Likes Likes:  0

Thread: MAN Trip 2012

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default MAN Trip 2012

Just wrapped up our annual MAN Trip. We have been doing it for almost 10 years. Just dudes and their mountain bikes. We escape FL and head up into the mountains to rip singletrack. This year, home-base was Ellijay, GA.

Day 1 - All of Blankets Creek. What a blast. The USACE teamed up with the folks at SORBA and really put in some major improvements. Well groomed with massive bermed turns. Hard and fast.

Day 2 - Raccoon Mountain, TN. Above Chattanooga. Love Raccoon. Has it all. New trail called "Live Wire" is bada$$. Heck the whole damn place is bada$$. Came off the mountain hit the Brewhaus for a few liters of bier.

Day 3 - Hit the Pinhoti's. We did all three Pinhoti's (1,2,3) then turned around and did it backwards (3,2,1). That was a massive day. When we told the locals what we did, some thought we were nuts. We loved every minute of it.

Day 4 - Stanley Gap. Hooked up with Mike Palmeri and rode with him and some other locals. Great day with those guys. Mike and his wife Terry are salt of the earth good people. Pay them a visit at their Cartecay Bike Shop in Ellijay. They work tirelessly to build and maintain the trails up there. Terry works really hard to make sure we are able to have a good time when we are up there. We owe them for all they do. EMBA (Ellijay Mountain Bike Association) is the real deal. Kudos to all of them. They deserve a big thanks.

Only downer...the Ventana took a hit. A baby head flipped up and hit my downtube near the BB. It shook the whole bike when it hit. I was really worried at first. Sent a bunch of pics to Teresa and Sherwood at Ventana. Talked to Sherwood yesterday and he said he would ride it w/o hesitation. Good enough for me. He built it. Just a dent, no fractures in the metal. Love the Ventana. Stiff yet compliant, fast as hell, beautiful welds and craftsmanship, made in the USA.

Cheers!
    Guy

Attachment 47442

Attachment 47443

Attachment 47444

Attachment 47445

Attachment 47446

Attachment 47447

Attachment 47448

Attachment 47449

Attachment 47450
    The mountains are calling and I must go.

- John Muir

The name is Guy Fazzio

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: MAN Trip 2012

Guy
    That looks like big fun. Beautiful country, good buds, great riding,cool bikes and cold beer..

nothing wrong with that picture..

ZF
    Il vero lusso il tempo da dedicare alle proprie passioni.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes Zio, very good times. Must thank the wife for putting up with this trip, especially now that we have twins + 2. She gets it though and is one of the raddest women on this planet. Much love to the wife...

- John Muir

The name is Guy Fazzio

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HUGE bonus points for the Swamphead pint glass. Those folks rule.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EddieBirdsell View Post
    HUGE bonus points for the Swamphead pint glass. Those folks rule.
    Yes they do. When I picked up my homie in Gainesville, we subsequently paid an obligatory visit to their tasting room. Picked up some growlers. Now I am thirsty.

- John Muir

The name is Guy Fazzio

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Day 4 - Stanley Gap. Hooked up with Mike Palmeri and rode with him and some other locals. Great day with those guys. Mike and his wife Terry are salt of the earth good people. Pay them a visit at their Cartecay Bike Shop in Ellijay. They work tirelessly to build and maintain the trails up there. Terry works really hard to make sure we are able to have a good time when we are up there. We owe them for all they do. EMBA (Ellijay Mountain Bike Association) is the real deal. Kudos to all of them. They deserve a big thanks.

Mike and Terry are good folk and have dedicated countless hours that benefit cyclists who visit north Georgia.

I'll always remember Mike lusting after a Team 7/11 Merckx bike I owned back in the early 90s. They had just finished moving
    into a new location off Hiway 52. Mike had a Gary Fisher Klunker replica in the shop for 2 years. I kinda wanted it...he
    really wanted the Merckx. I asked if he wanted to trade. He looked at Terry and asked if the accounting department {her}
    could make that work. Last time I was in the shop the Merckx was still hanging near the front window. I still have the Klunker.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My buddy and I met them at a beer event in DC. They were very psyched to meet folks who had lived in the 'ville. They gifted us some coasters that are handmade from a cross-section of a cypress knee. Their Smoke Signal Porter is outstanding, one of the best beers I tasted all night.

Hey, it's Friday, go have one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by liv2bike View Post
    Day 1 - All of Blankets Creek. What a blast. [...] SORBA
    hey, i helped build that place!
    nice to hear it still shreds