Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Mavic Rims(?)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: New Mavic Rims(?)

I can't answer whether the name, nor any cycling brand name, carries prestige. But they're still making good wheels. Some very good ones, actually.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Serious question: would this rim, or any other similar carbon rim, and I’m thinking NOX Composites or Boyd 28 here, have any advantage over its aluminum counterpart? There’s virtually no weight advantage. Is there a strength or stiffness or ride quality advantage anyone can seriously comment on?

I ask because I have a set of hubs in need of rims. I don’t really need carbon rims though since they’re for a French bike it would be sort of cool to have French rims... not sure if my beloved 585s were made in France or not or if these Mavic rims are French made.

I can’t really see dropping that kind of money on a carbon rim unless we think there is actually some performance advantage. Weight is clearly not it.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Serious answer: it depends. It's easy to look at weights listed on a site and determine that the carbon isn't worth it, but out on the road good carbon rims ride great. So do good aluminum rims, but I don't think they measure up if you're looking for a wheel that handles road racing like conditions. And I'm a big fan of aluminum rimmed wheels and always have a bunch in rotation, but there's something about the way a good carbon rim spins up and responds to hard accelerations and cornering. I've also had some carbon wheels that felt dead and sluggish and uninspiring. So, again, it depends...on what you want out of the wheels (performance, comfort, reliability for JRA, etc.) and whether it's worth it to you to spend the extra coin for small gains.

Also, while I don't technically have the Mavic rims in questions, I do have two wheelsets from them made with similar rims. They're great. Smooth but stiff out of the saddle. Shallow enough that they don't get blown around at all and wider than the aluminum equivalents for a nice tire profile. I've had multiple sets of HED Belgiums over the years and I'd say the Ksyrium Carbon, similar depth and width and both with steel spokes, definitely out performs the HEDs. They're also more expensive, so that's not surprising.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Of course, if these don’t brake well, then forget it. Does anyone have any actual experience with the rims?
    Not with these *actual* rims, but with a set of fairly recent Mavic carbon wheels (Ksyrium Pro Carbon SL tubulars), yes.

Actually their braking surface was pretty good and very effective. I wouldn't write these off on the assumption that the braking is going to be poor if they have the same brake surface treatment as my Pro Carbon SLs had, because that would be unfounded.

There must be 6 of us who are still Mavic fans. Hell, there's a set of CCUs going locally at a really good price that I'd gladly snap up if weren't trying to find a groupset for my Woody, despite their 'old' narrow width...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good point Rich. I forgot to mention the braking. The carbon Mavics are really good when dry and pretty good when wet. Only the Campy/Fulcrum is better for carbon. They’re both pretty close to uncoated aluminum. Exalith and the like are the best, but even those vary from brand to brand. Mavic is the best of the ones I’ve tried. In any event, good carbon shouldn’t be counted out when it comes to braking.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think these would be the bee's knees, especially for a disc brake bike, or for lightweight riders who don't want to get blown around on deep wheels. These may be in my future.
    Alex Cortez

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by alexstar View Post
    I think these would be the bee's knees, especially for a disc brake bike, or for lightweight riders who don't want to get blown around on deep wheels. These may be in my future.
    Apropos of nothing...I'm now riding some 36mm deep modern-wide style carbon rims and they are WAY less impacted by blustery conditions than a pair of shallow Pacenti SL23 rims I have. Looking at the two rims, that's not the way you would complete the multiple choice, but it's the way it is. Night and Day.
    Colin Mclelland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anyone have any real experience with the new aluminum version?
    Open Pro UST - Endurance - Rims - Road and Triathlon | Mavic

I may be a sucker but open pro rims still have a place in my heart.

-Pom

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Colinmclelland View Post
    Apropos of nothing...I'm now riding some 36mm deep modern-wide style carbon rims and they are WAY less impacted by blustery conditions than a pair of shallow Pacenti SL23 rims I have. Looking at the two rims, that's not the way you would complete the multiple choice, but it's the way it is. Night and Day.
    Just curious, what rims are you riding? As mentioned above, I may have a set built at some point and in spite of the cost, I'm toying with having carbon rims. These Mavics are the butt of my jokes, but they do look like nice rims.

I also have had some Pacenti SL25s (sold them) but I didn't experience what you're describing. I did feel my old Campagnolo Nucleon tubulars were occasionally susceptible to gusty winds. I always put it down to the bladed spokes.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    Why would you need a wider rim? Are you using >32mm tubulars?
    Yes, for cyclocross.
    Lou D'Amelio
    Bucks County PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    Serious question: would this rim, or any other similar carbon rim, and I’m thinking NOX Composites or Boyd 28 here, have any advantage over its aluminum counterpart? There’s virtually no weight advantage. Is there a strength or stiffness or ride quality advantage anyone can seriously comment on?
    My experience is only in the woods, with composite rims by Special__ed/Roval (650b x 38mm). And I'm simply amazed at the toughness. I've bottomed out the tires often enough and hard enough that I'd have certainly been blacksmithing an aluminum rim back into shape. I've rolled and banged and scraped plenty of rocks, there are scuffs but no major scars. And I once sheared two spokes with a stick (two adjacent spokes out of 28) and not only was it still rideable, it was one of the easiest wheel repairs I've ever done.

PS My theory in crosswinds is shape more than depth of section, and bluntness on the inner edge is good. Sharp-edge airfoils have really sharp (no pun intended) stall characteristics. The inner edge is the leading edge on the rear quarter of the front wheel, so if that is long and sharp (like old Mavic Cosmic, Spinergy, or Campy Shamal), or short and sharp like Nucleon/Neutron, it's going to stall and shed flow suddenly and feel unstable in crosswinds.
    Tee Aitch

Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring. -- Desmond Tutu

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thollandpe View Post
    My experience is only in the woods, with composite rims by Special__ed/Roval (650b x 38mm). And I'm simply amazed at the toughness. I've bottomed out the tires often enough and hard enough that I'd have certainly been blacksmithing an aluminum rim back into shape. I've rolled and banged and scraped plenty of rocks, there are scuffs but no major scars. And I once sheared two spokes with a stick (two adjacent spokes out of 28) and not only was it still rideable, it was one of the easiest wheel repairs I've ever done.

PS My theory in crosswinds is shape more than depth of section, and bluntness on the inner edge is good. Sharp-edge airfoils have really sharp (no pun intended) stall characteristics. The inner edge is the leading edge on the rear quarter of the front wheel, so if that is long and sharp (like old Mavic Cosmic, Spinergy, or Campy Shamal), or short and sharp like Nucleon/Neutron, it's going to stall and shed flow suddenly and feel unstable in crosswinds.
    I'm familiar with the sharp rims... My ENVE 45 tubulars have a pretty pronounced V-shape and they can be a handful in gusty winds. I had some 3.4s and they were much better.

As to the toughness of carbon, this is beyond doubt in general. My new Zanconato has DT-Swiss rims and I expect they'll last forever. The Mavic Open Pro carbons are interesting, for sure. Expensive though.... I do like the carbon look. It's almost a retro look with the weave visible. Many of today's carbon rims have a uniform matte finish.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ldamelio View Post
    Yes, for cyclocross.
    Well there is already the velocity major tom in the market for that particular usage. I also had great experiences with cheap carbon rims from the far east that are truly indestructible. While I have some reserve choosing a relatively unknown supplier regarding the efficiency of the brake track and the quality of the sidewall in a clincher or tubeless context, building tubular rims is not rocket science and running disc brakes eliminate one parameter. In that case I have had no reserve getting generic rims and so far so good experience has been great after half a decade or riding them.

I'd tend to say this niche market is already nicely cornered, no need for a mavic rim for that.
    Last edited by sk_tle; 12-09-2019 at 05:48 PM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ldamelio View Post
    Yes, for cyclocross.

Seems like tubulars for cyclocross is one thing that carbon rims do really well, especially now that disc brakes have become the standard. Dura Ace C40's abound.
    Last edited by j44ke; 12-09-2019 at 05:57 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seems like tubulars for cyclocross is one thing that carbon rims do really well, especially now that disc brakes have become the standard. Dura Ace C40's abound.
    Tubular and disc... why go to Dura ace? A chinese cheaper rim will do the job. That´s the main advantage of discs; no need to worry about brake tracks on carbon rims.
    I came here for the socks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    Just curious, what rims are you riding? As mentioned above, I may have a set built at some point and in spite of the cost, I'm toying with having carbon rims. These Mavics are the butt of my jokes, but they do look like nice rims.

I also have had some Pacenti SL25s (sold them) but I didn't experience what you're describing. I did feel my old Campagnolo Nucleon tubulars were occasionally susceptible to gusty winds. I always put it down to the bladed spokes.
    I used to have HED C2 rims and never had an issue. They wore through and i replaced them with Pacenti SL23. Round spokes, but 32s. Whatever, they gut buffeted!

The carbon rims are November Bicycles RCG 36. Bladed spokes but 24/28. These RCG36 Disc Wheels – November Bicycles. You would never know it was windy.

Luescher Teknic have done a cut up for a generic Chinese carbon rim and an Enve rim, and prima facie you'd rather be riding the Chinese one! It was quite surprising.

Colin Mclelland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Colinmclelland View Post
    I used to have HED C2 rims and never had an issue. They wore through and i replaced them with Pacenti SL23. Round spokes, but 32s. Whatever, they gut buffeted!

The carbon rims are November Bicycles RCG 36. Bladed spokes but 24/28. These RCG36 Disc Wheels – November Bicycles. You would never know it was windy.

Luescher Teknic have done a cut up for a generic Chinese carbon rim and an Enve rim, and prima facie you'd rather be riding the Chinese one! It was quite surprising.

In general I like his videos and I’ve seen this one as well. Good stuff!
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What did the other cross sections of the rims look like?
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm one. I agree on the CXP's. They look more interesting. Available in 20, 24, 28 and 32 holes. 24/28 + DT Aerolites + DT 350? Excel is selling theirs for $800/900 with DT Revolution & DT 240. Not sure which has the better plus minus.
    I’m another. Love my set of Exalith Ksyrium SLRs and the rain Serotta has 32h Open Pros laced to DA hubs, fantastic wheels.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the rims. Price is reasonable from a legitimate company with an office in America. More of a evolutionary rim(s) Mavic. On one hand it would be nice to see some tubular offerings however the four rims I may purchase a year will not justify such products. Count me as one of the "five" who still uses tubulars on the road. When my pair is built I will post some pictures.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123