Thread: Modernizing a Classic: 1984 Trek 760

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Modernizing a Classic: 1984 Trek 760

Hi Friends!

Long time no talk! I used to post on here a lot when I was in college and when I first moved to Boston years ago. Met a few of you fine folks as well back then. Cycling kinda fell to the wayside in grad school, especially after I had 2 back surgeries, but I'm really hoping to get back into it now. I sold my old race bike, a 2008 CAAD9 with mostly DA7800 and got a pittance for it and was looking at used bikes but haven't been able to find anything I really liked in my low price range (since I'm trying to be good and prioritizing paying off loans!). Then I remembered that I used to have my 84 Trek 760 set up with campy back in the day and found it really comfortable, so I thought... why not try that again.

Here's a brief recap of said bike in my possession:

When I first got it in like 2006-2007?

Cleaned up:

Hmmm, maybe I should buy some parts and race it!

Okay, so now I have a cannondale race bike so maybe I should convert it to SSFG so I can ride it around for fun and commute on it in boston.

In any event... I've been out of the game for almost a decade and everything is different. Does anyone have any recs for what I should be looking for re parts? I had really wanted a carbon fork back in the day, but this fork will happily take a 28 tire so that's nice. I had found no fault in the DA7800 I had and honestly feel like I should have stripped the parts off the CAAD9 before selling it for what I did. I've toyed with selling this bike too, but I'd honestly love to build it and ride it again as a keeper.

Any advice? I've already started searching through the classifieds here!
    Thanks for all your input. It's good to be back in the VSalon!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Modernizing a Classic: 1984 Trek 760

Welcome back!

Resto-modding old bikes is sort of a hobby of mine. I have a 3Rensho with DA9000 that I adore and rides beautifully. A modern bar with flat ramps really improves the feel of the bike and the super light wheels really let the character of the frame shine. The build eschews chrome, with the only shine coming from the polished inserts of the group. I've found that the bike keeps up just fine on any ride and - if it's your thing - always starts conversations.
    IMG_0235.jpg

My current project is a fat tired 650b rim brake conversion on an old Nishiki Prestige, goal being a light tourer/all-roader. It's giving me a chance to try out a few parts that have been on my radar, namely Microshift's Advent group, Pacenti 650b rim brake Brevet wheels and Shimano's new GRX 1x crankset. The aesthetics will be a bit more classic than the 3Rensho, with polished wheels, post, stem and bars on the bluish green frame. Had I not gone with Advent, I probably would have went with my old faithful gravel build of DA7900 shifters with XTR M970 RD.

In my mind, DA9000 is the best group going for this type of mod if you're staying on the road. It's quite a bit cheaper since the introduction of DA9100, but the performance to my hands feels identical. I also think it looks classier with the polished metal accents as opposed to the all black ano. The performance is absolutely sublime.

DA7800 was probably the best shifting 10s group, but I never liked the catfish whiskers external cable routing, so I tend to avoid it.
    Drop bars not bombs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh my god that's beautiful. What's the setup for the headset/stem? Is that just an adapter? I think I'm going to need something with a bit more height.

I didn't mind the external routing of the 7800. When I raced they helped with the 'invisible aerobar' position. Not that I'd do that anymore...

I'll look into the DA7900, but I've been hunting for some of the Ultegra 6600 of the 7800 era. I only got 500 bucks for my CAAD9 which was a bummer, so I'm really hoping I can end up with everything for under that amount though it's going to be pretty challenging. Hoping I can scrounge through some of the V-salon parts bins and I'm keeping an eye out on the classifieds as well!

Did I mention that your bike is gorgeous. Dang.

PS: Thanks for the warm welcome back!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, I do love that 3Rensho!

For the stem, I use a 1" to 1 1/8" adaptor. If going that route, make sure to get an adaptor with a chamfered or rounded connection between the narrow and wider parts of the shaft. The ones with a right angle notch sit perfectly flat on the headset nut for the #slamthatstem look but also have a dangerous stress riser than can crack. Since you want a bit of a rise, I'd recommend staying with the quill stem and getting a modern bend bar with a 26.0 clamp (Soma Highway One is a perennial favorite). This should also shorten your reach a bit, which might feel better on your back.

As for drivetrain - if you're on a budget and want to go 11s, I can't recommend the 105 5800 groupset enough. It's only about 350g more than a full DA7800 group and can often be had for less than $500 with shifting and pedaling performance that puts any 10s group to shame. The best part is that it comes in silver for a nice classic look. I have resto-modded quite a few steel bikes for friends, and any time they're on a budget, 105 5800 is the group we end up at. If you went with an Ultegra or DA crank and 105 everything else, you're within a few power bars of the much more expensive groups in weight with practically equivalent performance. You will need an 11s capable wheel to go this route though.

Tires have changed a lot in the last decade. The Conti GP4000 is still one of the best, but tan wall tires are all the rage. My current pick for an all purpose 28c tire is the Panaracer Gravel King 28. It has a full bead to bead breaker, but a super supple carcass that feels great and rolls as fast as racing clinchers did back in the day. Grip is great, and it can easily handle cobbles and off road excursions.

Can't wait to see where you go on this project! That Trek is a great base to build on, and I think you're gonna end up with a sweet ride!
    Drop bars not bombs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is the kind of adapter that won't have the issue you mention right? I could always get a slight rise stem or flat stem for it instead of trying to go for a slammed setup. If there's enough of a rise on the adapter, it shouldn't be an issue right?

Additionally, I have a 10 speed wheelset sitting around and 2-3 cassettes and some other random parts. I'll have to see what I can get my hands on. Maybe I'll give SRAM a try if there's no huge reason not to? I'm also a bit tempted to look at some 10 sp campy stuff and run the 'shimagnolo' setup I did in a picture posted above. I'm sure it'd work better with the shiftmate though.

I guess my goals are:
    -10 speed setup that works with shimano wheels/cassettes (and SRAM too then, right?)
    -Compact crankset
    -Hopefully modern bars (have a lead on a few used sets)
    -Reasonably light wheels (have a lead on a few sets locally)

I can always add things in time. I have a feeling I'd like to pick up another 2012-2015 era 10 speed bike in the next year or two if I ride often enough.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The stress riser thing is real or just anecdotal? Ive had Nitto adapters for years. Never had any indication of issues, never heard of one breaking. They are steel not aluminum though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kalloy Uno makes a modern compact handlebar for a 26 mm clamp that is very affordable. No need for additional adapters and a new stem.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheNerdyCyclist View Post

Resto-modding old bikes is sort of a hobby of mine.
    ok, I'll admit it - I have a total man crush on your "alternatively purposed" bike collection. The 3Rensho and the Blur just kill it for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rmplum View Post
    ok, I'll admit it - I have a total man crush on your "alternatively purposed" bike collection. The 3Rensho and the Blur just kill it for me.
    Thanks! It's like legos for bike nerds, keeps me out of trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    The stress riser thing is real or just anecdotal? I’ve had Nitto adapters for years. Never had any indication of issues, never heard of one breaking. They are steel not aluminum though.
    I've never use a steel one, and both I and a friend have had an Al one crack on us (both had the right angle shoulder, and neither resulted in a crash thankfully). Anecdotal for sure, but it's enough for me to tolerate a small gap. I'd guess that the Al fatigue cycles play a role here, whereas steel and Ti don't really have a fatigue life.

Quote Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
    This is the kind of adapter that won't have the issue you mention right? I could always get a slight rise stem or flat stem for it instead of trying to go for a slammed setup. If there's enough of a rise on the adapter, it shouldn't be an issue right?
    That'll do just fine, but note that the minimum insert line for that one won't give you much of a lift in the stem.
    Drop bars not bombs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Omg I just realized that Jtek makes a shiftmate for an 11 speed shifter and derailleur mating to a ten speed cassette!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone have any groupset recs?

I've toyed with Sram, doing a shimagnolo using a jtek shiftmate, or even just getting an 11 speed 105 setup I found locally. I'd need to get a new wheelset for that last option though.

With no other bikes currently in the stable, it's ss good a time as any to have a new standard...

Any info on this? I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for here.
    I'm planning a similar project with a late 80s steel Giordana/SLX frameset that I purchased in a drunken state (me, not the frame) just before a cross-continental move with some already difficult decisions pending on existing mothballed project frames - I need a 24 hour delay on my buy-it-now Ebay button. But it's a nice old frame with dimensions as if it were custom to my over-equipped undertrained corpus, it, like, followed me home.
    Anywho, for now, I'm going with 9sp Shimano with DT shifters because I have all the parts (in multiples) because it all works well and no extra cost to me to assuage the guilt a little.
    HOWEVER.
    If this thing rides like the dream I think it will, I will eventually move over a 5800 group that I've enjoyed for several years from my favorite (and only) custom and replace with a slightly newer 105-level 7000 derailleurs and shifters-pretty much the same components with a couple of minor improvements over the 5800 (new rear derailleur with a little larger capacity and improved front derailleur). I have other bikes with 11 speed Ultegra and DuraAce and after the honest admission that they have no advantage other than a (small) water bottle's weight equivalent I'll stay with 105-level stuff. Because it works as well as the (much) more expensive components, as in zero difference in a blindfold test. And I will finally put all my 9speed stuff into the rearview mirror (I skipped 10sp altogether because the older stuff wasn't dead yet). 11 speed Shimano at any level is a significant upgrade over older components from any manufacturer, and 105 is the bang-for-dollar sweet spot once you get over "but it's not campy" or super-pretty or whatever. None of the new stuff that anybody makes is super pretty in an elegant polished way, even the newer Potenza and Chorus bits- it just ain't the same as BITD. It makes no sense to me to be surfing Ebay or classifieds for old parts when you're starting from zero. Spend a little more for new 11 sp wheels and components that outperform the older stuff in real-world ways (gear range, shifting performance, brakes better than ever) and can move to a newer frame if/when that old Trek seems like... something you'd like to replace with something else in the likely near-future. BTW, Shimano 11 speed WH-RS500 wheels are a steal at less than $350 with good hubs, modern rim width, tubeless-ready if that's your thing (or not) and will also work with older 8-10sp cassettes if you go that route.

BTW, I'm well familiar with Jtek and Shimagnolo, as I raced cross with several mongrel bikes over a bunch of seasons. It works OK, (10sp Campy shifters with 9sp Shim drivetrain with a Jtek) but just OK. In fact, 10 sp Campy shifters and 8 speed Shimano drivetrain doesn't need a Jtek adaptor if you use an alternative cable route. But I'm done with that nonsense, I only did it in order to use parts I already had and I treat all CX equipment as disposable, because, well, it's cross. Get a new or lightly used 105 11sp group and don't look back, it's the best choice, no need to overthink it, it will make your bike happy as well as your wallet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Omg I just realized that Jtek makes a shiftmate for an 11 speed shifter and derailleur mating to a ten speed cassette!
    Just say no. This is a solution to a problem that you don't have, a gateway to madness.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In college, I was able to successfully race on a setup which had centaur everything and a Shimano chain and cassette.

It worked really really well.

Changing rear wheels was a nightmare though lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well... So it begins.

I just impulse bought some Ultegra 6700 shifters with a 105 FD/RD and 11-32 cassette with chain. I'm going to keep my 105 brakes that I have already since they'll be fine. Mismatched... but fine. Going to go pick up a used set of neuvation wheels similar to the ones I used for years for about 60 bucks with tires and a cassette on saturday.

I think I'm going to need a 28.6 adapter for the FD. Oops.

So a few follow up questions...

1) If I get a steerer adapter... any recs for one with a bit more height to it? If I can't find much, I may look into quill stems with a bit more height as well just in case I need it.
    2) What was the bar rec from earlier? The 26mm bars that someone had mentioned earlier that were more 'modern'. My google fu is failing me.
    3) I still need cranks! Do the newer 11 speed cranks work with a 10 speed setup? I've read mixed things about it and it looks like there are a LOT of inexpensive 11 speed compact cranks on the market since it appears that's what everyone is running these days.

Thanks for answering all my questions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I have another cassette or two sitting around at home and a 12-25 is likely a better fit than an 11-32 since that ratio will have quite a few gaps!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well... So it begins.

I just impulse bought some Ultegra 6700 shifters with a 105 FD/RD and 11-32 cassette with chain. I'm going to keep my 105 brakes that I have already since they'll be fine. Mismatched... but fine. Going to go pick up a used set of neuvation wheels similar to the ones I used for years for about 60 bucks with tires and a cassette on saturday.

I think I'm going to need a 28.6 adapter for the FD. Oops.

So a few follow up questions...

1) If I get a steerer adapter... any recs for one with a bit more height to it? If I can't find much, I may look into quill stems with a bit more height as well just in case I need it.
    2) What was the bar rec from earlier? The 26mm bars that someone had mentioned earlier that were more 'modern'. My google fu is failing me.
    3) I still need cranks! Do the newer 11 speed cranks work with a 10 speed setup? I've read mixed things about it and it looks like there are a LOT of inexpensive 11 speed compact cranks on the market since it appears that's what everyone is running these days.

Thanks for answering all my questions!
    1) I'd stay with the quill setup. I know they maker longer adapters, and Amazon might be your friend here. If you need a serious rise, I'd suggest going with a +10 degree stem.
    2) I'd run a Soma Highway One in silver, but I think Kalloy makes a nice inexpensive one as well.
    3) I think 11s cranks work fine with 10s stuff (for the most part).
    Drop bars not bombs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I just found this thread on bikeforums and it appears to be a really interesting option. Figured some other folks on here may be interested as well.

Threadless Conversion Headset - Bike Forums

Here's what it looks like:

(just to show how high it is before being cut)

Looks to be a significantly pricier option to the adapters, but looks like it would be really cool. Anyone else tried this?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's pretty clever. My concern here (and it may well be unjustified), is that the design overloads the fork threads. In a conventional threaded headset, the fork threads are only for preload, while the quill handles all the bending forces. Quill stems often make a bit of sound unless well greased because they move around a little inside the fork steerer. In this design, that movement is eliminated because the top cap is anchored directly to the threads which may in turn transmit forces into the fork in a way the threads and the steerer never expected.

That said, it does look quite clean!
    Drop bars not bombs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Id get a Nitto Technomic stem. I think they just look better if you need some elevation beyond what the average quill stem provides.

Mismatched parts are the way to go. Better shifters give you the feel of a better group while work-a-day derailleurs give you the function, at least with Shimano.

If you liked Neuvation Wheels, Mike Nugent is still making them just in current dimensions (wider rims) as Nugent Cycling - Home

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheNerdyCyclist View Post
    It's pretty clever. My concern here (and it may well be unjustified), is that the design overloads the fork threads. In a conventional threaded headset, the fork threads are only for preload, while the quill handles all the bending forces. Quill stems often make a bit of sound unless well greased because they move around a little inside the fork steerer. In this design, that movement is eliminated because the top cap is anchored directly to the threads which may in turn transmit forces into the fork in a way the threads and the steerer never expected.

That said, it does look quite clean!
    Hmm... I'll message the seller to see what he thinks of that and update the folks here.

I may end up going with this option though since, while more pricey, it seems to be exactly what I want. I can't find any of the quill extensions that work with modern bars that allow for a reasonable height. Right now there's about 3 inches of the quill showing but the top of the bars is about 2 inches. If I had 3 inches of 'steerer' or extension with a quill item, I'd be more than able to get a flat or flipped stem to get some wiggle room on height if necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    I’d get a Nitto Technomic stem. I think they just look better if you need some elevation beyond what the average quill stem provides.

Mismatched parts are the way to go. Better shifters give you the feel of a better group while work-a-day derailleurs give you the function, at least with Shimano.

If you liked Neuvation Wheels, Mike Nugent is still making them just in current dimensions (wider rims) as Nugent Cycling - Home
    I saw that. He has some really well priced closeouts as well. I'm debating either getting a used set of neuvations I found locally or just sucking it up and getting a new set from him in an updated arrangement. The local ones are honestly pretty cheap though (sub 100) with tires and a cassette so it's a bit of a no brainer for future spare wheel hoard-age as well!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast