Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Lotus Supreme

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Lotus Supreme

Ok this probably will show my age, as since I'm only 26 this bike is almost as old as me...

I found an old ('85???) Lotus Supreme in my size. However, the owner has no clue about the bike...and neither do I. Super Record components, Columbus DB tubing, Araya rims. Purple-ish in color. He is the original owner and knows it was a nice bike at the time, but can't speak to much beyond that.

I have never owned a bike where the brake cables come out of the top of the brake levers, and this one looks hot. Ok you're probably all laughing at me and wondering why admin let me on the salon, so please forgive me if this is an outlandish post.

The info I've found on these bikes is pretty limited, but even I can recognize the words "Super Record" as being a plus.

To pounce or not to pounce? Any info appreciated...

jb

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

all those words and not a single picture

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jb1883us View Post
    To pounce or not to pounce? Any info appreciated...

jb
    price? its an important part of the situ.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you can probably find info at classic rendezvous site. Lotus made some fine bikes and Super Record suggests this was top quality. You may be surprised how well this bike rides. Replace the Campy pads with Kool Stop salmon color for a big improvement in stopping power and enjoy your new treasure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

$275...FD is a Suntour, hubs and pedals are Record.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Buy it - Lotus bikes from the 80's were / are great rides. The Supreme was the top road bike if I remember right. I raced a Classique into the ground.

Very well built Japanese bikes - I suspect that the Sun Tour Pro Superbe FD is the original one. They didn't come with Campy.

But $275 seems steep.

Cheers!

Rob

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Lotus bikes

Lotus was the brand used to import middle to high end bikes from Japan in the 1980's.

These are typically well-built using very good tubing. They are a classy example of a UJB (ubiquitout japanse bike).

$275 seems steep? How will you ride it? Is it 5 speed or 6 speed.

The problem with some of these bikes is that you could spend another couple hundred getting it in good riding shape.

Plan on:

1) New tires (they are probably 700C, not 27")
    2) New brake pads
    3) New Chain
    4) Possible new freewheel (options are somewhat limited, but Nashbar has an OK one)
    5) Repack hubs and bottom bracket and headset - any of these bearing parts could also need replaced.

I would buy it for the frame only and not assume any of the parts would be worth much. At that point, it's probably worth $150 to $200. But if it fits and you know it fits your riding needs, $275 is not out of line.

Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great info - I'll have to check the specifics next time I stop by...

Thank you for your help!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like few of you spend any time around the classic bike collecting world. $275 is a great price. I sold my frame and fork with a really rusty BB shell for $175 7-8 years ago.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

check bikes for sale at the shops under Veloculture to see possibilities/value of neat old bikes. Check eBay for prices on Campy Super Record components. Quality friction shifting systems and single pivot brakes last almost forever with just a little care and parts are readily available for almost any normal service/repair. Now get your butt over and buy the bike today if it really is the right size.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have bought several UJB's (Universal Japanese Bikes) from the 80's over the past couple years, and I really like them.

My thinking is always that if I can get the bike, refurbish it into good riding condition, and still be at 50% of the equivalent of a new bike, I'm doing OK (and learning and having fun in the process).

$275 is maybe a bit high, but not so bad if the bike is in great shape, has been stored indoors, and has good wheels (an expensive thing to replace). There are always going to be stories about somebody picking up a used bike at a garage sale or on Craigslist for less, but you can also pay more and get something in bad condition. Depends on whether you want to go ahead and get something that fits you (assuming it fits) in good shape, or spend time trying to save another $50 or so.

I'd replace all the stuff that is mentioned in post #7 above, plus I would also replace the cables and handlebar wrap while I am at it. You're still going to be at around $500 or so for a very classy ride.

Somewhere between the Right and Left in San Francisco
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've owned two of these bikes...one in my college years and another that was bought for nostalgia a few years ago. Both were solid bikes, albeit pretty flexy by modern frame standards (in a 60cm size, anyway). One had toe-overlap, the othere didn't, which is pretty odd. Both were solid descenders.