Thread: Nationals video

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Nationals video

Quote Originally Posted by rabo View Post
    With all the respect for Hecht and the others , fair to say the level of performance on an international scale has regressed from the days of Wells,Page, Trebon,Powers ?
    Gage can still get there. He's 21 and will get faster/stronger.

You also have to take into account that the Euro scene has some guys with huge motors at the top of it right now. Sven and Niels were strong racers but they weren't world tour talents. Wout and MVdP are two of the very best cyclists on the planet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I realize I'm late to the party on this...but the incident w/ Hecht was clearly the result of him pushing the limit of speed/control on that descent. It wasn't done with nefarious intent (neither personal gain outside of the rules, or to sabotage another rider). This is a textbook example of a basic rule of cross racing--the person in front is in the driver's seat. Those behind ride in their wake, for better or worse.

It's unfortunate that it appeared to affect the outcome of Werner's race so much. However, there would be no fair penalty to assess on Hecht, and doing so would not provide any corresponding offset to Werner. Hecht didn't leave/re-enter the course for gain...getting caught in the tape slowed him down.

If anything is to be learned from this, I think it is that on portions of the course like this a simple plastic stake/double row of tape does not cut it. There was mesh along the upper part of that drop, but they didn't extend it to the base of the descent. Mesh or inflatable bumpers like in Euro courses might've changed the outcome of this incident.

Also, I like TJ as an announcer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fair is subjective ... somehow giving Werner his race back is not possible ... I still think there is a basic safety rule to be spelled out. To wit, unless you are out of control (and I submit Hecht was in control when he rode back into the course) you are subject to penalty if you re-enter in an unsafe way, which clearly happened here. To bring it back to “fair” it is not fair to those following to have to deal with a moving section of course boundary.

A DQ is extreme but an IMSA-style XX second hold in the pit? Maybe it’s also extreme, and maybe it helps people avoid the avoidable in the future. I’m just glad nobody following had a bad run-in with that snapped plastic pole.

And agreed! TJ is a great addition to the announcer’s booth.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123