User Tag List

Thread: A lot of work still to be done...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default A lot of work still to be done...

A lot of work still to be done.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/features...ycling-omerta/

I find Rebecca Twigg's story disheartening, partly because I have friends like her and partly because she was such a superhero.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: 2021 Road Racing Thread - Spoilers Included

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post

I find Rebecca Twigg's story disheartening, partly because I have friends like her and partly because she was such a superhero.
    +1000

finally a click through that was worth it. thanks for the link.
    am I the only Marvin?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post

This story deserves its own thread. Very worthwhile discussion without easy answers.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    This story deserves its own thread. Very worthwhile discussion without easy answers.
    Full service forum we are. Discuss!
    Last edited by j44ke; 05-01-2021 at 02:58 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I loaned her an allen wrench before a race in the early 90s. She had just finished a women's Pro/1/2 crit and her seatpost had slipped. She was in a mild panic because she wanted to ride in the men's Pro race which was lining up. The women's race was classic Twigg, she rode in the pack quietly holding her position and then went to the front in the final lap. She raced with a target on her back and knew it. I'm saddened by her situation, but I respect her attitude concerning help when so many need it.
    Weight Doper

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I read the article quickly, my mind focusing on homelessness rather than cycling and the money involved.

I got to know many homeless people in the 27 years I lived in NYC, in part because I had dogs and walked them three times a day at least, often at odd hours in any kind of weather.

A couple stand out: after 9/11 there were two men who lived at the entrance to Central Park at 86th street on the West Side. They decorated a fence next to the bench they called home with candy canes and ornaments. My daughter, three at the time, was a regular customer. We became friendly because I talk to anyone. One of the two died of hypothermia that winter. A few years later, walking with a friend who was also pushing a carriage, I ran into the other. We chatted for awhile and parted. My friend told me that I had been talking to Kramer, the real one, the guy that Seinfeld modeled the character after.

A few years ago I was in the city at a low point. Early, six or so, in the morning it was heading out for a cup of coffee and I heard a hissing sound, which turned out to be a sleeping pad deflating. A man was breaking camp in the doorway he'd spent the night. Looking at him I thought it could just as easily be me. The ATMs in the city don't give out twenties. I had just gone and only had fifties. I gave him one because that was all I had and I figured he had a better use for it than I did. We wound up talking for two and a half hours. He'd been married, two kids, house in Park Slope, two cars, the whole shebang. Had left home in Mexicali at sixteen, put himself through Fordham then the CIA- Culinary Institute. What was striking was how philosophical he was. His marriage broke up because he was a big wave surfer who would take off at the drop of a hat. This had attracted his wife until he was a parent, then it freaked her out and eventually broke up their marriage.

At any rate we became friends and stayed in touch. He had difficulty finding work because he was homeless, but eventually he landed a job as executive chef for a restaurant on Wall Street. Four months later Covid hit. He spent the last year living in an SRO on 135th St. I'd call often to check in. He dealt with it. I could not in a million years. About a month ago, having spent the year sending resumes and going to interviews, all of which began with the question of what he wanted to be paid ( "Fifteen dollars. I will do anything.") he hit the wall and asked for help. I called a friend in the city who simply said yes to my request. Ray met her the next day. She bought him a plane ticket to San Diego and gave him some money. I sent her a check.

So Ray is back in Mexicali, and I have a place to stay in Baja next year. I want to learn Spanish, ride the Divide, and hang.
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: A lot of work still to be done...

"When teams behave unscrupulously and riders are cowed into not talking about it, this starts to resemble an abusive relationship."

Starts to?

The corruption and alpha male BS in pro cycling is minimized by stories about oligarch owners and (male) prima donna riders. Now these stories about reality in the women's peloton--I really enjoy women's cycling, but it's hard for me to see where this sport has made gains as a professional, accountable enterprise over the years.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eddie B and Rebecca Twigg, never liked the smell of the olympics thing in the ATL

Lots of people made a career out of her. They know who they are....and so do we

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
    [FONT="]"When teams behave unscrupulously and riders are cowed into not talking about it, this starts to resemble an abusive relationship."

Starts to?

[/FONT]
    The corruption and alpha male BS in pro cycling is minimized by stories about oligarch owners and (male) prima donna riders. Now these stories about reality in the women's peloton--I really enjoy women's cycling, but it's hard for me to see where this sport has made gains as a professional, accountable enterprise over the years.
    Well said.
    Take care of yourself in this time of crisis and realize sadness, anger and grief are part of the process Brian Clare

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The information on Twigg has been gleaned from previously published thorough articles.

Yeah; I feel sad for her. She is intelligent, having graduated from high school at 14 or 16 I believe, and doing same at college early. That intelligence vs. age can itself cause problems or be indicative of the potential for future issues because intelligence vs. age (read: maturity and life experience) is a big factor. I'm also not sure that had she had the salary, her post-racing life would have been smooth anyway due to the above.

Clearly she has a heart as she's turned down assistance recognizing there are too many others out there she feels are more in need than her. It makes me wonder why she doesn't see her calling might be social work.

One has to wonder what kind of social services are available to Rebecca and people like her that have the potential to be contributing members of society but lack the ability to afford the resources to put them on that path.

And lastly, does the USCF/USA Cycling or procycling even have a program to help transition riders from competition to the real world?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All it takes is someone reaching out and lending a hand. I'd have no problem donating if VSalon wants to pass the cup around for her. Set an example.
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Read the article. Apparently people already offered help she had repeatidly turned down based on the idea she shouldn't get help if so many other people can't. It is a bit more complex as there is likely a lot of feelings of guilt/shame hampering any attempt of recovery.
    Last edited by sk_tle; 05-02-2021 at 08:15 AM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This article from the Seattle Times:

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...ss-in-seattle/

And an attempt to find a solution to the housing part of the equation:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...tion-1.5923854
    https://www.gofundme.com/f/toronto-t...ource=customer

One more article:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/16/w...-homeless.html

Shining a light on it helps.
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Twigg story is important, as is the second job angle, but the CN story muddled the issue with the way it tried to combine three issues. There are some jobs that require a second job to make ends meet, and this will be a disadvantage against riders paid well enough to just ride. There are people who are homeless for a range of reasons. There is a sport that doesnt manage to maintain a basic standard of financial security for the people involved, to the point where women are afraid to speak out about owners violating contracts for fear of not getting future contracts. As important as the homeless story is, the writer(s) would have served their headline issue better if theyd covered just the pay and contract issues.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A lot in this article about the women's racing world looks exactly like the men's field not that long ago. Here in the USA you'd see CX pro's, guys with a "Name" sponsor, major US wins and decent showings in Europe changing clothes and loading in and out of a tired-looking hatchback. Don't see much warm nostalgia about life in the European Continental and lower teams.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Then, of course, there's Evie Stevens, who quit a Wall St finance job to race very successfully, had the hour record for a while, then retired. Not sure what she's doing these days.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mabouya View Post
    Then, of course, there's Evie Stevens, who quit a Wall St finance job to race very successfully, had the hour record for a while, then retired. Not sure what she's doing these days.
    KKR.

https://www.kkr.com/our-firm/leadership/evelyn-stevens

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by theflashunc View Post
    Thanks - looks like she landed on her feet after cycling, although based on her life beforehand I guess that isn't terribly surprising.