User Tag List

Thread: Mesh Baselayers in Winter?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Mesh Baselayers in Winter?

What has been everyone's experience with using mesh baselayers in winter?

I have been considering this product:

Hi-Tech Mesh Wool Base Layer | Unisex Wool Thermo Long Sleeve Shirt w/ Inlay

.....since it was given rave reviews by a cycling acquaintance of mine for helping prevent cold clamminess that one can experience at times during winter cycling by helping to transfer moisture to a middle or outer layer, away from your skin. That's the theory, at least.

I find that when riding on typical routes here, with the constant barrage of hills, I get a sweaty baselayer at some point in the ride no matter how light I dare to dress, then suffer with the cold clammy thing as a result. Faithfully re-positioning the chest zip of my outer layer at the top and bottom of each hill helps, but it still doesn't prevent the problem from happening.

I should point out that I most often wear 100% wool baselayers of varying weights. Top layer varies with the weather, of course - could be a heavy wool jersey, a softshell jacket, a LS or SS Gabba (which paradoxically I enjoy wearing the most in dry weather), wind jacket, or a rain shell. I'll often add a middle layer when it's below 35 deg F. or so, and it's usually wool.

I should also note that I have used synthetic baselayers too, and they aren't any better. They actually seem slightly worse in terms of getting cold after sweat has whetted it.

Thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Mesh Baselayers in Winter?

I used a mesh full sleeve baselayer (outwet) with a light merlino wool baselayer (ibex) overtop on a ride this week at 40 degrees. I have the same frustration as you as my rides are always up and down. It worked pretty well; better than a lot of heavier single baselayers that just seem unable to wick enough sweat away from the skin after the first hour of riding. I'm still searching for the right combo (s) though, and it seems to differ with about every 5 degree change in temperature.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I sometimes wear a summer sleeveless mesh base layer under a normal winter base layer for this reason. In my experience it does seem to help stave off dampness and the inevitable coldness for longer into the ride.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Q365 makes a mesh that is excellent for the winter. Try it
    ***Instagram***
    my name is Houston

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
    Q365 makes a mesh that is excellent for the winter. Try it
    What he said. That is really nice stuff and holds up well.

I use mesh base all year even in the cold.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the feedback fellas.

Thanks also for the lead on the Q36.5 baselayers. I hadn't looked at those before but they are impressive. This particular model should fit the bill: Base Layer 3 Long Sleeve - Baselayers - Q36.5

Do the Q36.5 baselayers hold onto stink like most synthetics? (Expecting a 'yes' answer but one can always hope.) That was the main attraction for me to the wool version of the Brynje product (but I worry about long term durability of a very open mesh using that much wool).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by steamer View Post

Thanks also for the lead on the Q36.5 baselayers. I hadn't looked at those before but they are impressive. This particular model should fit the bill: Base Layer 3 Long Sleeve - Baselayers - Q36.5

Do the Q36.5 baselayers hold onto stink like most synthetics? (Expecting a 'yes' answer but one can always hope.) That was the main attraction for me to the wool version of the Brynje product (but I worry about long term durability of a very open mesh using that much wool).
    No, they do not hold stink at all. I wear the sleeveless job to yoga 3/4 times per week. They go in the wash each time and come out perfect.
    Campagnolo base is my second all time favorite.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a Rapha base layer that is a wool mesh- It is super warm.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After +40 years of cycling year round in the Great North East, I discovered silk in the last five years. A light silk base layer seems to work best--doesn't build a static charge, or get clammy and maintains slickness so other layers glide over it without binding. Need washing in cold and hang dry, however. Seems to wear like iron. Provides more wind resistance than wool or synthetics. Most of it comes from China or Taiwan, so keep an eye on those tariffs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by steamer View Post

No they dont stink. I do but they dont. Never even thought about this until reading your post.
    ***Instagram***
    my name is Houston

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wore my mesh merino zip turtle neck today. Love the warmth and breathability. It's a Brynje of Norway.
    Buy a size up and be gentle washing.
    It's a killer product.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I found the Rapha Merino mesh base on sale for black Friday. Bought the LS version. Very small mesh.

The Castelli Seamless Sleeveless I bought a few years ago get worn a bunch. Warmest thing you'll wear all winter. Promise

The Brynje synthetic mesh base layer got a great review on ?bikeradar/bikerumor? a bit ago. Less $$ than the merino mesh...

IME the key is a bigger mesh that traps more air pockets. Just like a double pane window, that air warms up and keeps you warmer. ...as long as you keep the wind away.

I'm was wearing a Craft 3A base layer working in my unheated garage. That and a synthetic down vest under a regular sweatshirt and while I wasn't warm, I wasn't cold either.

HTH

M

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

there was a --------> RAPHA one, great one! MERINO! fantastic!

what a drama!