User Tag List

Thread: Moped and machete attacks on cyclists in London?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Moped and machete attacks on cyclists in London?

rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Moped and machete attacks on cyclists in London?

Yeah I saw that, what's next? Cyclists needing to carry tasers or more?
    Riding has to be fun, and part of the fun has to be that you’re not worried about having too much technology on your bike. - Tom Ritchey

https://www.tumblr.com/blog/view/peaceloveandmungbean

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not machetes, but the Italian National Track Racing team had their bikes stolen last night out of a van parked in their hotel's "private monitored car park."

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/ita...championships/

Easiest way to sell these bikes is to take them apart and sell the pieces. But I can't imagine the people stealing are also the people selling. The thieves are not interested in warehousing anything, so they're likely to cashing out their haul quickly. Or perhaps these are even targeted thefts - someone issues a shopping list and off they go, the same way cars get stolen. But who are the sellers? And where is the market? Ebay? Craig's List Moscow? High end bike shops in Asia? England? Los Angeles?

I am guessing that what they are doesn't matter as much as how much they are worth and what the return on the theft is for the people involved. More a statement of the price tags on road bikes these days than anything else.
    Last edited by j44ke; 10-23-2021 at 08:33 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The strange thing about the thieves in the UK is the tactic to grab on and drag the cyclist, thus damaging the bike in the process then threaten with a machete if the cyclist refuses to give up the bike.

So the thieves are really only able to sell parts off the damaged bike?
    Riding has to be fun, and part of the fun has to be that you’re not worried about having too much technology on your bike. - Tom Ritchey

https://www.tumblr.com/blog/view/peaceloveandmungbean

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crim...-a3709636.html

The gangs on scooters robbing people and stores has been going on for a long time. The most audacious attack I remember is this one on fleet street in the middle of the working day 4 years ago. It was near my office and super high end.

I remember a few years back when a buddy and I were riding on King's Road and we had two scooters with two young men riding and looking around. At the time, my buddy said they were up to no good.
    I suspect they were looking for purses or phones to snatch from tourists standing on the side of the curb.

The police really need to step it up in London. Somehow they have become afraid to arrest people. For this I blame Gov Ministers. You only need to see how they have been dealing with the eco-protestors (Extinction Rebellion, Insulate Britain)
    Richmond Park has signs posted near all the loos saying 'Beware Thieves Operate in the Area'.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    Richmond Park has signs posted near all the loos saying 'Beware Thieves Operate in the Area'.
    I suppose it's easier to put up a sign than it is to have greater police presence to deter the bad guys.

But that's a sure sign that the authorities don't give a rat's @ss about citizens being mugged, if all they can do about it is warn them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The moped attacks don’t surprise me, in all honesty - although I’d be curious to know which parts of town they’ve been in.

I used to spend a lot of time riding in Richmond Park - I saw, and had interactions with, some idiots (car drivers doing purposeful close passes and braking hard right in front of cyclists) and heard of thefts from the RP café on a regular basis; but actual attacks there? Jeez, that’s not cool…

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Blame it on gun laws: if the brits were not oppressed by leftist restrictions, thieves would be properly armed.
    slow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My stepsister lives in Rockridge, Oakland, CA. Drive-by robberies are epidemic. Car jackings too. A friend's 22 year old daughter was walking down Shattuck midday and two men leapt out of a car and tried to drag her into it. A bystander stopped this.

Crazy times.
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If police in UK are at all like the police in the US (which they may not be) law enforcement unions have instructed members to (to quote the movie Chinatown) do only what’s necessary. Don’t stick your neck out as a petulent reaction to progressive reform of police funding. And politicians figure if they wait long enough, they won’t have to solve any of it. The public will demand more police presence, more officers and more punitive treatment of criminals, and we’ll go right back where we were two years ago. Meanwhile, union leaders are essentially running policy for the police departments and commissioners & the mayor have little ability to dictate otherwise and even less interest in taking on the unions directly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RichTheRoadie View Post
    The moped attacks don’t surprise me, in all honesty - although I’d be curious to know which parts of town they’ve been in.

I used to spend a lot of time riding in Richmond Park - I saw, and had interactions with, some idiots (car drivers doing purposeful close passes and braking hard right in front of cyclists) and heard of thefts from the RP café on a regular basis; but actual attacks there? Jeez, that’s not cool…
    The bike robberies are just the latest and greatest iteration.

19,000 attacks in 2017
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/645288...here-happened/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel like we are going through a violence epidemic and it did not start yesterday. Violence for the sake of violence. It´s horrible, decadent and self destructive. Maybe it´s just personal but it feels like i am on Mad Max landscape. Martial arts, racist ideologies, tribalism, vigilantism, plain stupidity.
    slow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by colker View Post
    Blame it on gun laws: if the brits were not oppressed by leftist restrictions, thieves would be properly armed.
    I'd have to update my statistics, but I think by 6 a.m. New Year's Day in America more people have already been shot and killed than will be shot over the entire year in UK.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    I'd have to update my statistics, but I think by 6 a.m. New Year's Day in America more people have already been shot and killed than will be shot over the entire year in UK.
    I lost my irony emoticon while posting my comment
    slow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This would not happen if people stopped buying bikes not question asked in the streets to anonymous persons.

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    But I can't imagine the people stealing are also the people selling. The thieves are not interested in warehousing anything, so they're likely to cashing out their haul quickly. Or perhaps these are even targeted thefts - someone issues a shopping list and off they go, the same way cars get stolen.
    Can't speak about national team's entire fleets but for individual bikes yes they are usually sold the same day. For example most stolen bikes in Paris are sold at the nearby flee markets. Everybody knows the origin of those bikes is shady yet people still buy those bikes because they are cheap, some because they already got their previous bike stolen. This is so stupid.

I've seen occurence of people saying they saw their exact bike (identifiable through some specific parts) being advertised in leboncoin (the french craiglist) while they were still in their possession. Thiefs likely wait to get a potential buyer to steal the bike and avoid having stock to manage and potential proofs.
    --
    T h o m a s