Thread: Lichtenstein Land Shark

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Lichtenstein Land Shark

Just saw this on the landshark site

My first impression was "wow!". too flashy for me but I liked where creative minds could take this type of finish....

**edit - adding in snippet from website re: how they do the artwork transfers...

Land Shark's graphics transfer process is getting popular, and the latest Bike of the Month is a carbon road frame treated with graphics from American pop artist Roy Lichtenstein. The process has been refined since the first few versions and now the transfers are even smoother, and the colors are super vibrant.

end edit**

Your thoughts of appropriating the art of others on your bike?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by timto; 07-31-2008 at 04:22 PM. Reason: added desc of the art work transfer process

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While I like the more classic paint jobs for bikes, I can appreciate this and the Responsoriums of the world. I think they would wear on me eventually, but they are beautiful none-the-less.

I was wondering just today why Slawta isn't up there in the you have to wait until your infant is through the toddler years to get one of my bikes group. They seem really nice and he has been around forever. Wouldn't he be considered one of the masters by now? Is it because he doesn't just do steel that it somehow loses something in regards to purity?
    Last edited by Chris; 07-31-2008 at 04:17 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At their best, Slawta's "creative" paint schemes do nothing for me. At their worst, they nauseate me.

This is one of the better ones.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    While I like the more classic paint jobs for bikes, I can appreciate this and the Responsoriums of the world. I think they would wear on me eventually, but they are beautiful none-the-less.

I was wondering just today why Slawta isn't up there in the you have to wait until your infant is through the toddler years to get one of my bikes group. They seem really nice and he has been around forever. Wouldn't he be considered one of the masters by now? Is it because he doesn't just do steel that it somehow loses something in regards to purity?

Slawta builds and paints more bikes annually than just about any single builder. The guy is crazy prolific and that's why his wait time isn't too long. I think he still does steel and I'd consider him a master especially in regard to productivity.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

because slawta makes more bikes in a year than the other masters make in 4 or 5 years

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If not Lichtenstein, then who?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Goodrich View Post
    Slawta builds and paints more bikes annually than just about any single builder. The guy is crazy prolific and that's why his wait time isn't too long. I think he still does steel and I'd consider him a master especially in regard to productivity.
    Maybe it's because he isn't surfing the web and starting 150+ response threads... Now get your ass back to work, so I can have my frame by my 40th birthday!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe it's because he isn't surfing the web and starting 150+ response threads... Now get your ass back to work, so I can have my frame by my 40th birthday!
    Slawta doesn't even do e-mail

doofus

its all about brand image

slawta and sadoff are both, as far as I know, well-regarded framebuidlers who have built a ton of bikes.

but, they don't cultivate a niche -- hence the lack of cachet. they'll lug, fillet, TIG, glue, road, track, MTB, cross, downhill, whatever

in the minds of some, that makes them less desireable than less prolific or less wide-ranging builders.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

re-appropriating re-appropiated images, from low art, to high art, to decorative art. and here i thought we'd finished with post modernism.

its all just fine with me.

remember that bmw project in the early to mid 80's when they had pop artists paint their race cars?

i still think dario does it the best because it so clearly passes through his own internal filter. the Look mondrians are freaking me out in a good way too.
    shrink, terrorist, poet, president of concerned cyclists for the abolishment of bovine source bicycle parts and head of the disaffected commie dishwashers union.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is that legal to do?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does slawta do "fancy" lug work? I see his bikes as more utiliatarian. Not that there isn't craftmanship in what he does. It's just like the opposite end from, say Bayliss.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no, but either is weed... and i have a feeling... well, nevermind.
    shrink, terrorist, poet, president of concerned cyclists for the abolishment of bovine source bicycle parts and head of the disaffected commie dishwashers union.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by swoop View Post
    no, but either is weed... and i have a feeling... well, nevermind.
    not fancy like bayliss, but he does do nice lugged

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by swoop View Post
    re-appropriating re-appropiated images, from low art, to high art, to decorative art. and here i thought we'd finished with post modernism.
    Hmmm, only if Slawta were using the non-representational to evoke the non-expressible.

Otherwise, its just pop culture chop suey.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Slawta builds more before lunch than most do in a year.

serisouly, Slawta the the real deal and a great guy to boot!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and he makes a killer cutting edge top notch ef you race bike in steel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Goodrich View Post
    I see his bikes all over the place here in Los Angeles( I owned one for awhile)...

He does steel bikes (his thing is fillet brazing) and also does his own version of a carbon bike as well.

But, steel is his "thing".

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hmm...

at first glance i thought, "pegoretti".

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by crumpton View Post
    Slawta builds more before lunch than most do in a year.

serisouly, Slawta the the real deal and a great guy to boot!

He has some of the best pricing in the buisness as well. You can still get a custom steel frame and fork for around $1700.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast