Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: NO SPOILERS: 2016 TDF smack talk and viewing modes: NO SPOILERS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default NO SPOILERS: 2016 TDF smack talk and viewing modes: NO SPOILERS

NBC Sports Gold. The price went up however you do get more races than TDF.

Let's get it on.

Favorites, predictions etc. etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 2016 TDF smack talk and viewing modes

I predict a lot of stem staring. A lot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My picks, nothing too earth shattering here. I actually hope I am wrong and there are more surprises than these:

Podium - Quintana, FroomeDog, Contador Polka Dot - Dan Martin. Green- Sagan. White- Warren Barguil Best Team - Movistar

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KonaSS View Post
    My picks, nothing too earth shattering here. I actually hope I am wrong and there are more surprises than these:

Podium - Quintana, FroomeDog, Contador Polka Dot - Dan Martin. Green- Sagan. White- Warren Barguil Best Team - Movistar
    Good picks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Free to Air HD TV down under (shame its the middle of the night though).

Froome is the number 1 favourite. If Movistar take some risks then maybe Quintana can knock Froome off. They have to believe and not simply ride to preserve podium positions, which is what they did last year until right at the end, by which time it was too late. I don't see Contador beating either of Froome or Quintana unless the race gets turned on its head somehow (cross-winds, bad weather, extreme heat, a crash due to race pressure - see the Giro for example).

The stage into Andorra looks a cracker as does the stage over the Grand Columbier with its interesting finishing circuit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My girlfriend has ridden four rides totaling maybe twenty five miles and already appears to have smoother handling skill than Froome. I have never seen him stop pedaling, so I cannot confirm my suspicion that he would fail to unclip his cleat properly and fall over upon stopping. Because I have not personally seen this happen yet, admittedly my idea is only about 94% accurate at this point.

Go Nairo.
    justin rogers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lemond.
    DT

http://www.mjolnircycles.com/

Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

"the fun outweighs the suck, and the suck hasn't killed me yet." -- chasea

"Sometimes, as good as it feels to speak out, silence is the only way to rise above the morass. The high road is generally a quiet route." -- echelon_john

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GC: Hopeful that Contador has enough left in those aging legs to give Froome a good scare and that Movistar rides to win not to place or show. Nothing wrong with podiums at the TdF of course but time to dislodge the Sky train. If that is possible. The others that think about winning will likely concede that top five is great (Porte, Aru, etc).

Sprints: Should be pretty exciting and full of carnage with 5-6 teams trying to control the finale. Cav has slipped down the ladder as he gets older but he'll be there in the mix and could steal a win or two. Kittle and The Gorilla should go at it pretty hard the first week and then there are a handful of others that will make the sprints and the Green jersey competition very interesting. I'm hoping to see Degenkolb and Sagan go head to head for the entire three weeks and green could be the most exciting part of the tour.

Spotty: Crazy prediction - Nibali loses 1.5 hours in the first 8 days then makes an insane run at the spotted jersey capped with a win in Morzine. More seriously, if not one of the GC men then perhaps Rodriguez or maybe Rolland. Anyone but Voeckler.

Young Rider: Alaphilippe maybe depending on his job for the team.

Dream finish on Stage 20... Sagan hanging on during the climb then drops everyone on the descent.

Whatever happens it'll be entertaining. Hopes for a safe race with only drama coming from the riders performance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    GC: Hopeful that Contador has enough left in those aging legs to give Froome a good scare and that Movistar rides to win not to place or show. Nothing wrong with podiums at the TdF of course but time to dislodge the Sky train. If that is possible. The others that think about winning will likely concede that top five is great (Porte, Aru, etc).

Sprints: Should be pretty exciting and full of carnage with 5-6 teams trying to control the finale. Cav has slipped down the ladder as he gets older but he'll be there in the mix and could steal a win or two. Kittle and The Gorilla should go at it pretty hard the first week and then there are a handful of others that will make the sprints and the Green jersey competition very interesting. I'm hoping to see Degenkolb and Sagan go head to head for the entire three weeks and green could be the most exciting part of the tour.

Spotty: Crazy prediction - Nibali loses 1.5 hours in the first 8 days then makes an insane run at the spotted jersey capped with a win in Morzine. More seriously, if not one of the GC men then perhaps Rodriguez or maybe Rolland. Anyone but Voeckler.

Young Rider: Alaphilippe maybe depending on his job for the team.

Dream finish on Stage 20... Sagan hanging on during the climb then drops everyone on the descent.

Whatever happens it'll be entertaining. Hopes for a safe race with only drama coming from the riders performance.
    I'd really enjoy watching your version of the tour. Particularly that Sagan vs. Degenkolb battle.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tony Martin. Its his to lose this year.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm hoping to not allow the race to consume my soul for three weeks, though I realize that is a hollow hope as I have no will power against the Tour when it is on television. Sort of like reading a really good book that causes you to burn the toast, put the milk in the oven and the cat in the fridge. I usually do lots of bike maintenance while watching the stages, so my bikes come out shiny and silent. So there's that. But otherwise I am ridiculously unproductive, and that's saying a lot, coming from a poet. Unproductivity is my metier.

I hope there is a new face at the front ala Steven Kruijswijk or some such. I have no animosity towards Chris Froome. I just like the drama of a new guy at the front, at least for a fistful of stages.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Froome will crack this year
    Friends don't let friends ride clinchers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jjmstang View Post
    I hope you're right. But methinks Sky still has the best 'program' and we're in for another snoozefest, GC-wise, with Chris Froome in yellow come Champs time. Personally, I'm holding out hope that Contador can go out in style but I can't see it happening.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cancellara got another bike. Where is he going to put them all? Switzerland is just not that big of a country.

Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Cancellara got another bike. Where is he going to put them all? Switzerland is just not that big of a country.

Bit of a dog's breakfast, this one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jjmstang View Post
    Froome is on crack this year.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glad to see a TDF smack talk started. I predict Sky is going to steamroll these suckers on a scale unlike anything ever seen before. They have assembled one of the absolute strongest teams in recent Tour history. I know the other GC contenders are hoping Chris is going to break his foot again because, that is the only hope in hell they have of beating this guy.

He is going to take those 177.5 cranks of his, with those extreme asymmetric Rotor rings, and give them what he gave them at the Dauphine. Nairu is the ONLY cat with a rats ass chance of getting close. But even he, is hoping Chris gets tired in the last week. He obviuosly didn’t get the memo because, Chris only gets tired at the Veulta, and never the TDF.
    Milton "Proparc" Graham

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hate to say it, but I picked Froome. Dude is riding high on maximal juice. I want Snaggletooth(Dan Martin) to show up though. Whats up with Kristoff?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not much love for Astana around here. They're bringing quite the line-up. Just sayin'...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post

Ugly. I'd refuse to ride that.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast