Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Off the wall question

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Off the wall question

We sold a $15K to someone who wants an indicator to tell him what gear he is in. Easy if you are Shimano but the gruppo is Record Super 11. Campy does not make Ergobrain any more. Since this is a net full of inventive people I was hoping for a helpful suggestion when you stop laughing.

Bruce
    Livin The Dream in Surf City USA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Off the wall question

I think you should setup a camera so he can see the drivetrain on his iphone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tell him for $150 an hour you'll ride alongside him and let him know what gear he's in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I bet you could get the D-A in-line indicators to work, too, as the precision of a ball moving in a tube strikes me as less than the difference between Shimano and Campy shift pull. You'd have to mount it at the stem, where the cable exits the bar wrap. (Oh shit, SR is 11 speed ain't it...)

Alternately, down tube shifters give a clear indication of what gear you're in... Perhaps a mirror strategically placed on the right fork blade would allow him to see the chain on the cassette?

With a cadence counting computer, this should be easy enough to figure out, actually. Maybe the iPhone idea is the right one...
    Last edited by christian; 10-27-2010 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Realized SR is 11 speed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tell him to learn how to bend his neck and look down
    Friends don't let friends ride clinchers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tell him all the cool dentist are on fixies these days, and sell him an ENO hubset laced to Zipp 808 rims.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Edstrom View Post
    I bet you could get the D-A in-line indicators to work, too, as the precision of a ball moving in a tube strikes me as less than the difference between Shimano and Campy shift pull. You'd have to mount it at the stem, where the cable exits the bar wrap. (Oh shit, SR is 11 speed ain't it...)

Alternately, down tube shifters give a clear indication of what gear you're in... Perhaps a mirror strategically placed on the right fork blade would allow him to see the chain on the cassette?

With a cadence counting computer, this should be easy enough to figure out, actually. Maybe the iPhone idea is the right one...
    If what I read on the intenets about cable pull is true then the DA indicator would probably work as a relative hi-lo indicator.

Looking down is free, and means no putting shimano parts on an SR build though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking down is out if the question, you'd have to remove 3" of spacers before it would be safe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

does he also have a gear indicator for his automatic porsche turbo? sometimes saying no is the right thing to do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You guys are bad. Might try the XTR indicators but we have to figure out "where" . It is not like he is a newbie but there are people who are challenged in ways we don't expect. As long as the CC clears I am fine with it all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i would put a da indicator in the gear housing
    would work fine i bet

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You should just tell him that he needs to spend another 3k and have someone hack something up out of a polar powermeter sensor and a cadence sensor?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sure somebody can come up with a solution utilizing some programing, a battery or dynamo hub and modification of some sort of modified heavy machinery DRO to translate cable length pulled to what gear he's in, they can probably throw some other readouts in there and maybe even make it transmit ant+ so he can have it be one of the display fields on his Garmin

BUT WHY?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Get a clear straw.

Put a mark on the cable after the DT boss and put the cable through the straw.

Mount the straw on the downtube.

Mark the straw at each gear position so it lines up with the mark on the cable.

Now all he has to do is get off the bike, turn it upside down and he can check what gear he is in.

This would work for the front mech as well.

This might work better if you sell him a new bike with top tube routed cables.

-Eric

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sort of reminds me of

“Watch the pros on TV the way they pedal. Probably I am an old man, but this is my opinion. I think it is more important to have a good position and learn to ride the bike correctly, than to have the latest carbon frame.” Dario Pegoretti
    Cheers Dazza
    The rock star is dying. And it's a small tragedy. Rock stars have blogs now. I have no use for that kind of rock star.
    Nick Cave

www.llewellynbikes.com
    The usual Facebook page
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/llewellyncustombicycles/
    Darrell Llewellyn McCulloch

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are people who want the latest and greatest and also have different priorities. How many times have all of you who are somehow involved in the trade had a customer come in driving a car that costs more than your house who beats you to death for a discount. The stories are endless and I just don't question it anymore. There are people who like expensive things such as a Garmin 705. Its on his bike but he is challenged to turn it on. So what. The bike fits the person like it is supposed to, everything works correctly, it looks like it costs, life is good and I have a job for another day. I thought the thread would bring a few "experts" out and you would have fun with it. I need some fun in my life right now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

to each his own. if the dude wants a gear indicator that'll prevent him from looking down and swerving into traffic, that's fine with me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i don't see a real solution being possible, unless an electronics outfit comes up with something similar to the old shimano flight deck. hidden cables on modern shifters prevents the use of inline. honestly, teach the guy how to live without it. he might thank you one day for the incredible bike and the new found ability to ride "in sync" with his equipment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I equate this to people I teach that want to write in the name of the notes. They tell me, "I learn the music faster that way." I wouldn't be doing my job as a teacher if I didn't point out the benefits of learning to read music the right way.

Just because you can (in this case, can't) doesn't mean you should. There is such a thing as saying no. Tell him that if the gear he chooses make a chain rubbing sound then he should switch rings. It's as simple as that. Just because he has money he shouldn't be treated any differently than anyone else. Why should he pay for ignorance? Throwing money at the problem never solved anything.

-Eric

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast