Thread: The old ways or why dinosaurs matter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: The old ways or why dinosaurs matter

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Beaudoin View Post
    This hits the nail. Although I have a career and not enough free time, about once a month I work a Saturday in our LBS. Today I’m the 50 something mechanic and I’ll get a coffee on the way in. The shop is in a 100+ year old house which became a bike shop in the early 70s. I met the owner when I moved here in the 90s working in the bike industry. His son owns it now and I’m flattered that he values my ancient knowledge enough to ask me. And I get the social contact lacking from my career. The younger staff think I know everyone in town and sometimes save special (vintage or unusual) jobs for days when I’m in.
    It’s a shop with tons old parts in every nook with a very different feel from the slick Trek store/REI type of fast food shop.
    I hope that's me in a two years. I've spent my lifetime as an engineer but I plan on retiring about this time next year. I used two years of my GI Bill for a masters, I plan on using the remainder for UBI to learn the new stuff. I know how to tune a friction shift drivetrain but I don't know about electronic stuff. The town we're moving to in Wyoming has one shop and I could see myself working a few days a month repairing bikes. I don't need the money, I need the solace of wrenching and having it all work at the end.
    Weight Doper

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you are a car nerd and live near this shop, show up on a Saturday morning. Multi-generational dinosaur.

https://dominick-european-car-repair.business.site/

Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A type of accumulated knowledge that allows someone to look at any system - new or old - and recognize the principles at work in order to diagnose a problem and the solution. And the only way to get that type of accumulated knowledge is to accumulate it - i.e. time spent bent over problem after problem until the patterns start to appear...
    This is what Matthew Crawford talks about in Shop Class as Soulcraft. We seem to have been trending away from this pattern in America but I'm hopeful the pendulum is swinging back the other way. For example, in the building trades, where accumulated skill of this kind is rapidly being lost, there's an effort to get young people into apprenticeships, and it's having some results. You can bait kids with the prospect of money, because journeyman electricians or plumbers can easily get into six figures, but Crawford also observes that in that kind of work, you're safe from offshoring in a way that nothing computer-related can match. His comment is, "There is nobody in India who can fix your toilet!"

Also, I've been watching a lot of the NHK-World TV channel from Japan, and they have a whole series of features on people who've hand-built cabinetry, or pieced together broken ceramics (yes, this is a thing, and it's miraculous), or made dumplings, for sixty years or something... traditional Japanese culture reveres this kind of accumulated knowledge in a way we could learn something from.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
    I miss independent, family owned businesses dot period. I can see no upside in the Rollerball-ization of our trade. Two or three corporate behemoths owning all the key brands. And the majority of bicycle frames coming out of a waffle iron with little more than a color or label change to differentiate.

It’s funny. People will grow up with all this ^ and never know what the human touch or personal contact are.
    So what will you do when someone offers 6-or7 figures for the Richard Sachs name?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rabo View Post
    So what will you do when someone offers 6-or7 figures for the Richard Sachs name?
    I've tried on multiple occasions to do just that and all I get are long obtuse essays with pictures of handmade guitars and neat gardens.

Best I can get out of him are a vague promise to unlimited rights to Richard's Socks.
    Last edited by Too Tall; 10-16-2021 at 04:00 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seeing the thread mentions dinosaurs, maybe the crusty old frame builder will be cloned via the efforts of a wealthy yet eccentric bike collector and hence long obtuse essays with pictures of handmade guitars and neat gardens, as well as delivery of a Porsche Aubergine bike for the benefit of a chat forum in an obscure corner of the net will continue on ad infinitum.

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rabo View Post
    I’ll turn it down for the third time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’ll turn it down for the third time.
    Wow! Putting the money ( that your not getting ) where your mouth is!
    Chapeau!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But I do find it great that riders can buy competitive race bikes for a price that a young racer may be able to afford.
    Linkhttps://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IfQCGoGHIEY
    Last edited by rabo; 10-16-2021 at 06:00 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like my bike shop to not look like a marketing department's version of a 5 star lodge. Smells, crustiness and patina are big

re: NPR
    Our local NPR is the all talk show version, it will grate on you after a while. I can only stomach so many vingettes from someone who alighted from the UWS to like CT for a long weekend and discovered the weed eater, then their musings get passed off as a TED talk

When we visit family in northeast PA (aka NEPA) the local NPR consists of music interspersed with news every so often and the talk shows are a bit more selective as far as content quality. Much more relaxed, almost makes a move to Wilkes-Barre extremely palatable. Plus there's some awesome old school real estate that would make an interesting neighborhood shop

Or I could probably just stream it:)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stumbled across this place today... Sadie's Bikes - 42a Canal St, Turners Falls, MA 01376 - a few clicks north of Deerfield.

This guy has a wall of parts bins full of Suntour derailleurs (for starters).

Among other things.

I like this shop...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Owls on the top shelf would be enough to convince me! Fun!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Let's begin with >> Wheelfine Imports Pro Bike Shop http://www.wheelfineimports.com/Home.html

Mr. Michael Johnson, owner and operator of Wheelfine Imports bike shop is a hold out. He does business on his own terms. When I see his phone number pop up on my cell I know we will spend some time talking about life, bikes and why tubulars matter. For the record Mike is the only business whom I will manually enter a CC into my system because dinosaurs matter my friends.

Talk to me about your experiences with business, not just bicycles, that ring the bell.

-J

Pull quote from Wheelfine’s website:

Today, Wheelfine Imports is one of the few holdouts in the bike industry not being strong-armed by the Big 5 companies who want to see cloned dealership-like flagship stores and like-branded products everywhere, with no interest in the art of building a bicycle from the frame up especially for a client.
    "Humilis humilibus...Inflectans arroganibus....."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ides1056 View Post
    If you are a car nerd and live near this shop, show up on a Saturday morning. Multi-generational dinosaur.
    This was a wonderful share! Many thanks ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by El Chaba View Post
    Pull quote from Wheelfine’s website:

Today, Wheelfine Imports is one of the few holdouts in the bike industry not being strong-armed by the Big 5 companies who want to see cloned dealership-like flagship stores and like-branded products everywhere, with no interest in the art of building a bicycle from the frame up especially for a client.
    Ain't it great?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

…..And the majority of bicycle frames coming out of a waffle iron with little more than a color or label change to differentiate.
    Exactly….So at the absolute pinnacle of the sport, the Tour de France, a huge deal is made each year when one of the big five ( or whatever the hell single digit integer you choose) bike companies provides a special custom bike for their sponsored rider who happens to be in the yellow Jersey….This special custom bike is right out of the same mold as every other one in that particular one of three sizes EXCEPT for the special paint job….invariably some hideous application of yellow over the basic black…because everything is black on bikes right now. Of course, cycling news and all of the others websites run features on the “ custom” bike .
    "Humilis humilibus...Inflectans arroganibus....."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Naturally enough James Bond has a thing or two to say on this topic:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From a NJ friend:

I've been many times--this is basically in my hometown (10 miles away). The owner is a nut but a great mechanic. He's the last of a dying breed. I have all sorts of stories about him but I've basically been stopping in there sporadically since I first got into cycling. I remember him being the only person excited about helping me do a fixed gear conversion. One of my oldest riding buddies helps out around the shop too. The place is a MESS and he is sitting on so much stuff because he refuses to lower prices, ever. Not sure if someone will some day buy him out but he's getting quite old.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
    Wheelfine is a pretty awesome shop. There are some pretty epic routes i like to do every year that pass right by there. Always stop in, fill a water bottle and ogle the fun stuff in there.
    What I miss a lot is small town auto parts stores.
    That descent from Wheelfine down to Pleasant Valley Rd is some of the best fun you can have on a bicycle. Echoing your sentiments on auto parts stores; I’m a firm believer that every town should have an auto parts store. Most people operate cars, so why not

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by J_B View Post
    That descent from Wheelfine down to Pleasant Valley Rd is some of the best fun you can have on a bicycle. Echoing your sentiments on auto parts stores; I’m a firm believer that every town should have an auto parts store. Most people operate cars, so why not
    To parallel your sentiment about auto stores I believe every town should have a real good hardware store. The type with the million drawers of screws, nuts, and parts of all sorts of different shapes and sizes. We have just one left in a town 20 miles away.
    I am tired of big box stores that offer almost mid level tools and no-one know where anything is.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast