User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Miyata Five Twelve. Tire clearance, 650b, sizing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Miyata Five Twelve. Tire clearance, 650b, sizing.

Hi!

I have some questions regarding a Five Twelve that I've found (but not yet bought). Seller says it's a 65 cm frame. From what I understand a Miyata that's 65 cm (according to geo tables) from this period should be 67 cm C-T?

What's the largest tires it would fit (with 700c wheels)? Would the frame be suitable for a 650b conversion? What is the O.L.D. for the rear wheel? Sorry for the many questions, here are some pictures

P6042986.jpg
    P6042989.jpg
    P6042993.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Miyata Five Twelve. Tire clearance, 650b, sizing.

Most of the Miyata road bikes I remember had pretty tight clearance. Like 25mm was it. This was the era of Specialized Turbos in 20mm width or narrower.

But here is someone on Flickr who has converted a 912 to 650b. You could contact him. Flickr

You should probably just measure the bike or if the bike isn't where you are, ask the seller for the measurements you want. A labeled photo will help.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The aero shifters put it right at the dividing line between 120 and 126 OLD. ~1983. Probably 126.

I put 650B on a tight-clearance Miyata 914, and it worked. Those don't look like short-reach brakes. They might be medium-length, which is kinda rare for recessed-bolt brakes, but my 1981 Miyata-built Univega took medium-reach GC450 centerpulls that had recessed bolts, so ??? If anything you might not be able to find long-enough brakes, from the looks of it.

EDIT: 512 doesn't show up in the Miyata catalogs until 1987, well after aero-shifters. You're sure it's a 512?

EDIT2: I can't find that color scheme on anything in the US catalogs, maybe I need to dig deeper. Lower-end components and seat-tube accent have me thinking '85 Miyata 310.
    https://www.ragandbone.ca/PDFs/Miyat...logue%2085.pdf

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Most of the Miyata road bikes I remember had pretty tight clearance. Like 25mm was it. This was the era of Specialized Turbos in 20mm width or narrower. But here is someone on Flickr who has converted a 912 to 650b. You could contact him. Flickr
    Thanks! This looks a bit tight for my taste: All sizes | IMG_853 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    You should probably just measure the bike or if the bike isn't where you are, ask the seller for the measurements you want. A labeled photo will help.
    Sounds like a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by larslehtonen View Post
    The aero shifters put it right at the dividing line between 120 and 126 OLD. ~1983. Probably 126. I put 650B on a tight-clearance Miyata 914, and it worked. Those don't look like short-reach brakes. They might be medium-length, which is kinda rare for recessed-bolt brakes, but my 1981 Miyata-built Univega took medium-reach GC450 centerpulls that had recessed bolts, so ??? If anything you might not be able to find long-enough brakes, from the looks of it. EDIT: 512 doesn't show up in the Miyata catalogs until 1987, well after aero-shifters. You're sure it's a 512?
    Excellent input! Pretty sure it's a 512, looks like the one showed on this site. 512 too, they say it's a 1986 model year. That site shows two pictures. Could they give a good hint on brake reach and clearance?

http://www.cykelhobby.com/bilder/andras11/miyata5.jpg
    http://www.cykelhobby.com/bilder/andras11/miyata6.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

EDIT2: I can't find that color scheme on anything in the US catalogs, maybe I need to dig deeper. Lower-end components and seat-tube accent have me thinking '85 Miyata 310.
    https://www.ragandbone.ca/PDFs/Miyat...logue%2085.pdf
    I'm in Europe. See my post above about model year.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mikael View Post
    I'm in Europe. See my post above about model year.
    That makes sense. The '87 US catalog says specifically that the 512 is new (apparently to the US) for 1987.

'86 should definitely be 126 OLD.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Re: Miyata Five Twelve. Tire clearance, 650b, sizing.

That makes sense. The '87 US catalog says specifically that the 512 is new (apparently to the US) for 1987. '86 should definitely be 126 OLD.
    OK, thanks!