Thread: New Mavic Rims(?)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: New Mavic Rims(?)

Quote Originally Posted by thollandpe View Post
    GL330 = what you built your most amazing wheelset with.

GP4 = what you replaced the GL330 with, after a period between 3 days and 3 months when the GL330 would no longer fit between the brake pads, and then rode for the rest of your life. Or until you stopped buying tubulars.

GEL 280 = what your 118-lb friend rode, you know, the guy with a poster of Lucien van Impe on his wall. Always had a cold, low gear was a 42-18, descended at 18 mph in a full tuck. And even he trashed those rims.
    Like all of this. Though, I had good luck with GL330s. Maybe it was the 120mm dropouts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bicycles have gotten really stupid.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And we have flush toilets. Go figure.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Not at my cabin.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'm really digging non-flush toilets these days.

Jan Phillips Learning Center at The College School Built to Achieve Living Building Certification | Clivus Multrum News

It's amazing what a happy colony of industrious microorganisms can do to a mountain of human waste. Because polluting 1.6 to 5.0 gallons of drinking water every time you pee is a silly waste.
    Tee Aitch

Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring. -- Desmond Tutu

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mods can dispose of this piece of sh*t thread. Thanks.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like that they have 28 and 32 hole drillings.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am one for alloy wheelsets personally, mainly because I always think of the time I really might need to haul on the brakes and have them respond (though in those circumstances, who knows what the difference really is). I have heard of great advancements in braking , particularly from Mavic (remember when they had guys dragging their brakes down ventoux with weight vests on?)

I dont think the price is crazy. 450 x2 + your favorite hubs and you are probably coming in less than the grey market price of campy bora (allegedly hard to compete with), except this would be rebuildable. I am all for any major wheel company that supports custom wheel building these days.

i agree with Jorn, this isn't that outlandish. I mean come on guys, this thing is almost half the price of an ENVE 2.2 and comparable to something like NOX/ Boyd rims.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And presumably can handle a low spoke build without falling to pieces, which can be a significant weight savings vs. aluminum hand builts even with 400g rims. Even so, they are probably never going to build as light as Boras but the braking could be as good. Different things for different purposes. I donít want em cause I canít find the tubular version.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking back, I missed the CXPs and think most of the criticism is of the open pro carbon version. This low profile carbon rim seems to be a solution in search of a problem. They aren’t more aero than alloy rims, the don’t really weigh less than alloy rims (425g each vs. 430g for the alloy vs. 400g for Boyd’s low profile rim), and even with the improved brake track they won’t brake as well as the alloys. So you are basically spending money for a 10g weight loss.

Now the CXPs at a 40mm profile make a bit more sense for a custom build at a price competitive with the Boyd offerings and grey-market Boras.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm intrigued. Big fan of the Mavic Cosmic Pro SLs I have and these could be interesting for custom builds.

But apparently I'm one of 5 Mavic fans left on the planet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So you and me, Flash, who are the other 3.

These rims look to be the same as the Ksyrium and Cosmic carbon pro sl pre-builds. I have both of those wheel sets and theyíre both excellent. I love the idea of those rims laced to some excellent hubs. I may give them a close look to replace some HED Belgium rims Iíve worn out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On a different tangent, no tubular options. They still sell many pre-built tubular wheelsets, but no tubular rims at all on the Mavic website.
    Lou D'Amelio
    Bucks County PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    So you and me, Flash, who are the other 3.

These rims look to be the same as the Ksyrium and Cosmic carbon pro sl pre-builds. I have both of those wheel sets and they’re both excellent. I love the idea of those rims laced to some excellent hubs. I may give them a close look to replace some HED Belgium rims I’ve worn out.
    I'm one. I agree on the CXP's. They look more interesting. Available in 20, 24, 28 and 32 holes. 24/28 + DT Aerolites + DT 350? Excel is selling theirs for $800/900 with DT Revolution & DT 240. Not sure which has the better plus minus.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thollandpe View Post
    I'm really digging non-flush toilets these days.

Jan Phillips Learning Center at The College School Built to Achieve Living Building Certification | Clivus Multrum News

It's amazing what a happy colony of industrious microorganisms can do to a mountain of human waste. Because polluting 1.6 to 5.0 gallons of drinking water every time you pee is a silly waste.
    Have they solved the splashback issue yet? Because in the last Gold building I worked in, the urinals left as much on your pants as went down the drain.

Until they sort that out, I'm not going to make a ruckus about the pre-war plumbing in my present building. It does at least get the sewage into the sewer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ldamelio View Post
    On a different tangent, no tubular options. They still sell many pre-built tubular wheelsets, but no tubular rims at all on the Mavic website.
    I think they've replaced the old Reflex with one they're calling the Open Pro T. I assume the "T" means tubular.

Quote Originally Posted by WFSTEKL View Post
    The discussion is about value. They are a poor value. There is an option available at a fraction of the price that has better wet braking function, and is essentially the same weight. Otherwise, they are wonderful.
    I sort of agree, but I think it depends on your standard of comparison. Compared to the aluminum rims, they're more $/mile than the aluminum rims for questionable benefit. I have a set of 13 or 14 year old Open Pro Ceramics laced to Record hubs that have seen probably 30,000 miles. The aluminum OPs are impressive, even if they aren't sexy.

Modern cycling gear lasts longer than most people want to use it. @Matthew Strongin is likely one of the last eight people in North America wearing out rims on a regular basis. Most folks are never going to wear any Mavic rim out.

Even if they cost $2k laced to some chi-chi hubs, if you ride them into the wild blue yonder for a decade or more, they're still a pretty fantastic deal compared to pretty much any non-cycling recreational gear.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm one.
    Count me in. I have a few Mavic wheelsets. They all do what they're supposed to do without any fuss.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    I think they've replaced the old Reflex with one they're calling the Open Pro T. I assume the "T" means tubular.

I was aware of that one as it's been around for a year or two. It's an old school narrow rim. Looks like no R&D in the tubular arena. Understandable form a market perspective, but still disappointing to those of us who like to sniff Mastik.
    Lou D'Amelio
    Bucks County PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ldamelio View Post
    I was aware of that one as it's been around for a year or two. It's an old school narrow rim. Looks like no R&D in the tubular arena. Understandable form a market perspective, but still disappointing to those of us who like to sniff Mastik.
    Why would you need a wider rim? Are you using >32mm tubulars?
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As if the name still carried a lot of prestige. Am i wrong?
    I came here for the socks.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast