Thread: modern gimondi bend ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default modern gimondi bend ?

Hi guys.

A bit more than 2 decades ago as a junior I was using an handlebar I really liked. It was the 3T Competizione with the "Gimondi" bend:

Having a decent saddle to handlebar drop I loved how the bar allowed a lot of room when sprinting with the hand in the drop.

Nowadays I switch on a regular basis from a road bike with a 3T Tornova handlebar to a gravel bike with a Selcof sterrato flared Gravel handlebar. The flare allow some room in a similar way to the old bars with the "Gimondi" bend. It made me realize how I miss my old handlebars.

I would like to find a good road handlebar that provides a similar experience to the old gimondi bars. Does such thing exist ? Track handlebars usually don't play well with road levers or have too much drop and I'm not so fond of the look of a road bike with a flared handlebar.
    Last edited by sk_tle; 5 Days Ago at 04:48 AM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: modern gimondi bend ?

As an illustration here is the handlebar on my road bike :

on my gravel bike :

--
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ritchey Neo Classic has round drops and short reach combined with a large radius curve from flats to ramps that should provide some extra room for the forearms. Drop is not as deep as Tornova though, so you might need to lose some spacers or use a stem that angles down more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you can tolerate a 26.0mm centre section the Cinelli Criterium 65-40/42/44 is still readily available. It's the best match I know for the 3ttt Gimondi. Used it myself for years, for the same reasons.

Criterium | Cinelli

Nitto offer various threadless stems with 26.0mm clamp diameter. I've used one with a Cinelli bar with no issues.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Deda Newton deep (now branded Zero 100 deep) have a bigger radius coming off the tops that does a pretty good job of staying out of the way of my wrists while in the drops.

It is not really the same shape as the bar pictured in the original post, but it might be worth a try.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The problem is likely to be with the lever placement. Since that bend was around, the lever mounting point has moved upward for most people. On those bars, moving upward means moving to the curved section...So, it depends a lot on the brand, model and time period of the levers involved. I have a friend who likes the Cinelli Criterium and manages to get a good setup with Campy 10 speed levers. There's really no other way to find out other than to try the setup. I've seen these bars on Ebay with regularity while searching out my favorite bars, the 3TTT Merckx bend. I think I'd be inclined to try out the genuine setup as I don't think there's a modern equivalent...at least that I've seen. I'd also search for NOS as I don't think it's worth the risk with used bars...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Humilis humilibus...Inflectans arroganibus....."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by El Chaba View Post
    The problem is likely to be with the lever placement. Since that bend was around, the lever mounting point has moved upward for most people.
    Yes that's my fear. The ritchey mentionned by Fiery might be the best compromise of these 3.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had the same question a decade ago. Cinelli 65 Criterium bars are very similar and for my hands the most natural shaped handlebar I've ever used. But I never found a way to make them really work with modern levers. The other issue with making it work is that you're still left with old, soft aluminum bars with a small diameter clamping area.

No suggestions from me other than that the 3T Ergonova bar is not awful. It doesn't have the bend but it has a slight flare (about 1cm per side) and allows for modern shifters and riding in the drops is reasonable. I have a couple of them on different bikes and they're probably the closest I have come to a 65-bend bar in terms of the final result of the hand position even though they don't really look the same. I'll try to find a picture from my bikes in a bit.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    Yes that's my fear. The ritchey mentionned by Fiery might be the best compromise of these 3.
    The Neo Classic also suffers from this a bit, unfortunately. The hoods start twisting inwards (pushing the levers outwards) if you have them too high up on the ramps. It is not as bad as the two mentioned classic bars, but you don't get the same liberty of positioning as with most modern shaped ones. It depends on the groupset you'll be running too - in my experience, Sram shifters suffer the most from this kind of issue.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    Does such thing exist ?
    No.

-g
    EPOst hoc ergo propter hoc

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i've given up. modern levers just don't work with old timey handlebars.

i've moved all my bikes over to Deda M35s which have a nice shape, put modern levers in the right place, and curve enough that the drops are totally useable in hooks and you don't kill yourself sprinting.

the Cinelli and that weird Gimondi shape were great bars- but they were designed for a time when brake levers sat halfway down the bend of the bar, there were two or three useable positions in the drops, and riding on the hoods was done but not nearly as much as it is now.
    bamboo, aluminum, wood.

My name is Craig Gaulzetti.

www.summercycles.com

www.gaulzetti.co

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I haven't tried them yet--and they definitely don't have the gimondi bend--but in my quest to find decent drop with a nice flat section in modern bars there are 2 models that I want to get my hands on eventually (I've been holding out because neither is drilled for the di2 junction box and I already drilled out an older fsa bar with a traditional round drop): the Fizik snake bar (available in a few different levels of material/price--far right in the pic) and the zipp service course 88. I don't know why manufacturers insist on the 3/4 angle shot--you can's see the bend or reach accurately at all

9802733576_0c274f49cf.jpg

00.6618.037.000.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jerk View Post
    i've given up. modern levers just don't work with old timey handlebars.

i've moved all my bikes over to Deda M35s which have a nice shape, put modern levers in the right place, and curve enough that the drops are totally useable in hooks and you don't kill yourself sprinting.

the Cinelli and that weird Gimondi shape were great bars- but they were designed for a time when brake levers sat halfway down the bend of the bar, there were two or three useable positions in the drops, and riding on the hoods was done but not nearly as much as it is now.

I really like these bars as well...but...are they still being made, or is this a stock pile situation??

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveS View Post
    I really like these bars as well...but...are they still being made, or is this a stock pile situation??
    The Deda 35s?

Archivi Products - Deda Elementi - Componenti per biciclette

I'm a big fan.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the M35 has the same shape as the Zero 100. I have a couple of these and yes, it’s a great shape.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pro vibe round. The drop is a little more square than a classic round drop, but the wrist clearance is more than generous. I donít know if they are still in production, but Iím sure they are still out there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    I think the M35 has the same shape as the Zero 100. I have a couple of these and yes, it’s a great shape.
    It does. And it is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is this the Deda bend that y'all are hollerin' about?...The same as the original Newton?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Humilis humilibus...Inflectans arroganibus....."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

If you don't mind casting your net on the eBizzle, and you're OK with used handlebars, you can find the strange squared-off crit bend of the Easton EC90 Ultra Ergo:

The round bend EC90 was my go-to bar (also bdaghisallo's) and they've been super reliable for me. They are made well.

TH

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nope. This one. I was a long, long time Deda Newton/Zero100 shallow drop devotee (and I still love them for some bikes), but the RHM drop of theirs is excellent and my new go to.

35s:

Not 35s:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast