Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: mountain bikers gravel bike

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default mountain bikers gravel bike

I've been wanting a good do everything bike for a long time, something with flared drop bars, dropper post, equal parts mtb/road/gravel. A bike that will be reasonably quick riding 50 miles of paved or smooth gravel, and be able to handle somewhat technical singletrack. I feel like most the offerings out there "can" handle singletrack, but more just get by because they have bigger tires. I'm thinking something thats not far off a good rigid MTB.

Seems like most the bikes out there follow a pretty similar formula to each other of clearance for 40-45c tires, and relaxed road bike-ish geometry. very few that seem like they actually have singletrack in mind. the salsa cutthroat may be the closest to what i'm thinking.

I may be different in that i'm used to overly slack long travel mountain bikes, slack STA's, tiny stems, and actually prefer that geometry for climbing now that i'm used to it. So looking for my kind of gravel/do everything bike, thats something i can easily live with, maybe that progressive/newschool geometry you're seeing on modern trail/enduro bikes wouldnt work on a drop bar bike? I dont see why it wouldnt, but im not an expert.

There's some rigid 29er touring bikes out there that come close, that i could just swap some drop bars onto, but they seem maybe too stable and heavy feeling, more designed for comfort. I can easily give up some comfort for a more sprinty stiff ride.

Any bikes out there i'm just not thinking of? in the end I may just need to go with a custom builder..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: mountain bikers gravel bike

For mtb/road/gravel, I always think you should pick 2. There is no way a bike that can handle single track will be perfect for a 50 mile paved ride. I think a rigid Salsa Fargo or Cutthroat with 2 wheel sets could be fun. Also think the All City Gorilla Monsoon with flat bars could be super fun.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have Whit at Meriwether make you that bike. He did for me.

-Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CMiller View Post
    For mtb/road/gravel, I always think you should pick 2. There is no way a bike that can handle single track will be perfect for a 50 mile paved ride. I think a rigid Salsa Fargo or Cutthroat with 2 wheel sets could be fun. Also think the All City Gorilla Monsoon with flat bars could be super fun.
    I have a couple mountain bikes, so when it comes to just riding singletrack, i'm set. I understand its not going to ride as well as a flat bar rigid mtb, but I feel like theres a lot of room for improvement over 90% of the current bikes on the market. especially if you're willing to give up some of the road bike characteristics, which i definitely am.

I mean an XC hardtail can be a fast bike on the road, drop bars, and geometry leaning a little towards the gravel side I think would give me the road/gravel speed i'm looking for.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xjoex View Post
    Have Whit at Meriwether make you that bike. He did for me.

-Joe
    looks awesome!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kris Henry has built some bikes that looked close to this sort of approach. I thought he had one of his Huntsman frames with both upright and drop bars on his Flickr, but I can't find it. But 44Bikes is the first company that comes to mind after reading your description. I am guessing Kris would know what sort of bike you were thinking about.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

iglehearts trail poacher is what you want too.

the bike Chris is riding is an example of it

***Instagram***
    my name is Houston

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's a great video portrait of him.
    Last edited by j44ke; 4 Weeks Ago at 10:13 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have you checked out the Rodeo Labs Trail Donkey 2.1:

Traildonkey 2. - Rodeo Adventure Labs, LLCRodeo Adventure Labs, LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Having just spent a week in deep central Maine, I have some ideas.

This year I brought a rigid 29er with flat bars. It was the right setup for the ATV trails, which were pretty rough in spots because of the dry summer and increased traffic. But that's only due to the big (2.2") tires.

The flat bars were appreciated on the rough stuff, but man did they suck after two hours of pedaling dirt roads. I really wanted some drop bars.

Having ridden the same stuff last year on my cross bike (with 32-mm tires) I thought the hot setup would be:

Road/cross position and handling. Road crank Q-factor.
    A scootch wider (than 42 cm on the cross bike) handlebar with less drop and some flare.
    Bottom bracket higher than the cross bike but lower than the 29er.
    29 x 2" tires, tubeless.
    Really solid bottle cages.

Didn't feel I needed the geometry or position of the MTB for chunk and tech, just the armor over the rims. Speeds were much higher than my typical singletrack ride, the dog never would have kept up.
    Last edited by thollandpe; 4 Weeks Ago at 10:44 PM.
    Tödd Höllând

Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring. -- Desmond Tutu

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Saracen Levarg 219 first look - BikeRadar

Cool looking bike, but - I don't think it makes sense. For the past 2 years I've been experimenting with a hardtail dropbar MTB, and I haven't been on a ride where it made 100% sense. To enjoy singletrack and faster downhills, I need a bike I can properly bunnyhop and manual, and for the road, I want to be able to get aero and have fast tires.

I have no problem to ride my gravel/allroad bike on singletrack if it shows up on my routes, but when I want to ride *mosty* singletrack I don't want dropbars.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Put me in the camp of "a jack of all trades bike isn't much fun at any of the trades".

IMO, if you're all set for MTBs, just get a gravel bike with room for 45s. Like others have said, the positioning that's good on a MTB just doesn't work as well on the road (paved or gravel).
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've ridden my @44Bikes Huntsman countless miles on singletrack gravel and road. At the very least have a conversation to hear his thoughts...

Flickr
    Randy Larrison
    My amazing friends call me Shoogs.

Blog post -- I don't think the heavy stuff...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marin View Post
    Saracen Levarg 219 first look - BikeRadar

Cool looking bike, but - I don't think it makes sense. For the past 2 years I've been experimenting with a hardtail dropbar MTB, and I haven't been on a ride where it made 100% sense. To enjoy singletrack and faster downhills, I need a bike I can properly bunnyhop and manual, and for the road, I want to be able to get aero and have fast tires.

I have no problem to ride my gravel/allroad bike on singletrack if it shows up on my routes, but when I want to ride *mosty* singletrack I don't want dropbars.
    The 40mm travel fork doesn't make any sens imho. The dropper on the other hand ...
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don’t want drop bars on single track— I don’t mind flat bars on the road but drop bars would be too hard to maneuver and not wide enough for real mtb riding
    What I am making now:7 sugars.
    Instagram: 7 sugars.

"Nothing is original. Steal from anywhere that resonates with inspiration or fuels your imagination.... Select only things to steal from that speak directly to your soul. If you do this, your work (and theft) will be authentic."
    — Jim Jarmusch

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Steve Garro built this for me. He calls it the Dirt Road Racer. I wanted a double crankset so around 40-42mm is as big as the chainstays will clear, but the unicrown fork has a lot of clearance. My current setup is a 1.9" Specialized Ground Control in the front and a 38mm Gravel King in the rear. The front end takes the hard hits and has to move over loose stuff. The rear wheel follows. I've got 46cm Salsa Cowbells that are around 49cm at the drops. I descend in the drops on singletrack and even the off camber stuff is ok as long as I keep the rear wheel hooked up by pedaling.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I heart burnt bikes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use a full carbon rigid MTB with carbon post/bars and ergons with barends for that.
    It's so much about the wheels and tires in the end.
    Benefit you can use your MTB wheels when needed too.
    The bike I can go all day on , and hurt less than my road bikes.
    I would forget suspension and dropper.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To my mind what you need is short a short travel light XC bike and some bars that let you put your hands in an offroad position and in a aerodynamic position. Maybe a hardtail XC bike with a weird bar like the Moloko bar from Surly, or the Velo Orange "Crazy Bars." You'd be able to get your hands out front and stretched out, but also have the control you need when your hands are on the outermost grips. Throw some narrow MTB tires on or some gravel tires and you'd have an interesting combination.
    - Brad Comis

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

44Bikes Huntsman

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged