Thread: motorbike bicycle rack

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default motorbike bicycle rack

Gents,

I'm looking for a bicycle rack to mount on my piaggio 300cc scooter, mainly to access quickly to more gnarly trails than the nearest ones. Travels would be relatively short but on twisty andalucian roads. I would like to be able to keep some luggage room to store the helmets/jackets/shoes/gloves.

Currently considering the 2x2 cycles Vert or Mini Vert rack as it leaves room for a top box.

I was also thinking about testing converting a motorcycle surfboard rack to carry the bicycle at the side. Not sure how the handle would be affected with a relatively heavy (14KG) trail bike.

Other random ideas if I go the DIY route:

Not sure about the compatibility with a dropper seatpost with that method !

Any experience ? Other suggestions ?
    Last edited by sk_tle; 1 Week Ago at 06:34 AM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: motorbike bicycle rack

Having owned 2 scooters over a period of about 8 years (one with 12" wheels and the other with larger 16" wheels), I would want to keep the weight of the bicycle as low as possible or it will create dangerous scooter handling/steering issues.

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    Gents,

I'm looking for a bicycle rack to mount on my piaggio 300cc scooter, mainly to access quickly to more gnarly trails than the nearest ones. Travels would be relatively short but on twisty andalucian roads. I would like to be able to keep some luggage room to store the helmets/jackets/shoes/gloves.

Currently considering the 2x2 cycles Vert or Mini Vert rack as it leaves room for a top box.

I was also thinking about testing converting a motorcycle surfboard rack to carry the bicycle at the side. Not sure how the handle would be affected with a relatively heavy (14KG) trail bike.

Any experience ? Other suggestions ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know this isn't what you asked for, but if I had room in the garage and your requirements I'd get a Ural and put the rack on the sidecar. It would vastly expand your horizons, in terms of distance and time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
    Having owned 2 scooters over a period of about 8 years (one with 12" wheels and the other with larger 16" wheels), I would want to keep the weight of the bicycle as low as possible or it will create dangerous scooter handling/steering issues.
    FWIW mine has 16" wheels, weight ~175kg and is of the non-sporty kind so handling lean more on the stability/cushioned side.

An oural side car is not really an option, we are on the reduction side of things, not wanting to acquire more vehicles. Otherwise I would simply buy an old van. A single wheel trailer could be an option but I have no idea if I can tow one with my scooter.
    Last edited by sk_tle; 1 Week Ago at 10:09 AM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had a Vespa P200 similar to the Red one in the pic, I set up a bike rack very similar to that one as well. We used it for motorpacing. It worked well and was super easy to mount.. it allowed the weight to stay low which is important if it is at all windy.

I’m not saying anything you haven’t already thought of.. just doesn’t need to be that complicated