Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: The MAX Project

Post Thanks / Like

Default The MAX Project

I figured some of you might get a kick out of some pictures of the Columbus MAX bike I am working on. It's been a fun project with a lot of interesting hurdles.

The first hurdle was to give these lugs a bit of personality. I wanted something clean and simple. This is going to be a race bike. No frills. And this tubeset would puke all over anything fancy anyway. That's just not its style.

Here are the lugs in raw form.

I brought them to my engraving buddy and he did this. You can also see that I started trimming up the shoreline on the head tube side of the down tube lug.

No standard cable guide would fit the contours under the BB shell. So I added some guides.

The lugs are odd to say the least. But there is a lot of room on the sides of the head lugs. But the ports aren't very long and there aren't any real points. I scratched my skull trying to figure out a way to trim these up and give them a unique look without going over the top. I drew on the lugs a bunch of different times. Finally I sketched this out and was pleased. So I ran with it.

Mike Zanconato
    Web
    | Instagram | Twitter | Facebook | Flickr | Tumblr

Post Thanks / Like

Default Part 2

Here are the lugs after some grinder and file love.

DT lug.

TT lug.

ST lug.

BB. I took a bunch of meat off the BB shell. I bet it lost 60 or 70 grams.

More to come...
    Mike Zanconato
    Web

Post Thanks / Like

Great minds think alike...

"It's better to not know so much than to know so many things that ain't so." -- Josh Billings, 1885

A man with any character at all must have enemies and places he is not welcome—in the end we are not only defined by our friends, but also those aligned against us.

Post Thanks / Like

awesome. it is great to see this kind of stuff. bad ass oversized stiff lugged race bikes- modern tubing, modern construction- sign me up. i want one.

jerk

Post Thanks / Like

and archi's back. this place is making me all ghey.

Post Thanks / Like

Two words

Bad A$$

Excellent I can already see that the lugs will not get lost given the tubes. Can't wait to see this and admit I'm a little envious of the result. In my world this is something I want to ride and race.

A little brain food Mike. Can you make a steel fork that compliments this rig without looking strange? I've seen some aluminum fork legs that might do the deed but that would be wrong. Not meaning to go OT am thinking of complimentary ways to seal the deal.

Post Thanks / Like

very cool mike. will the bike be for you?

Post Thanks / Like

Yo Archi, I couldn't have done it without my sweet lug vise...

Chris, nope, this is a customer bike. It'll be a tough one to ship though. It just about my size.

coach, here's the fork. Real MAX blades and a sweet Walter straight blade crown...

Mike Zanconato
    Web

Post Thanks / Like

Mon Dieu.

That is French for, GREAT FUCKIN' JOB.

Post Thanks / Like

zank- the rest of the bike max too?

c

Post Thanks / Like

I cannot wait to see more of this!

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

this is all very dope.
    shrink, terrorist, poet, president of concerned cyclists for the abolishment of bovine source bicycle parts and head of the disaffected commie dishwashers union.

Post Thanks / Like

That is one BA fork my friend!

Top 5 no question!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jerk View Post
    zank- the rest of the bike max too?

c
    Yes, even the seat stays.

Here are a couple of photos of the MAX set (on the right) next to a PegoRichie set. My only regret is not taking a couple more photos of the MAX tubes before I brazed it up.

Mike Zanconato
    Web

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I see where it got its name.

Can someone provide some more background on this tubeset? I get the impression it's no longer made, and that its heyday is about 15 years back.

It's very cool to see your step-by-step work with the lugset, Mr. Z. Those of us who've never been on the other side need to see the amount of work that goes into every last piece of metalwork. Thanks for sharing!
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm insanemo. This is going to change things. The fork is like a missing link for me. All the OS steel bikes I've seen are lacking. This seals the deal. It's a new world baby.

Post Thanks / Like

it looks like you're assembling the terminator.
    shrink, terrorist, poet, president of concerned cyclists for the abolishment of bovine source bicycle parts and head of the disaffected commie dishwashers union.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by davids View Post
    Well, I see where it got its name.

Can someone provide some more background on this tubeset? I get the impression it's no longer made, and that its heyday is about 15 years back.

It's very cool to see your step-by-step work with the lugset, Mr. Z. Those of us who've never been on the other side need to see the amount of work that goes into every last piece of metalwork. Thanks for sharing!
    The chainstays take the cake. The long axis of the oval is about 5 mm taller than a 16x30 mm oval chainstay. Here is a picture of a PegoRichie chainstay over the top of the MAX stay.

Regarding availability, it hasn't been in the Columbus catalogue in a long time. But they supposedly "uncovered" a stash in the back room. I'm not sure what to believe these days.
    Mike Zanconato
    Web

Post Thanks / Like

I'm constantly amazed by the fine,detailed and meticulous handwork you put into your frames and the constant innovations you employ. When you combine these traits with your fitting genius and your formal training as an engineer, I have to tell the world that anybody who wants a state of the art steel bicycle needs to give you a call. I can't wait for my next one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zank View Post
    The chainstays take the cake. The long axis of the oval is about 5 mm taller than a 16x30 mm oval chainstay. Here is a picture of a PegoRichie chainstay over the top of the MAX stay.

Regarding availability, it hasn't been in the Columbus catalogue in a long time. But they supposedly "uncovered" a stash in the back room. I'm not sure what to believe these days.
    It's never ~really~ gone away. Still my favorite tubeset of all time.

You need some of these dropouts to finish it....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "It's better to not know so much than to know so many things that ain't so." -- Josh Billings, 1885

A man with any character at all must have enemies and places he is not welcome—in the end we are not only defined by our friends, but also those aligned against us.