User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0

Thread: The money behind U.S. Postal - Thomas Weisel, friends, and Tailwind...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The money behind U.S. Postal - Thomas Weisel, friends, and Tailwind...

The Wall Street Journal's Saturday edition has a lenthy story about the moneyed men who got behind U.S. Postal back in the day, led by Thomas Weisel.

"Over the course of a half-dozen years in the early 2000s, a small group of wealthy executives—including San Francisco investment banker Thomas Weisel and shopping-center magnate John Bucksbaum—turned their hobby into the ultimate fantasy camp. They helped put together one of the best pro cycling teams ever assembled and basked in the glow, going behind the ropes at the Tour de France and riding hard in amateur races on Postal team bikes.

"After a record seven Tour wins, the joy ride turned bumpy. The investors never made back the money they put in. The Postal team they helped finance stands accused by one of its former riders, Mr. Landis, of systematic doping. And now, federal criminal investigators looking into the allegations want to know, among other things, whether any owners knew about doping on the team while team representatives were assuring sponsors that riders were clean, according to one person familiar with the matter. It isn't clear whom among the owners investigators are focusing on."

I believe the Thomas Weisel / Tailwind history was mentioned here on V-salon some months ago, so I thought this update might be of interest.

For Cycling's Big Backers, The Joy Ride Ends in Grief - WSJ.com

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The money behind U.S. Postal - Thomas Weisel, friends, and Tailwind...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The money behind U.S. Postal - Thomas Weisel, friends, and Tailwind...

outside looking in.
    these are largely rich guys who bought into this thing for 10% of the price of a small sticker on the front of a nascar vehicle.
    for a return they got vip treatment at the tour de france and hung with the premier pro team in cycling for the decade.
    they got plenty of return for the $$ that probably wouldnt buy a roof box for the giants home schedule.

the doping thing was a little payback im sure but it didnt take a genius to see something like that coming.
    but, why ruin todays stage for that?
    was fun while it lasted. whats next?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
    was fun while it lasted. whats next?
    the clash are playing at foxwoods next month atmo.
    i fought the law and all that...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the copy in.

Did not know the same guys had paid most of the FloydFairnessFund support; that's good, relatively speaking. Also did not know Floyd might profit if the Postal investigation leads to a monetary settlement.

Loved the bit about sponsors riding with the pros and losing touch in 200 yards and going back to breakfast.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what ever happened to those EDS guys back in the 90's that were doing crazy things with sponsor money? IIRC one of them was driving a Lambo as a company car, and I think a couple might have done jail time. Just curious if any of them are still active in cycling.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
    Thanks for re-posting this link; I think I saw that here first.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is no immediate profit in investments of sponsoring in most sports it is about marketing the brands that are the sponsors that is the payoff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bssc View Post
    There is no immediate profit in investments of sponsoring in most sports it is about marketing the brands that are the sponsors that is the payoff.
    what does that mean atmo?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bssc View Post
    i thk the payoff in most cases goes like this...
    " the company paid $4,000,000 for that sticker on the front of the nascar car... and i get to go to a special dinner with jimmy johnson...
    or, to put it on topic...
    "the company expensed $2.5 mil and i got to go on a group ride with lance armstrong and meet the team on a rest day at the tour... it was cool..."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drift, but Nick Chenowith former EDS dude is out of jail and riding for Doing Hard Time cycling club, or at least he was. Still looks pretty ripped and fit as of a year ago. Didn't hear much about him recently.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
    When I brought the papers in this morning I saw the Lance picture and read the article. Was thinking what a perfect bookend it made to the Champions Club article in Outside.com.

I like how some guys are quoted in the Journal article that Tailwind wasn't a good investment for them as it never made any money. I always assumed they were buying into access. I think the Journal reporter got sucked into that comment as some spin by the person they quoted.

I also liked the part about Livestrong labeled e-soles. Just one more bit of entanglement between Livestrong.com and Livestrong.org. Is Nike so insecure? Does Nike really think anyone would think less of them if there was a Livestrong e-sole? Does anyone actually think the insole that comes in any athletic shoe is anything special?