User Tag List

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678
Results 141 to 152 of 152

Thread: New Campagnolo EKAR groupset unveiled today

  1. #141
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    8,485
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: New Campagnolo EKAR groupset unveiled today

    This is the reason I have chosen to go back to 2x11 with a 46x30 GRX chainset.. That way I can hopefully swap from the gravel wheels with an 11-34 cassette to the tubular disc road wheels with an 11-28 cassette without having to dial anything on the derailleur side except maybe a small b-screw adjustment. On my current sram 1x11 gravel bike I would have to swap chainrings, and thus the chain as well to make it work with different terrain types. Sadly the frame I initially chose 2 years ago do not support a front derailleur otherwise I would have just swapped with my road bike groupset to do the test.
    Last edited by sk_tle; 5 Days Ago at 08:43 AM. Reason: grammar
    --
    T h o m a s

  2. #142
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    rio de janeiro
    Posts
    3,637
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: New Campagnolo EKAR groupset unveiled today

    Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    I’d guess not. The new version is slightly shorter I thing and has a spacer of some sort. Looks a bit odd but Campagnolo seem do have done their homework because a bunch of manufacturers are on board, including DT-Swiss and this is important because DT-Swiss make hubs and hub internals for many brands, including Bontrager (Trek) and Roval (Specialized). As much as we don’t need yet another standard in the cycling world, it appears they haven’t created an immediately outdated and orphaned product.

    The next step will be to see if anyone actually buys Ekar.
    Well... problem w/ campagnolo is their distribution. If i am building an all road or gravel bike i have to plans to take it to places. Itīs a bike that will travel and tour. If it stays at home where after every ride i can shop on line for brake and drivetrain parts then campagnolo is what i want but i ride in places where itīs shimano only and i will get what i need from an LBS. This bike would be a shimano 105/deore/ whatever is compatible build.
    Thier achilles heel is distribution.. design is excellent as usual.
    slow.

  3. #143
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    8,485
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: New Campagnolo EKAR groupset unveiled today

    Quote Originally Posted by colker View Post
    Well... problem w/ campagnolo is their distribution. If i am building an all road or gravel bike i have to plans to take it to places. Itīs a bike that will travel and tour. If it stays at home where after every ride i can shop on line for brake and drivetrain parts then campagnolo is what i want but i ride in places where itīs shimano only and i will get what i need from an LBS. This bike would be a shimano 105/deore/ whatever is compatible build.
    Thier achilles heel is distribution.. design is excellent as usual.
    Well I agree with that if you are doing unsupported multidays tour in the middle of nowhere in Bolivia with your sleeping bags (and there are chances even your high end shimano/sram parts won't be available either) but this is not how most gravel bikes are really used.

    If you are just traveling and enjoying your bike in your holiday vacation and you break something on your bike chance is that the local LBS won't fix your bike on the go but tell you to collect it back fixed the next day or even after that. What do you do in that case ? You rent a bike locally. So it is only an issue for very very short or very very tall people who can't comfortably ride a bike in the s/xl range.

    Now count the time your bike actually left you stranded in your life with an unfixable transmission problem and consider that the chance it can happen is close to have a broken frame for example. In all those cases you just shrug your shoulder, swear for a bit then realize it could be worse as you aren't injured. Then you enjoy your vacation differently, either by hiking, renting another bike or have sex with your partner all day long at the hotel.

    That whole campagnolo is not well distributed point is totally moot nowadays that a parcel is just 1 to 5 days away from you in almost every part of the world...
    Last edited by sk_tle; 2 Days Ago at 06:50 AM.
    --
    T h o m a s

  4. #144
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    rio de janeiro
    Posts
    3,637
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: New Campagnolo EKAR groupset unveiled today

    Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    Well I agree with that if you are doing unsupported multidays tour in the middle of nowhere in Bolivia with your sleeping bags (and there are chances even your high end shimano/sram parts won't be available either) but this is not how most gravel bikes are really used.

    If you are just traveling and enjoying your bike in your holiday vacation and you break something on your bike chance is that the local LBS won't fix your bike on the go but tell you to collect it back fixed the next day or even after that. What do you do in that case ? You rent a bike locally. So it is only an issue for very very short or very very tall people who can't comfortably ride a bike in the s/xl range.

    Now count the time your bike actually left you stranded in your life with an unfixable transmission problem and consider that the chance it can happen is close to have a broken frame for example. In all those cases you just shrug your shoulder, swear for a bit then realize it could be worse as you aren't injured. Then you enjoy your vacation differently, either by hiking, renting another bike or have sex with your partner all day long at the hotel.

    That whole campagnolo is not well distributed point is totally moot nowadays that a parcel is just 1 to 5 days away from you in almost every part of the world...
    Yes, you can easily find shimano in Bolivia but i tried finding campagnolo in Mexico w/ no success. I am not sure you could even find Campagnolo in Colombia, a hot spot for cycling w/ a history of world champions.
    I have not been stranded for parts anywhere yet because i always had a shimano bike w/ me when travelling but if it was campagnolo it would be a ridiculous fvck up. The comment of rental bikes makes sense in switzerland, maybe ... are you serious?

    I donīt think distribution is a moot point. Campagnolo became a fringe company which matters little due to many reasons and one of them being itīs bad distribution which is a shame because itīs my favourite for itīs design and execution.
    Whatīs the point in a drivetrain when replacing gears will always depend on international shipping? Campagnolo wants their own mechanical standards but their replacement parts are not easily available. There is a point when you decide for simple and forget complicated.
    slow.

  5. #145
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    8,485
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: New Campagnolo EKAR groupset unveiled today

    I don't leave anymore in Switzerland.

    And I have rented - mostly crappy 26" steel mtb with v-brake and 3x7 transmission - in several parts of the world and still enjoyed the ride even if the bike didn't fit me perfectly, had a really bad saddle and a few slipping cogs. We obsess about equipment but it is mostly all about the ride, not the bike or the speed. Especially if you are on holiday.

    Whats wrong with "international shipping" ? Unless your shimano parts are built in México (hint: they aren't) that is what your local distributor is doing anyway. There is nothing wrong skipping that part.
    Last edited by sk_tle; 2 Days Ago at 07:47 AM.
    --
    T h o m a s

  6. #146
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    68
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: New Campagnolo EKAR groupset unveiled today

    Quote Originally Posted by colker View Post
    Yes, you can easily find shimano in Bolivia but i tried finding campagnolo in Mexico w/ no success. I am not sure you could even find Campagnolo in Colombia, a hot spot for cycling w/ a history of world champions.
    I have not been stranded for parts anywhere yet because i always had a shimano bike w/ me when travelling but if it was campagnolo it would be a ridiculous fvck up. The comment of rental bikes makes sense in switzerland, maybe ... are you serious?

    I donīt think distribution is a moot point. Campagnolo became a fringe company which matters little due to many reasons and one of them being itīs bad distribution which is a shame because itīs my favourite for itīs design and execution.
    Whatīs the point in a drivetrain when replacing gears will always depend on international shipping? Campagnolo wants their own mechanical standards but their replacement parts are not easily available. There is a point when you decide for simple and forget complicated.
    Pack an extra RD, chain, brake pads and Cable then. Which you should do as the odds of destroying an RD if you go extreme are high. The odds of needing new calipers, cassette or Shifters are very low.

    If you are travelling that much then the cost of those parts (in reality the only thing that would be considered abnormal might be the RD - the rest you should carry with any system if you are going remote), will be a fraction of your overall travel costs and give you piece of mind.
    Dane Morrison
    Bike Enthusiast
    Total Number of Frames built by my Hand = 1 on the Dave Yates Course

  7. #147
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    8,485
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: New Campagnolo EKAR groupset unveiled today

    By the way this:

    Quote Originally Posted by colker View Post
    Campagnolo wants their own mechanical standards but their replacement parts are not easily available.
    is a way of rewriting history. In the last 30 years this is shimano who kept being incompatible with other brand on purpose.

    When Campagnolo introduced 8speed, there was no shimano compatible 8s freehub. They had to design their own freehub. What did shimano when they went to 8s after campy, they went their own way with their own freehub, their own cog spacing. When campagnolo switch to 9s it created a hub that would solve the issue with alu freehubs as well as having a standard that wouldn't change until they introduced 12s. What did shimano do each time they increased the number of cogs, continue their own way, with their own cog spacing and incompatible freehub ? It was only they went to 11s that shimano started to be compatible but it was more a coincidence because the freehub width was more or less the same and thus the difference in spacing couldn't be much different. When Sram introduced 11s wide range cassette on MTB they figured out they needed a 10t cog and thus a different type of freehub in order to limit the weight of the whole system. You can dislike the standard change but it was at least driven by a technical goal. When Sram introduced 12s, they used the very same XD driver to keep compatibility. After a failed attempt to have a similar range with 11s cassette Shimano realized they had to build a new 12s system allowing a starting 10t cog to remain competitive. Did they embraced the Sram XD driver ? Nope, they designed their own microspline body.

    So if there is a company that keeps choosing incompatible mechanical standards, the answer is clear and straight : Shimano.

    In the e-shifting world the 3 big brands are equally bad in term of compatibility and lack of respect to their customers and to the bike shops as none of them introduced an open source solution.
    --
    T h o m a s

  8. #148
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    W Mass
    Posts
    11,651
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default Re: New Campagnolo EKAR groupset unveiled today

    Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    Then you enjoy your vacation differently . . . have sex with your partner all day long at the hotel.
    If that was really an option, why the hell were you on your bike in the first place?
    Trod Harland, Physical Educator

    Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin

  9. #149
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    8,485
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: New Campagnolo EKAR groupset unveiled today

    Quote Originally Posted by morrisond View Post
    Pack an extra RD, chain, brake pads and Cable then.
    It is not like an LBS full of shimano components would appear in the middle of a desert/mountain anyway when you are doing adventure. The odds of having that kind of problem AND needing the new parts right when you reached a city sounds a bit low regardless of your brand of choice.
    --
    T h o m a s

  10. #150
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    8,485
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: New Campagnolo EKAR groupset unveiled today

    Quote Originally Posted by thollandpe View Post
    If that was really an option, why the hell were you on your bike in the first place?
    Have you never heard about recovery rides ?

    You clearly have never been with someone nymphomanic. Sometimes it starts hurting and as proud as you are you want some rest.
    --
    T h o m a s

  11. #151
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    17,701
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: New Campagnolo EKAR groupset unveiled today

    Funny I was just going downhill on the bike I have with 1x gearing and thinking a 9-36 would actually work out nicely. That bike has a 38T and 11-32. Would give me a total bail out gear and something for irrational exuberance downhill.

  12. #152
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Philadelphia/ Hudson Valley NY
    Posts
    814
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: New Campagnolo EKAR groupset unveiled today

    Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Funny I was just going downhill on the bike I have with 1x gearing and thinking a 9-36 would actually work out nicely. That bike has a 38T and 11-32. Would give me a total bail out gear and something for irrational exuberance downhill.
    I gotta say, upwards of 15% for any stretch, I feel like you want 1:1 ratio. I have climbed miserable stuff on 39/25 (devil's kitchen) and even 39/28 up awosting reserve climb by new paltz (felt like bernard hinault).
    I like the idea of simplicity of 1x, but i dunno, my MTB triple even shifts reliably. Will probably compromise and go down to 2x on that eventually.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Similar Threads

  1. Campagnolo 80th anniversary groupset
    By Jaegher in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 92
    Last Post: 02-26-2013, 03:36 PM
  2. new uci mascot unveiled
    By Mike Mcdermid in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 10-31-2012, 06:51 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-27-2010, 05:42 PM

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •