Likes Likes:  0

Thread: NAHBS awards public thread

Post Thanks / Like

Default NAHBS awards public thread

So with all the debate between the builders about the pros/cons of the NAHBS awards what do you Joe average consumer think of them? I know that awards don't always go out to the best bike per say, but sometimes to the hip "in" bike.

Personally I like them. I don't know why. Maybe because I'm fat and dumb. I like bikes that are different than what everyone else is riding. I guess it's my own need for individualism. That's my vote I like them because they get put in magazines and it's good for the industry.

I would like to propose a couple new awards

BEST PORTLAND BIKE - you could only vote for this category if you have full tattoo sleeves, reek of coffee and cigarettes and are wearing some type of retro cycling cap.

BEST BIKE BY A CURMUDGEONLY BUILDER - minimum 30 yrs. building experience, no website, and generally nothing good to say about anything.

BEST SHINED TURD AWARD - bike that looks good from 5-6 ft, but has crooked wheels, shitty finish, or a potentially dangerous design element.

Post Thanks / Like

I think this topic should be left alone with a month to go before the show. The organizer/s have enough to do and this I am sure doesn't help.
    Perhaps it is a topic to be discussed in the months following the show.
    Respectfully,
    noah
    Of course if there is an award for best 1950's Cinelli restoration I am gunning for it.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm telling DW good job, I dig the awards let the haters whine all they want. The new awards suggestions are totally tongue-in-cheek.

Post Thanks / Like

Well said Noah. As far as I can tell DW puts a lot of effort forth in throwing this party every year. Some of his stress/frustration is getting out into his posts. Let him run the show as he sees fit. It amazes me that there are so many opinions out there about how everyone else wants him to do this thing. Bring up awards after this year's show is done.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rphetteplace View Post
    I'm telling DW good job, I dig the awards let the haters whine all they want. The new awards suggestions are totally tongue-in-cheek.
    +1

I think once in a great while people could lighten up ever so slightly re NAHBS. It's a funny post and NAHBS rocks.
    "In the old days when people invented a new function they had something useful in mind."

~Henri Poincare

Post Thanks / Like

"haters" = lifeblood. wtf.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by justinf View Post
    really everyone should give DW major props for this huge undertaking. DW yes you do come off as a little thin skinned, but I'm sure it's tons of stress, and tons of behind the scenes whining.

It's like anything else in the world, if you don't like it ignore it. Don't like Obama, don't vote for him. Don't like the awards? Don't enter a bike or show up and watch them. Free country guys.

Post Thanks / Like

I attended the show in San Jose, and I do not remember who won any of the awards ...

What I do remember is meeting DW, E-Richie, Dario, Dave Kirk, Carl S., Crumpton, etc. and feeling lucky to be there. I am agnostic as to the awards, but am a supporter of the show.

Post Thanks / Like

why don't we just leave this to the builders and organizers to sort out and welcome the fact that we get to be party to the creative process.

i'd ask that we drop it on this side of the fence unless Don asks us what we think.
    shrink, terrorist, poet, president of concerned cyclists for the abolishment of bovine source bicycle parts and head of the disaffected commie dishwashers union.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swoop View Post
    why don't we just leave this to the builders and organizers to sort out and welcome the fact that we get to be party to the creative process.

i'd ask that we drop it on this side of the fence unless Don asks us what we think.

Dude lock it.

Us non builders have nothing to add that would be beneficial to all who work to put this together.

I say we go enjoy the show and meet good people.
    Dave Bradley...not the grumpy old Hogwarts caretaker "Mr. Filch" or the star of American Ninja 3 and 4.

formerly "Mr.President"

Post Thanks / Like

Default This can get circular

Quote Originally Posted by justinf View Post
    Clearly, there are marquee builders who will be at NAHBS that do not LIKE the awards, yet their very presence draws people to show to begin with.

I say let it go this time around, and focus efforts to remove awards prior to 2010 show. Of course, if said effort failed this year, then that would be a different story. Custom bikes are like anything else out there in the consumer world. If there are people out there who buy something b/c a bike it looks cools and wins an award, so be it. That's not me, but that is others.

In the end, NAHBS goes to getting more people on bikes, and/or supporting people who build bikes, which is, a better thing for all of us.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Don ....

"Perfection is the enemy of done"

A "perfect NAHBS" will always be next year and there will never a
    NAHBS at all. :omg:

I am really looking forward to the event ...

Ray

Post Thanks / Like

The question was do we as attendee like the awards?

I think only 1 person answered this.

Time to lock it, b4 it gets ugly.

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like

the awards are about attention.
    folks who crave it, enter the fray and hope to get some.
    the show wasn't conceived for this.
    it was and is a vehicle for the niche.
    shining a light on the individual is a distraction atmo.

this is my POV from day one, and it remains so.

i am one of the show's and DW's advocates and have
    no second thoughts about having a dissenting opinion
    once in a while atmo.