cyclists have had this. Our own Dan T did (have this) several years ago. If this is the same condition, most start the comeback from absolute zero.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Article says 6 weeks recovery before she can start any preparations for the season.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Article says 6 weeks recovery before she can start any preparations for the season.
    Sounds right, though ambitious.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I heard an interview from Julien Absalon (current partner and somewhat coach of PFP) where he was saying part of the reason PFP made such a quick comeback was the use of e-mtb during the recovery period. While she wasn't allowed to put a lot of watts on her recovering leg she could still do some cardio exercise, work with the other leg and train her upper body and skillset.

This was probably biaised because Absalon is sponsored by moustache, a dedicated e-bike brand, but there may be some truth in the fact that riders can start riding before they are fully recovered.
    Last edited by sk_tle; 01-18-2020 at 08:56 PM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    I heard an interview from Julien Absalon (current partner and somewhat coach of PFP) where he was saying part of the reason PFP made such a quick comeback was the use of e-mtb during the recovery period. While she wasn't allowed to put a lot of watts on her recovering leg she could still do some cardio exercise, work with the other leg and train her upper body and skillset.

This was probably biaised because Absalon is sponsored by moustache, a dedicated e-bike brand, but there may be some truth in the fact that riders can start riding before they are fully recovered.
    Alas a good reason for these things to exist.
    JK.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well Ferrand Prevot came back quickly but now she’s had to have another surgery so....

Ferrand-Prevot forced to undergo another surgery, will miss French CX champs – VeloNews.com
    Last edited by j44ke; 01-18-2020 at 09:05 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    I think the success of dutch elite women in general, including road, track and mtb, comes from what I perceive is a slightly better bias towards gender equality in the Netherlands society compared to most other countries.
    It is much more than "slightly" . Look at the placings of Belgian Women and juniors in international races. I heard the Sporza commentators say " we need to know who is responsible in Belgian cycling for the poor performance of Belgian (especially junior) women.
    I think infrastructure (a safe place to ride) is a big factor as well. It's been a while, but when you cross the north border into Belgian you know it. (Of course the is no border anymore).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Apparently gender equality and safe sport can go a long way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I won't post the spoiler results of the women's World Cup race at Nommay just concluded, but watch the last two laps for some excellent lessons on going tape to tape and not being afraid to force your opponent into a wide line. Great tactical stuff.

Now for the Men's race starting in a few minutes.