Page 1 of 25 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Monday morning cxexcuses

Post Thanks / Like

Default Monday morning cxexcuses

Woulda coulda shoulda, but I didn't...

because they staged us with the big kids
    Noah and Drew.jpg

What's your excuse for not doing better at your race this past weekend?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Monday morning cxexcuses

elevenfifteen.JPG

Sunday 11:15am

Post Thanks / Like

Not a CX race but the Mt Graham hill climb: Garmin went wonky for some reason and it was measuring only about 1/2 of speed and distance. I didn't know the course so I thought I was truely and completely screwing the pooch. Don't know my body well enough to know when I'm fast and when I'm not.

Post Thanks / Like

banged my knee on my stem last Tuesday when i slid out doing mini course intervals.
    hurts walking down stairs and pushing down hard for power. spinning and just walking around ok.
    a big fat DNS for the first of the CCC series. Seeing a Dr. tomorrow. hopefully it's just a "let it heal on its own thing"
    Drank like a World Cup PRO yesterday- tho
    "make the break"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chance Legstrong View Post
    banged my knee on my stem last Tuesday when i slid out doing mini course intervals.
    hurts walking down stairs and pushing down hard for power. spinning and just walking around ok.
    a big fat DNS for the first of the CCC series. Seeing a Dr. tomorrow. hopefully it's just a "let it heal on its own thing"
    Drank like a World Cup PRO yesterday- tho
    I thought this was about excuses?

Post Thanks / Like

I lose all ability to turn a bike when I'm in the red. If cross races were 15 minutes or less I'd be good.

Post Thanks / Like

For the second week in a row I no showed for a race I'm registered for. Too busy to race bikes. That is the excuse I'm sticking to.

Post Thanks / Like

Not being confident enough to start in the pack. This was my first race, so I spent the first half of the lap in the last 5 riders (i've never raced road or done any big group rides either). After that I did pretty well, but lost a lot of ground at the beginning. I crashed cornering (lost 2 places) because I realized that was my strongest point, so thought I could make up ever more time there if I pushed harder. I crashed in the sandpit (lost 6 places) because I was overconfident and thought I could turn as I was entering, and not before the pit. I also didnt realize I would have to dismount on the other side of the bike, until I hit that section at race speed, and quickly realized I sucked at it. I got passed about 6 times throughout the race on that one set of stairs.

All in all I loved it though. Made it up to 75th, so minus the DNF's I think I passed about 15 or so, I havent got a long look at the results yet.

EDIT: I'd also like to blame the inferno chicken sandwich I had at boston burger company the night before. What was I thinking?
    --------------------
    another jaunt
    REBAR

Post Thanks / Like

In laws visiting means that I have to smile and be part of all the family activities to keep Mr. Wisco happy.

I was DFL in my first Cross race two weeks ago, but am on a "no where but up" trajectory! What was she thinking inviting her parents to visit during Cross season?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wisco View Post
    In laws visiting means that I have to smile and be part of all the family activities to keep Mr. Wisco happy.

I was DFL in my first Cross race two weeks ago, but am on a "no where but up" trajectory! What was she thinking inviting her parents to visit during Cross season?
    Take 'em with you. I've taken my in laws to the Charm City race and they loved it. Food, beer, and a bunch of weird people on bikes. What's not to like?

Post Thanks / Like

I suck. Town Hall Cross is tough. First few minutes of the lap is just a long climb ending up at about 24%. I was pegged from the first moment with HR between 183 and 193 the entire time so I wasn't sandbagging. Still got 11th out of 15 in the old folks race. Like I said, I suck. Well, in fact, I am just way out of shape. Skills are OK, didn't biff it this week. Just can't stick with the guys who train. Still had a blast though.
    Tom Kellogg
    Rides bikes, makes 'em too.
    Spectrum-Cycles.com
    Butted Ti Road, Reynolds UL, Di2, QuarQ, Conour lite, SP Zero
    Steel Cross, X-7, Crank Bros, Concour Lite, Nemesis, Grifo
    Steel Piste, D-A Piste, PD-7400, Concour lite, Zipp 404
    http://kapelmuurindependent.be

Shortest TFC Member (5'6 3/4") & shrinking

Post Thanks / Like

I have two excuses for not placing well in my races, but not going to throw them out there. I know that I'm getting better. I know I'm feeling stronger. I know yesterday was the most fun I've had at cross in a long time. Sure, starting off slow in the series points hurts a bit (and will really cramp the next couple of weeks), but I'm getting there and will be where I want to be by the end of the season.

eff a bunch of excuses.
    This is my substitute for pistol and ball. With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the bike.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jmgorman View Post
    I have two excuses for not placing well in my races, but not going to throw them out there. I know that I'm getting better. I know I'm feeling stronger. I know yesterday was the most fun I've had at cross in a long time. Sure, starting off slow in the series points hurts a bit (and will really cramp the next couple of weeks), but I'm getting there and will be where I want to be by the end of the season.

eff a bunch of excuses.
    Glad your not throwing out any excuses here :)

Post Thanks / Like

I dont want to derail this thread too much, so maybe PM me, has anyone done the casco bay cross race? I like any excuse to go up to portland, and the course looks like it could be fun. Otherwise I figure i'll do the minuteman cross that weekend.
    --------------------
    another jaunt
    REBAR

Post Thanks / Like

I am a mix of Tom Kellogg (except I do suck) and Corso (I need to stay off the pint, or just single speed forever). My other major excuse is too soon old, too late smart.

Post Thanks / Like

So, Toots - tell me if I need to drop and give you twenty for a thread derail, but I wanted to share the email I just received from last week's race director:

Thanks for being great racers
    I met with the Park Manager at South Germantown Recreation Park early last week to do a debrief meeting about the South Germantown Cross Race. He and the park staff were incredibly happy with how the race went over.

He had two huge comments about you - the racers:
    They had zero, absolutely zero, problems with any of the people at the race. Everything went perfectly smoothly, which apparently is very rare for large events in the park.
    The venue was perfectly clean after the race. The park staff picked up a total of 5 gallons of trash, and none of it was actually from the race.
    So I want to give all of you a HUGE THANK YOU for being so awesome!

This was incredibly important, since this 1st year at South Germantown was definitely a "foot-in-the-door" race to prove that we would be ok in the park. This year we were very restricted in the area that we could use, and were not allowed to have beer, or a food vendor.

Because you were so awesome, we will have some huge positive changes to the race next year. Beer sponsor allowed! Food vendors allowed!

PLUS, It turns out that there are 10 ft wide double track trails in the woods that lead over to the steep hills by the parking entrance. For next year they are giving us carte blanche to use the woods around the venue, as well as those steep hills.

So look forward to a much more interesting course and event next year...

Robert
    Your friendly neighborhood race director
    So thrilled that this race won't have any excuses for being lame next year. Pretty impressed that they were able to leverage specific participant behavior into real gains for next year. This race was a big grass crit, so will benefit considerably from the addition of other features.
    This is my substitute for pistol and ball. With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the bike.

Post Thanks / Like

Damn, where do I begin? If excuses were part of cross I'd be rocking it. I'll start with allergies and/or sinus infection for roughly the last month, which caused me to lose a ton of fitness between mid August and mid September and not be able to do interval sessions of any kind like I had wanted to. Every race I do I get a bit faster, though. My results should be respectable by December. Ha ha ha.

This Saturday is a pretty awesome laundry list but also the day I felt the best out of my 4 races so far (though I did better on Day 2 even though everything felt worse and lacked motivation):

-switched chainring while an hour late departing for Gloucester on Friday afternoon. Turns out stock Campy bolts won't let me use two Stronglight rings on these cranks. That was fun!
    -drove all afternoon/night on friday
    -hey I forgot pedals. Hi Darren: got any spare SPDs up there in Greenwich? (thanks buddy!)
    -slept 4 hours in a tent
    -woke up at 5 AM and made coffee in the dark
    -registration wasn't open until an hour before staging, which means...
    -not enough time for good warmup
    -still have to put crank back on bike
    -discovered I can't really shift into the big ring less than 10 minutes before race started, so time for a "move chain keeper, lower derailleur, tighten up cable" operation in that time period.
    -staged dead last in a field of 125
    -dropped chain three times during race. Wonder why?

Anyone want to try to best that list? ;)

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't hear the starter say "go" and was pretty much the last guy off the line, squandering my front row call up.

Seriously, when the official said "30 seconds" and the chatter in the field died away, I started to focus on the impending start. Then I got bored and my mind wandered to the rain soaking my shoulders. First clue I had was everyone was suddenly a bike length ahead of me.

Worked my way back up to 11th, but it was unsatisfying given a few people that started three rows back managed to beat me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lukasz View Post
    Damn, where do I begin? If excuses were part of cross I'd be rocking it. I'll start with allergies and/or sinus infection for roughly the last month, which caused me to lose a ton of fitness between mid August and mid September and not be able to do interval sessions of any kind like I had wanted to. Every race I do I get a bit faster, though. My results should be respectable by December. Ha ha ha.

This Saturday is a pretty awesome laundry list but also the day I felt the best out of my 4 races so far (though I did better on Day 2 even though everything felt worse and lacked motivation):

-switched chainring while an hour late departing for Gloucester on Friday afternoon. Turns out stock Campy bolts won't let me use two Stronglight rings on these cranks. That was fun!
    -hey I forgot pedals. Hi Darren: got any spare SPDs up there in Greenwich? (thanks buddy!)
    -slept 4 hours in a tent
    -discovered I can't really shift into the big ring less than 10 minutes before race started, so time for a "move chain keeper, lower derailleur, tighten up cable" operation in that time period.

haha, cat 5 field, or just cat 5 prep?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lukasz View Post

-slept 4 hours in a tent

Did you have to start at the back Sunday too? if so I was probably right by you. What were you wearing for a jersey? unfortunate to hear you didn't have the best weekend.
    --------------------
    another jaunt
    REBAR