0 Thread(s)

Default Lo Tech Work in a High Tech World

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Lo Tech Work in a High Tech World

Interesting article and video. I think these things come full circle though. Once a society is fed mass produced disposable junk for long enough the demand for handmade goods by craftsman increases, therefore interest in the trade follows. He maybe the last Blacksmith on Blacksmith Street, however I'm sure interest in the trade will grow in the future. Look at where we are in regards to independent tradesmen. Perhaps my view is skewed but it seems we, western countries, have seen an increase in interest and demand in recent years for small craftsmen whether that be because of the exclusivity, novelty or just a genuine appreciation of the trade and product.

Any other thoughts from those who know more about where Vietnam is economically and socially?

EDIT: Then again, I'm sure Walmart will post record sales of plastic crap from Black Friday this year. Sigh.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for sharing - the video is worth watching.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I know enough about Vietnamese and Cambodian culture that thousands of their people sneak into China to get the jobs that can't be filled for a few beans a day. We thought we had a problem with undocumented workers in M'erica. I sometimes complain about how much they expect of me and what I have to put up with at work, then you read something like that and saw "Wow". Good story on a day of Thanks in USA.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that those of us who actually make something in a world dominated by virtual products have reason to be proud.