Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Nahbs 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Nahbs 2019

I searched and couldn't find any chit chat about NAHBS this year. It will be my first year attending, just booked my air bnb. who else is in? and are there any V salon shenanigans?
    love to meet some builders and salonistas while there, maybe even ride if i can.

and i have a green light to bring home a bike... so build a 55
    Matt Zilliox

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Nahbs 2019

I'll have at least 2 55ish's there. Bring cash.
    Nick Crumpton
    crumptoncycles.com
    Instagram
    "Tradition is a guide, not a jailer" óJustin Robinson

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That was easy! Now you can use the rest of your time there to go riding!
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ill have a bag of unmarked non sequential bills... looking forward to the show! glad you decided to go Nick! Im not sure about buying a bike really, but its possible!
    Matt Zilliox

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So one builder is going, who else is in on this event?
    Matt Zilliox

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by crumpton View Post
    lots of cash

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mzilliox View Post
    So one builder is going, who else is in on this event?
    Paul Sadoff will be there for his 40th anniversary.

I bet Steve Rex will.

I think Don Walker cycles too.

And Wolfhound from what he told me.

- Garro.
    Last edited by steve garro; 02-11-2019 at 01:26 PM.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Steve. I think the site mentions Rock Lobster, but not sure about the rest you mention. Since ive not been to an event like this before, im getting pretty excited to see what folks have to show and to meet some of the characters in the business.
    Matt Zilliox

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been to several of these events and always had a good time. Never been disappointed. But over the past couple years I've slowed down on the shows for a couple reasons, less interest in the custom bike world and significant career and life changes over the same time as well.

That said, I may try to start going again in the future because they've always been a blast.

Assuming this is a Friday-Sunday show I strongly recommend going when the doors open Friday. The weekend days are busier and Sunday is fun too but the builders and everyone are getting ready to pack up and go home.

Friday is the best day IMHO.

Go early, wander around, grab some food and beers and meet friends. I've enjoyed all the shows I've been to and this includes the Philly Bike Expo as well. You'll have fun, that's for certain.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Saturday was a good day in Hartford because that was the day they gave out the prizes. So all the builders were there.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where is it?
    "As an homage to the EPOdays of yore- I'd find the world's last remaining pair of 40cm ergonomic drop bars.....i think everyone who ever liked those handlebars in that shape and in that width is either dead of a drug overdose, works in the Schaerbeek mattress factory now and weighs 300 pounds or is Dr. Davey Bruylandts...who for all I know is doing both of those things." - Jerk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nahtnoj View Post
    Where is it?
    Mertztown, PA I think.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its in sacramento this year...
    NAHBS
    Matt Zilliox

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ides1056 View Post
    lots of cash
    An appropriate amount of cash for the level of skill and time involved in creating the goods on offer...

Which is lots.
    Kirk MRB | Rock Lobster Gravel | Allied Alfa

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    Mertztown, PA I think.
    Training camp in spring 2021. I should have most of the trails built by then, and the roads have been here all along.
    "As an homage to the EPOdays of yore- I'd find the world's last remaining pair of 40cm ergonomic drop bars.....i think everyone who ever liked those handlebars in that shape and in that width is either dead of a drug overdose, works in the Schaerbeek mattress factory now and weighs 300 pounds or is Dr. Davey Bruylandts...who for all I know is doing both of those things." - Jerk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rocky Lobster has a hot tandem he is bringing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nahtnoj View Post
    Training camp in spring 2021. I should have most of the trails built by then, and the roads have been here all along.
    I could definitely be up for a Pennsylvania road training camp.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

with apologies in advance to anyone who has a different viewpoint, nothing personal, and not to de-value anyone's time or efforts...

i've only been to one NAHBS, and i didnt think it was that great. it was close enough that i felt i had to go in the NYC outer metro area, but it's something i would definitely never fly to attend, unless it was in conjunction with something else.

to me, it's just too big, non intimate of a show. many of the builders i know and respect do not attend. it's likely a crushing expense for a small east coast or middle country tradesman to fly a bunch of stuff out to california, fly himself out there and have the burden of the expenses associated with self funded travel.

the awards seem relatively arbitrary and un-necessary. best lug'd road bike? best campagnolo bike? maybe it's nice to pick one and recognize someone, but there is so much talent assembled there, to pick a single bike for a category is not doing justice to the level of craftsmanship assembled there.

it's also crowded, so the best scenario is you get a few minutes of a builders time to chat. much more than that, you are taking their time away from other potential customers who might feel slighted if they dont get their few minutes, etc.

to me, a much much better venue is something like D2R2, where people with every frame builders creation in the world show up. check out the bikes at breakfast and then ride with them all day. see peter weigle on his steed, justin on his seven, happycampyer on his firefly and me on my geekhouse.

smaller events like the philly bike expo, the boston builders ball and countless other gatherings seem better in every way, NAHBS just seems too big and "corporate" to me.

that said, it's still fun to go and talk, meet old and new friends and check out some awesome handmade stuff up front and personal. i just wanted to present the opposing viewpoint...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mzilliox View Post
    ... i have a green light to bring home a bike... so build a 55
    Quote Originally Posted by crumpton View Post
    Well, that worked out surprisingly well, grail bike, right size, bag o' cash.

Anyone showing anything in a 62'ish ?????

A local NAHBS is always an opportunity to get away for my wife and I. Oddly we buy more for her at these gigs than for me?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
    with apologies in advance to anyone who has a different viewpoint, nothing personal, and not to de-value anyone's time or efforts...

i've only been to one NAHBS, and i didnt think it was that great. it was close enough that i felt i had to go in the NYC outer metro area, but it's something i would definitely never fly to attend, unless it was in conjunction with something else.

to me, it's just too big, non intimate of a show. many of the builders i know and respect do not attend. it's likely a crushing expense for a small east coast or middle country tradesman to fly a bunch of stuff out to california, fly himself out there and have the burden of the expenses associated with self funded travel.

the awards seem relatively arbitrary and un-necessary. best lug'd road bike? best campagnolo bike? maybe it's nice to pick one and recognize someone, but there is so much talent assembled there, to pick a single bike for a category is not doing justice to the level of craftsmanship assembled there.

it's also crowded, so the best scenario is you get a few minutes of a builders time to chat. much more than that, you are taking their time away from other potential customers who might feel slighted if they dont get their few minutes, etc.

to me, a much much better venue is something like D2R2, where people with every frame builders creation in the world show up. check out the bikes at breakfast and then ride with them all day. see peter weigle on his steed, justin on his seven, happycampyer on his firefly and me on my geekhouse.

smaller events like the philly bike expo, the boston builders ball and countless other gatherings seem better in every way, NAHBS just seems too big and "corporate" to me.

that said, it's still fun to go and talk, meet old and new friends and check out some awesome handmade stuff up front and personal. i just wanted to present the opposing viewpoint...
    Angry's views are well considered - the underlying question is what do you want to get out of the show?

Are you ready to have something made and shopping for a builder?
    Are you just there to enjoy the aura of many things bicycle?

If you are shopping for a builder NAHBS will give you a chance to see their work meet. It is not the time to discuss minutiae.

It is a lot of fun. I missed #2 but went to SJ #3 and the last two Sacramento. I'll drive up again in march because why not ...

That said, unless I was in the market I would NOT fly and incur the expense of air/hotel/rental/food and time away. But if it is near by, I don't know why you wouldn't go....

Now, as for Sea Otter....every year - that's a blast to see the Pro's race and all the new stuff...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast