Thread: Movable Platform for your Trainer

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Movable Platform for your Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    I think this is what was tested by DC Rainmaker. Any negatives you’ve noticed?
    Nothing's going to change the fact that you are still in a room with walls but this alleviates some of the mental and physical fatigue that comes from being locked in place on the saddle IMO. I think DC Rainmaker may have mentioned that it might be easy to pitch over with the prototype he reviewed. It seems to me that's been fixed. There is a good thread on the Trainer Road forum on homemade rocker plates if you are interested in going that route.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's a facebook group dedicated to diy ones. I've ordered the rod and pillow blocks to build one, should cost less than $125 and provide the same motion as the $500 ones more or less.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At that level of obsessive indoor riding, just use a cycling inclinable treadmill.

--
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do people actually use indoor trainers? I drink beer when I can't go outside.
    Bill Fernance
    Bicycle Shop Owner
    Part Time Framebuilder
    Bicycle Tragic

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    At that level of obsessive indoor riding, just use a cycling inclinable treadmill.

I don't see that one on Tacx's website any longer. Gone?

What am I going to do with the jar of quarters I started saving up for one? It's nearly 1/2 full!
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by progetto View Post
    Do people actually use indoor trainers? I drink beer when I can't go outside.
    I’ve tried that training method for the past decade or so. I’ve determined that its effectiveness at helping me be a better rider is minimal, at best.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    I don't see that one on Tacx's website any longer. Gone?
    I guess it wasn't that popular because it features real climb. Why would you hook that device to zwift if you cannot cheat ?
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, after trying one some thoughts. It appears to be very well made, most parts are metal the bearings/wheels bolt in and could be replaced with common tools. It moves very easily unlike most trainer boards. Is it as easy as being out on the road, very close to. Watching people get on it was interesting to see how people perceived they were going to fall over because it allows the bicycle to move so freely. Nobody fell. This could also come from the expectation of the trainer to be very rigid? To the ride, much like rollers if your seated pedaling is not smooth the platform will move. Standing up, out of the saddle amplified choppy pedaling. I wanted to dislike Saris. Due to cost, size, and acceptance of riding a trainer often. I returned two more times to ride and watch others. They do not recoment using a Wahoo Climbr.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a rocker plate is on my short list of projects. I want fore/aft movement because the main driver for this project is tailbone pain. Commercial rockers with no fore-aft movement are around $500. I intend to use recycled plywood and linear bearings from my junk pile, but Amazon is a bonanza for parts like this now

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The best indoor trainer I've ever ridden was in Cleveland, Ohio.

Cleveland rocks.

Homepage - Ray'sMTB
    Trod Harland, Physical Educator

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thollandpe View Post
    The best indoor trainer I've ever ridden was in Cleveland, Ohio.

Cleveland rocks.

Homepage - Ray'sMTB
    Ray's is a good time. Unfortunately getting a cardio workout there means endless laps of the XC loop which is only marginally more exciting than riding the trainer.

For skills work it can't be beat. You can also get a tremendous full body workout on the pump track.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Re: Movable Platform for your Trainer

Lots of really terrific and helpful ideas for further isolating trainer sound on this thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, I've completed mine and done a couple rides. Its simple, a sheet of mdf, 4 pillow blocks from Amazon, a 1in alu rod as the pivot axle, and a couple 5 inch inflatable balls from Amazon. I have right around $100 in materials and maybe an hour and a half in labor.
    My impressions - first, it takes some playing around to get the spring rate right using the balls, and the needle is a pain-I did cut some 2in holes in the deck, and i need to orient the balls so that the "valve" faces the hole. Second, it really takes the sting out of the trainer in ways I didn't expect. I knew I would get some saddle relief, but I was surprised at how much the movement was easier on my shoulders, which really suffer on a fixed trainer after an hour or so. Also, seated power intervals felt more in line with the watts generated, reducing some of the trainer effect.
    I don't know that I'd spend a pile of money for one of these. However, if you have basic tool skills and a couple hours, its well worth the materials costs. If anyone is interested, I'll post links to the parts on amazon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glepore View Post
    So, I've completed mine and done a couple rides. Its simple, a sheet of mdf, 4 pillow blocks from Amazon, a 1in alu rod as the pivot axle, and a couple 5 inch inflatable balls from Amazon. I have right around $100 in materials and maybe an hour and a half in labor.
    My impressions - first, it takes some playing around to get the spring rate right using the balls, and the needle is a pain-I did cut some 2in holes in the deck, and i need to orient the balls so that the "valve" faces the hole. Second, it really takes the sting out of the trainer in ways I didn't expect. I knew I would get some saddle relief, but I was surprised at how much the movement was easier on my shoulders, which really suffer on a fixed trainer after an hour or so. Also, seated power intervals felt more in line with the watts generated, reducing some of the trainer effect.
    I don't know that I'd spend a pile of money for one of these. However, if you have basic tool skills and a couple hours, its well worth the materials costs. If anyone is interested, I'll post links to the parts on amazon.
    Love to see a photo of your setup.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMG_0422.jpg

I didn't do photos during the build. The slightly odd shape allowed the most area from a full sheet, although some folks do it as two pieces.

pillow blocks-https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QZMCNT9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

rod-https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HWFVAPK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

balls-https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G5LRN8O/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've used both 2 and 4 balls, pretty much the same.

The pillow blocks are bolted base-platform-base-platform -3/8x2 bolts, fender washers and nylocks. 4 scraps of mdf for feet to give bolthead clearance. The rod is a VERY tight fit in the bearings, I heated the blocks in a 180 oven for an hour and had the rod outside in the cold. Back the setscrews fully out. Still need to start it with a deadblow hammer and finish seating it with a socket driving against the inner race-once its fully on, they move easily enough with some taps.

The weight is to offset the flywheel weight. Probably unnecessary but it was lying around. i don't have anything retaining the trainer, but I'm no gorilla-it doesn't move while standing.

Lots of good ideas on the "rocker plates" facebook page-one posted today with linear motion bearings to allow both fore aft and rock, with two8 in gate springs tensioned fore and aft. Looked impressive. More $'s and I don't have a ton of room for fore aft movement.

I did put some folding handles-think drawer pulls- on the left edge to make it easier to move, that 3/4 mdf is heavy stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have Saris Mp1 rocker. Some observations:
    -Lost watts, must be flailing around a lot, the trainer on the floor just did not let that happen.
    -Quickly made me aware that out of the saddle my hips were too far forward. When they are I get a lot of movement.
    -Does add a little more noise. Maybe that is why I'm in the basement while everyone sleeps on the second floor?
    -Much more aware of letting my cadence get low as things move around.
    -Rewards a high for me cadence of 85-90, with much less movement.
    -Less saddle discomfort!
    -Super easy to fall off as everything is 4" higher.
    -My Saris H3 trainer does not move in any way.
    -My front tire has gone flat, just tightened down the straps. One fewer thing to take care of.
    -Ugh! it is heavy. Seventy some pounds.
    -If it is not level one notices it a lot!
    -looks to be well made.
    Not inexpensive, working great.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trainer road forum has a long thread on DIY rocker plates. I built mine for 26 dollars. I can't image riding a rigid trainer anymore. Best improvement you can do for indoor training next to a powerful fan.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by purplecu22 View Post
    next to a powerful fan.
    Normally that is the point where you realize that you should really ride outdoor instead.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    Normally that is the point where you realize that you should really ride outdoor instead.
    We've been through this before. Riding outdoors is simply not possible for many people for several months of the year. Ever been to Chicago in winter? It's a mediocre place to ride at the best of times. Add snow, -15˚C temperatures and icy roads and it's not happening. I'm not sure why people don't get this. We are grateful for improved options for indoor training.

Quote Originally Posted by DBordewisch View Post
    I have Saris Mp1 rocker. Some observations:
    -Lost watts, must be flailing around a lot, the trainer on the floor just did not let that happen.
    -Quickly made me aware that out of the saddle my hips were too far forward. When they are I get a lot of movement.
    -Does add a little more noise. Maybe that is why I'm in the basement while everyone sleeps on the second floor?
    -Much more aware of letting my cadence get low as things move around.
    -Rewards a high for me cadence of 85-90, with much less movement.
    -Less saddle discomfort!
    -Super easy to fall off as everything is 4" higher.
    -My Saris H3 trainer does not move in any way.
    -My front tire has gone flat, just tightened down the straps. One fewer thing to take care of.
    -Ugh! it is heavy. Seventy some pounds.
    -If it is not level one notices it a lot!
    -looks to be well made.
    Not inexpensive, working great.
    I too have the Saris MP-1. Your comments interest me. I'm not sure I can give a strong endorsement to the product but it seems to have merit. Regarding your comments.

- I haven't noticed any loss of power but it's possible that it's there. I do know that I'm generally riding stronger on Zwift but I also know I'm in better shape than this time last year.

- Out of the saddle is not at all like out of the saddle on the road. This is not a road simulator. But I knew that from YouTube reviews so that didn't catch me off guard.

- I haven't noticed extra noise but mine is on a carpeted floor with a non-quiet fan and loud podcasts blaring. So it's very likely you're right, especially if it's on a hard surface.

- I haven't noticed anything different about my cadence except that my Wahoo cadence counter is spotty but that's unrelated to the platform. It's annoying on Zwift though.

- Less saddle discomfort is true though I still need to get out of the saddle every 15 minutes for a minute or so to relieve pressure.

- I haven't fallen off but getting on initially is odd because of the 4" you mention. This does amplify the motions but I've gotten used to it.

- It is heavy. And bulky. And difficult to move so once you've got it where you want it you probably don't want to move it around much. I've got the luxury of not needing to move it.

- It's very sensitive to your own body's imbalance. In other words, it will seem to lean to one side if you're not perfectly set on the bike. I played with the left/right adjustment of rear of the bike to account for this, moving it right of center by a few millimeters. This seemed to help. You may wish to play around with this. Also, the fore/aft placement of the bike isn't obvious. I don't know that mine is right yet either.

- It does appear well made and yes, it's expensive and for that price it should be well made. I'm hopeful I don't need to move for a while as this thing will be a PITA to move. It's an awkward thing to move around.

Overall I think it's a net positive for my indoor training. But I think the jury is still out for me as to whether or not it's worth it. I think it'll take all winter for me to be able to declare it a worthwhile purchase. For me so far the biggest plus, by far, is the fore/aft movement of the bike. This, I think, is the greatest benefit of the MP-1. And most of this movement is just a few millimeters to a couple centimeters. But it's definitely part of what makes it less fatiguing and more realistic than being on a fixed position bike.

A buddy got a different one with rubber balls to provide some rocking damping. He says it already helps him to do longer sessions.

It's a luxury/vanity purchase for most people. If I didn't have a good year I don't think I would have bought it nor felt the need for one. I think I'm glad to have it but my overall endorsement isn't crazy strong either.
    Last edited by Saab2000; 12-03-2020 at 09:42 AM.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    We've been through this before. Riding outdoors is simply not possible for many people for several months of the year. Ever been to Chicago in winter? It's a mediocre place to ride at the best of times. Add snow, -15˚C temperatures and icy roads and it's not happening. I'm not sure why people don't get this. We are grateful for improved options for indoor training.
    Put the your rocker plate trainer out on the patio, presto, hypothermia without the risk of falling on the ice.
    Add an outdoor grade tv, and you can Zwift in a howling Chicago winter, while riding around virtual France.
    You could also run MS Flight Simulator, fly the Curtiss Jenny on the patio too, virtual 1920s Airmail Pilot.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast