Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: In Memorium: Rich Roat @ House Industries

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default In Memorium: Rich Roat @ House Industries

Father, husband, volunteer Fireman and one in a million creative genius with a huge heart.

Rich was a dear friend to myself and many many others here. We mourn his unexpected loss and will never never never forget him.

Because we do not know the exact reason for his sudden unexpected passing or what the family wishes in regards to personal expressions of sympathy and love please wait for news to come forth.

We love you Rich Roat, you made a difference.

RR1.jpg

RR2.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: In Memorium: Rich Roat @ House Industries

Sounds like he was a great person. It was a shock to me because we're the same age. Makes you think about your legacy, his sounds pretty profound.
    Weight Doper

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very sad. I met Rich at the Ballers Ride here and then saw him again at the Philly Bike Expo. He remembered me by name, which was impressive. I was struck by what a nice guy he was and how genuine it was. Not an act at all. Loved his talk on design and how they came up with new ideas for his work and for the Richard Sachs bikes and team.

The Ballers Ride above he rode with his son IIRC. Impressive ride.

Very sad indeed and far too soon. From what I observed, he left a positive impression on all he met, but I mostly am saddened by the loss of a father to his family.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sad news. World has way too few gentlemen of quality. He will be missed.
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Design world has lost a giant. Typography is a skill that doesn’t garner enough respect---he was one of the best.
    Shockingly sad news. Godspeed Rich.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As a graphic designer I'm familiar with House and was always proud they're based in Delaware.

I went to a small liberal arts school in Tennessee that had a volunteer fire department so I was charmed when I read Rich's obituary describing him as a passionate fireman among many other life activities.

Probably not the place to comment but I find the VSalon pauses awkward because it values some deaths over others. If a Salonista were killed on a ride and the Salon weren't paused for his or her remembrance I wouldn't know how to interpret that, and I'm not speaking specifically about the recent closing for Rich but just wanted to share. I don't mean this to offend but something about the freeze and the duration doesn't sit right e.g. I feel it would be more constructive to post and comment if anyone felt inspired. That way people can learn and heal together but to shut down feels cold. Of course this isn't my forum and I respect the way it is but something feels heavy handed I can't articulate why.

ps it's in memoriam

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Holliscx, I'll answer for myself because you are a good man who asked a question than I'll ask to take it offline.
    A very small group of people run this place. When we are personally affected it impacts our ability to focus on things that feel less important. It would be unfair to stop this place or abandon our attention without saying what in our lives is affecting these decisions. There is no right or wrong and your concern tells me you also care deeply when tragedy affects your life. Please, we all grieve in our own way and that is all I wish to relate.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tragic news for his family and friends.

I also had the pleasure of riding with Rich as well as 'talking shop' about design.

At work (I am in the design world), we have several House products sprinkled around the offices. I have let my teams know the sad news.

His life's work will carry on within the design community which means it will carry on throughout many industries...including the cycling community.
    Brian McLaughlin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tragic loss for sure. Rich was such a great guy. I'll fondly remember the times I had the pleasure to hang out with him.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was so sad to read this. I remember reading posts about him riding with his kids and thought that guy gets it. On a personal and professional level, my penmanship sucks and I had been in awe and envy of Richard's work. I always wanted to sing like Waylon Jennings, play the guitar like Jimmy Page and write like Richard Roat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I met Rich and his son a few years ago through Vsalon - they were riding from Seattle to Portland, and I offered our house as a first night respite. Dined with them, and I rode out with them the next morning for several miles. A gracious gentleman, his love for life was evident. He contacted me again when they'd made it to their destination in Portland, taking the back roads into the upper Columbia Gorge. He was always smiling, always positive, always making "the other guy" feel good.

Godspeed Rich.
    DT

http://www.mjolnircycles.com/

Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

"the fun outweighs the suck, and the suck hasn't killed me yet." -- chasea

"Sometimes, as good as it feels to speak out, silence is the only way to rise above the morass. The high road is generally a quiet route." -- echelon_john

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rich was a boss, friend, mentor, and riding buddy. This has been a hard week. I just wanted to share two things about Rich, one written by another friend and also former employee of House, Tal Leming: Twitter. Lastly, something I wrote: XYZ Type

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yo, I haven't been around in a while but checking in because of Rich's passing. Just had a long chat with him at D2R2 this summer and was shocked to hear the news this weekend. Gone too soon!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FWIIW the Vsalon Logo is from Rich and his design team. The short story is that he hated our lack of a good emblem and offered to come up with something. His goodness is vast and wide.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also haven't checked into the Salon in a while. Been a crazy year, but this news brought me to take a breath. Just feels like a hole for many people. I only met Rich a couple of times. Once in Philly we were setting up a booth for Richard Sachs and he had this old school mannequin that we were setting up 'just right'. I remember not being sure exactly how that 'piece of furniture' would work in a bike expo, but it was Richard's booth, so of course it did! You could detect the elegance in his 'eye' immediately, in all he did. So I feel sad. May his memory be a blessing to us all. Thanks for hosting this thread with TooTall charm Josh.

Miss you ALL. Peace.
    Joni Taylor * TEXmarket-USA * www.texmarket-usa.com
    Build to order, European Production of Cycling, Running and Triathlon Apparel

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A friend, a peer, a mentor, a guiding light. But most of all a friend.

A husband, a father, a son, and a brother. And a partner and colleague to many.

Taken too soon. Taken way too soon.

Rest In Peace Rich Roat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Had the true pleasure of meeting Rich just under a decade ago.
    My home is literally festooned with distinctive House items. They will be viewed in a different light, now.
    Best wishes for wherever you are now, Rich. Condolences to your family and dear friends.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-- so much i could say....
    when i smile from within relative to my Rich Roat..,
    the thought of "adaptation & blend in.."
    Rich was a "gentleman's gentleman..," & a common touch
    with class..

"you never realize your loss until it's no more"

ronnie with respect

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I only chatted with Rich a hand full of times and had a few behind the scenes discussions about various bike items, but we crossed paths many times. He would swim many mornings at the same YMCA I either swam at or showered at after a morning bike ride. I would know if he was there becuase his motorcycle was there.

A memorable moment for me was when we caught up to them on the Baller's ride at the top of Cubbies Climb (I think that was the climb). He was with his son and I was impressed with how the two of them were riding. It was a moment where I told myself "I hope I'm fortunate enough to have those types of moments with my son or daughter." I would later find out from him that he and his son had done quit a bit of traveling and bike touring. It was something I admired and put away in my memory.

I was shocked to hear the news....I'm still shocked. I would later find out someone I know was in the pool that morning. She also had become friends with Rich through their morning swim routines, and she also happened to be a lifeguard. Despite the chaotic scene and with a number lifeguards quickly coming to the rescue, she says the passing was peaceful. The reason was not preventable and it's a reminder that life is short. No amount of bike rides, excercising, healthy meals would have prevented this outcome. A father was lost too soon and a wife lost her rock and support.
    Will Neide (pronounced Nighty, like the thing worn to bed)

Webpage : : Flickr : : Tumblr : : Facebook
    Instagram: wilco_cycleworks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    FWIIW the Vsalon Logo is from Rich and his design team. The short story is that he hated our lack of a good emblem and offered to come up with something. His goodness is vast and wide.
    that's great josh, i didnt know that. from someone who's artistic side of the brain is dead, i've always admired folks who can come up with greatness from scratch, it's a definite gift.

sad news indeed. his family must be crushed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast