User Tag List

Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Mystery Bay Area framebuilder—“CH”

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    5
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Mystery Bay Area framebuilder—“CH”

    A friend of mine here in the Bay Area has an aluminum frame made of Easton Ultralite tubing, the frame has no identifying features other than the Easton ultralite sticker and a head tube badge that says “CH” and below that “Scotts Valley, California.” The frame has a 1-1/8 head tube so it can’t be THAT old, but I cannot find anything online identifying this “CH” framebuilder and the mystery is slowly eating me alive. Any ideas???

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Mystery Bay Area framebuilder—“CH”

    Quote Originally Posted by skagitteam View Post
    A friend of mine here in the Bay Area has an aluminum frame made of Easton Ultralite tubing, the frame has no identifying features other than the Easton ultralite sticker and a head tube badge that says “CH” and below that “Scotts Valley, California.” The frame has a 1-1/8 head tube so it can’t be THAT old, but I cannot find anything online identifying this “CH” framebuilder and the mystery is slowly eating me alive. Any ideas???
    it may just be a bike shop badge applied to an asian generic frame for wholesale and not a framebuikder per se.
    Last edited by sk_tle; 09-17-2020 at 05:12 AM.
    --
    T h o m a s

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    mission scum
    Posts
    1,281
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Mystery Bay Area framebuilder—“CH”

    I seem to recall that Paul took some shop help/apprentices years ago. My money with that location, material, and tubeset is that it’s done by someone who swept floors, got some learning, and knocked out a few frames. However, I have no further knowledge beyond that it’s something that is possible and fits.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    5
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Mystery Bay Area framebuilder—“CH”

    Quote Originally Posted by spopepro View Post
    I seem to recall that Paul took some shop help/apprentices years ago. My money with that location, material, and tubeset is that it’s done by someone who swept floors, got some learning, and knocked out a few frames. However, I have no further knowledge beyond that it’s something that is possible and fits.
    Interesting. Seems possible. Thanks for the reply.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    5
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Mystery Bay Area framebuilder—“CH”

    Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    it may just be a bike shop badge applied to an asian generic frame for wholesale and not a framebuikder per se.
    Thanks for the reply. Not impossible but it doesn’t seem terribly likely that such a frame would have been built with Easton ultralite.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    2,148
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Mystery Bay Area framebuilder—“CH”

    I think Chris Huber, former racer, was building aluminum frames a few years ago - and that's all I gots.
    Steve Hampsten
    www.hampsten.blogspot.com
    "Tighten the wingnuts!"

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    187
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Mystery Bay Area framebuilder—“CH”

    Easton tubing,"CH", possibly Chris Herting of 3D Racing? I think I've seen references to him starting out somewhere in CA.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Fairfax, California
    Posts
    2,710
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Mystery Bay Area framebuilder—“CH”

    This- Ex-racer Chris Huber was making aluminum frames for a bit. I knew a guy who had a time trial bike that Chris made.

    Quote Originally Posted by hampco View Post
    I think Chris Huber, former racer, was building aluminum frames a few years ago - and that's all I gots.

Similar Threads

  1. Mystery Noises Thread
    By TheNerdyCyclist in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 04-04-2017, 12:21 AM
  2. Mystery Colnago
    By simnewt in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-14-2014, 10:56 AM
  3. KCE Mystery Mail?
    By deepsix in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-24-2013, 07:05 PM
  4. Mystery tool
    By Ped in forum The Path
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 07-29-2013, 01:02 PM
  5. Mystery White Powder
    By Clockwork in forum The Path
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-06-2011, 03:04 PM

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •