User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0

Thread: New Pogliaghi Classico question...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default New Pogliaghi Classico question...

I was looking at the new but vintage-styled Pogliaghi Classico road frameset offered by Basso and was curious why the bottom bracket features British threading. Does that mean the frame is made in Asia, or is it supposedly easier to get new 'vintage' bottom brackets with that threading vs the Italian that would usually appear on these reissues?

One would think Basso would have these fabricated there in Italy, but as everything seems to be going to either China or Taiwan maybe that's not a surprise to be jobbed to Asia.

Has anyone seen these in person and if so, are they well made?

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: New Pogliaghi Classico question...

Probably says more about the market in which they plan to sell them, rather than anything about bottom bracket availability. However, if the rear spacing is also 130mm, they probably imagine that most people will install modern components and those are perhaps more readily available in English threading. But you should just contact them - contact@pogliaghiitalcorsemilano.com or give them a call - Tel.+39 0444 590033
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmm....well, the Basso-made Pogs from the 80s are pretty nice, so if they've maintained some sense of decorum, they will probably still be. But then, the contact info above could give you more information than my simple-minded postulations. I have a transition-period Pog, myself, which has been alternatively dated between 1978 and 1981, so it might be Maestro Sante's build and it might be Marc Rossin's build. Either way, it's one of those bikes that you never part with.

This is the first I've heard of this revival of the name, so I'm definitely going to check them out!
    Michael Maddox
    Tallahassee, FL
    http://oldfartcycling.org/

Cycling isn't a sport. It's more like a really, really expensive eating disorder. (Mr. Tom, BikeForums 2008)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Steel bikes have moved in and out of the Basso lineup in recent years. Up until a few years ago they produced a filet-brazed Viper (I have one from around 2000) and I think they were made in-house. There was also a lugged steel frame a couple years back - maybe this got rebadged as a Pog?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The new Pogs look nice. Don't know much about Mannesman tubing other than it's German and was what the old Oria tubes were. They certainly are pretty and the price isn't bad either. I'm digging the white one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just love the fastback seat stay! You really can't get that detail anymore without spending big bucks on a custom frameset. The Cinelli Supercorsa comes close, but it isn't quite as nicely rendered as this Pogliaghi. I've always loved the Pogliaghi frameset and wish I'd bought one back in the day. Yes, I know it's in name only, but that name still has a strong pull and so does that clean stay design.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbolina View Post
    I just love the fastback seat stay! You really can't get that detail anymore without spending big bucks on a custom frameset. The Cinelli Supercorsa comes close, but it isn't quite as nicely rendered as this Pogliaghi. I've always loved the Pogliaghi frameset and wish I'd bought one back in the day. Yes, I know it's in name only, but that name still has a strong pull and so does that clean stay design.
    I'm hoping the Pogs have better paint than the Cinellis though...my Rosso Ferrari SuperCorsa was great to look at, but the paint chipped if you stared too long.
    Michael Maddox
    Tallahassee, FL
    http://oldfartcycling.org/

Cycling isn't a sport. It's more like a really, really expensive eating disorder. (Mr. Tom, BikeForums 2008)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by oopfoo View Post
    I'm hoping the Pogs have better paint than the Cinellis though...my Rosso Ferrari SuperCorsa was great to look at, but the paint chipped if you stared too long.
    I have two Bassos made in the 2000's and the paint is superb, much better than those old Cinellis, in both finish and durability.