User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Let's say I wanted to race in Mexico.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    left coast
    Posts
    1,342
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Let's say I wanted to race in Mexico.

    Where would I start? I was thinking this evening about potential out-of-state destinations for racing on the road (backstory: fit 23 y/o Cat 3 doing his first full season of racing with very ambitious goals that could be in tatters by April), and I thought to myself, "Why not one up that?", hence...Mexico.

    The Mexican federation website seems to be pretty useless, but my knowledge of Spanish is minimal at best. Seems the info is pretty outdated. What are some of the higher-profile amateur races this season I could participate in? The Vuelta Mexico's website is gone, plus I'm pretty sure it's a pro-only event.

    I'm shooting for something in the May timeframe, but if you've got an American race outside of the Tour of the Gila (already on the radar) to suggest, I'm all ears.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Portland OR
    Posts
    865
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Let's say I wanted to race in Mexico.

    do this us race. oh and it's driving distance from you.

    The 2011 10th Anniversary Elkhorn Classic Stage Race

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    05403
    Posts
    820
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Let's say I wanted to race in Mexico.

    Quote Originally Posted by coylifut View Post
    do this us race. oh and it's driving distance from you.

    The 2011 10th Anniversary Elkhorn Classic Stage Race
    Haha, I did that one twice. Great fun for a new racer at the time, in my childhood stomping grounds. Altitude did a number on me, but it's nice to see quaint places like Cove, and LaGrande...Beautiful part of the state, on the edge of the Great Basin edging onto the dry side.
    Start slow, then taper off.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Portland OR
    Posts
    865
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Let's say I wanted to race in Mexico.

    every cat 1/2 that's won the race has gone on to sign a domestic pro contract. best part of it, aside from the courses and racing itself, is the logistics. all stages start within a mile or so of the hotel.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Charlottesville
    Posts
    6,862
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Let's say I wanted to race in Mexico.

    IMO- you gain nothing by racing south of the border. Being only a cat3 you would receive nothing in the way of upgrade points, assuming your ambitious goals are to cat up to a 2.
    Logistics, Language, potential illness, theft, etc... are to me pretty good indicators not to go.
    when i was a junior a few accquantinces went down to race and everyone of them came back with a bug that took months/year to clear up.
    it may sound cool to your peeps that you went to Mexico to race, but ask yourself what would you truly gain from it that you wouldn't gain from traveling to another regional race like Tour of Gila, Joe Martin etc...
    "make the break"

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    352
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Let's say I wanted to race in Mexico.

    Go to Belize for the Cross-Country Classic. It's an amateur race, everyone speaks impeccable English, it's fun, you finish where you started (Belize City) and it's in late April this year. Stick around for a week of beach time and then do the Pablo Marin.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Bellingham
    Posts
    1,019
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Let's say I wanted to race in Mexico.

    IOWA. IBRA Calendar

    May 24th - 30th. See you there.

    Alternatively for May maybe Joe Martin?

    Why May though? Hold off until June and go race all 11 days of the Tour of America's Dairyland or July and race all 16 days of SuperWeek.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,510
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Let's say I wanted to race in Mexico.

    Quote Originally Posted by PJN View Post

    Why May though? Hold off until June and go race all 11 days of the Tour of America's Dairyland or July and race all 16 days of SuperWeek.
    This^^^^^^
    Falling from high places, falling through lost spaces,
    Now that we're lonely, now that there's nowhere to go.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    left coast
    Posts
    1,342
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Let's say I wanted to race in Mexico.

    Quote Originally Posted by coylifut View Post
    every cat 1/2 that's won the race has gone on to sign a domestic pro contract. best part of it, aside from the courses and racing itself, is the logistics. all stages start within a mile or so of the hotel.
    Hmmm...Elkhorn definitely looks really appealing. The elevation is a huge plus for me. I live at 4500 feet and train from there to 10000, so it's one my strong points.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chance Legstrong View Post
    IMO- you gain nothing by racing south of the border. Being only a cat3 you would receive nothing in the way of upgrade points, assuming your ambitious goals are to cat up to a 2.
    Logistics, Language, potential illness, theft, etc... are to me pretty good indicators not to go.
    when i was a junior a few accquantinces went down to race and everyone of them came back with a bug that took months/year to clear up.
    it may sound cool to your peeps that you went to Mexico to race, but ask yourself what would you truly gain from it that you wouldn't gain from traveling to another regional race like Tour of Gila, Joe Martin etc...
    Very good points. I think enough to convince me to stay away for now. I've had friends go down to train/race in Mexico and SA and had the same issues re: illness.

    Quote Originally Posted by PJN View Post
    IOWA. IBRA Calendar

    May 24th - 30th. See you there.

    Alternatively for May maybe Joe Martin?

    Why May though? Hold off until June and go race all 11 days of the Tour of America's Dairyland or July and race all 16 days of SuperWeek.
    Dairyland/Superweek are both considerations, but I feel like my strengths are in road races with mountain finishes or a lot of climbing and TTs right now. If I'm going out of state to race, I'd like to do races that I feel like I have a very good shot of winning. Gila is looking better and better in the short-term, especially since I might be able to snag a ride down and back. Some SoCal one-day races are also popping up on my radar, specifically Devil's Punchbowl and San Luis Rey. I'd do San Dimas if it were a couple more weeks out...not really a financial reality right now.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    105
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Let's say I wanted to race in Mexico.

    Dead Dog Classic. 3 Stages, 2 Days. 86 miles over Snowy Range Pass and usually a brutal headwind for the last 10 into the uphill finish. Oh yeah and 60mph descents. Then a crit followed by a windy time trial up on a ridge.

Similar Threads

  1. Ride the Divide, the New Mexico Premier
    By mimbresman in forum Events
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-21-2010, 11:15 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-25-2010, 03:31 PM
  3. post card from new mexico.
    By jerk in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 12-28-2008, 09:16 PM
  4. greetings from new mexico.
    By swoop in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-21-2008, 05:20 PM
  5. mexico is a state of mind.
    By swoop in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-19-2008, 04:43 PM

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •