I figured some of you might get a kick out of some pictures of the Columbus MAX bike I am working on. It's been a fun project with a lot of interesting hurdles.
The first hurdle was to give these lugs a bit of personality. I wanted something clean and simple. This is going to be a race bike. No frills. And this tubeset would puke all over anything fancy anyway. That's just not its style.
Here are the lugs in raw form.
I brought them to my engraving buddy and he did this. You can also see that I started trimming up the shoreline on the head tube side of the down tube lug.
No standard cable guide would fit the contours under the BB shell. So I added some guides.
The lugs are odd to say the least. But there is a lot of room on the sides of the head lugs. But the ports aren't very long and there aren't any real points. I scratched my skull trying to figure out a way to trim these up and give them a unique look without going over the top. I drew on the lugs a bunch of different times. Finally I sketched this out and was pleased. So I ran with it.