User Tag List

Page 1 of 19 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's get very personal: Shoes. Cycling Shoes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Let's get very personal: Shoes. Cycling Shoes.

In my quest to replace my half size too small LG Carbon X-Lites I've been riding in for 5 years I have bought:
    - half size too small Mavic Cosmic Ultimate 1's- Which were the FINEST shoe I've ever held in my hand but not ridden.
    -Half size too big 2nd Gen Fizik R1 Uomo Non Boa- I had a pair of these and liked them for the 3 rides I did in them, just bought the wrong size this time

I resold both pairs for what I bought them for.

Now I landed upon some Bontrager RXL Road shoes in a 12 Wide. Weird, the 12 was too short but the 12 wide fit great. Possibly I have needed wide shoes to begin with and squeezing into narrow shoes was scrunching my foot and elongating my toes? Can that happen?

Anyhow- this is thems..

Bontrager RXL Road Shoes - Bird Legs Bicycles | Freedom on Wheels | Tallahassee Jacksonville Florida

They fit pretty good, but I have not heard great things about durability. I now know my size (using previous shoe sizing I was able to hunt down and measuring my foot and looking at Mondo Sizing/Japanese/CM sizing) and I really like Mavic shoes. I had a pair of Fury MTB shoes (Zxellium for MTB) and loved them.

I am debating whether or not to sell these and wait for a pair of Mavics to come around that i can afford, I would like the Cosmic Ultimate 1, or those Ksyrium Pro Boa but I have an opportunity to get a Spesh Expert Road for $140 also that fit really well from my bike sponsored store.

Thing is money constraint- I picked up the RXL's for $100 on blowout and I have a set of Keo cleats sitting at home waiting for a shoe to mount them to.

Are the bontragers decent? Should I give them a go and fuss with setting them up and then sell if they just don't feel as good on the bike as off it? Or do I just sell them and make a few bucks to get something I really want..

That is where I am at, they seem to fit well but the Bontrager reputation is off putting. I don't know Bontragers quality, I am NOT in a financial position to buy new shoes again after six months of use if these things don't hold up like a $300 shoe should.

Any experience with these? What would you do?

I know... Lots of opinions, but that's what i come here for.
    justin rogers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Let's get very personal: Shoes. Cycling Shoes.

I had the prior generation (2012?) RXL shoes. These ones: Bontrager RXL Road Shoes - Dedham Bike | Since 1932 | 781-326-1531 | Sales | Repairs

I too bought them on closeout for around $100. Used them sparingly for two years. Sparingly for me means just that -- maybe one ride every week from May to October. In about a year, the carbon sole started to peel off. I'd rather say that the substance that glues the carbon sole to the shoe upper lost its stickiness. It never became bad enough that I could not use it. nevertheless, I was a bit surprised to see it fall apart. After all, the MSRP was around $200 something I think. On the other hand, I have Sidi dominators for my mtb biking that they have taking a beating for the last 5 years and still are going strong.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't have direct experience with that model, but I just replaced a pair of Bontrager high-end MTB shoes that gave up the ghost last week after about 3-1/2 years of abuse (including many hours of trail building, not just riding). I'm a difficult fit, as my foot is not wide, but my toes splay out straight from the metatarsals -- pointed-toe shoes give me cramps, and they're pretty much ALL pointed-toes. I replaced them with a mid-upper range Shimano model, and after a few rides on them, I'm happy with the fit. But in regards to the Bontrager's, I was happy getting that kind of mileage out of them, and didn't feel like they owed me anything.
    DT

http://www.mjolnircycles.com/

Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

"the fun outweighs the suck, and the suck hasn't killed me yet." -- chasea

"Sometimes, as good as it feels to speak out, silence is the only way to rise above the morass. The high road is generally a quiet route." -- echelon_john

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For what it's worth: Bontrager is great about warranties through our shop and I would guess that it's the same at others.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bdontragers are fine but you sound unsure-
    Why not sell the Bontrager and get a set of these (If you can find your size)?
    Shimano R32 Road Cycling Shoes Size 47E | eBay
    R320 sell for pretty much nothing these days- And they are excellent shoes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by boots2000 View Post
    Great shoes. Some of my favorites ever.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used a pair of Bontrager RL shoes, basically the RXL with a lower grade carbon for 3 years. The fit was a bit off for me, but they were my first pair of cycling shoes after getting back into the sport - i.e. I didn't know what I wanted at the time. Despite the fit issue they worked fine. The tip of the strap that feeds into the ratchet broke off on both sides, but the ratchets still worked mostly ok. Overall a decent shoe for the money at RRP, and a great one at $100.

And why is Bontrager's reputation off putting? Because it's owned by Trek? Don't you have more important things to concern yourself with??

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EightySixer View Post
    Weird, the 12 was too short but the 12 wide fit great. Possibly I have needed wide shoes to begin with and squeezing into narrow shoes was scrunching my foot and elongating my toes? Can that happen?
    Absolutely. I have fit in many a non-wide shoe, especially once they have 'given' a little; but I am absolutely *always* more comfortable in a truly wide shoe.

Tried Lake? I can't recommend them enough. My 402s are the only shoe I've had for longer than 9 months - to the point where I think they're actually approaching 3yrs old now. I don't want to replace them, but when I do it'll probably be with another pair of Lakes (and the new lightweight CX301 looks ripe for a purchase anyway).

Don't forget to factor in your insole too. I ride aftermarket insoles (G8 Performance and they have made a marked difference in my foot comfort.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm partial to Lake. I have too wide feets for a number of brands and I have had mixed results with the wide version of some of them. For instance I can wear shimano "45E" but I'll never feel as comfortable as on my 4 or 5y old Lakes.

There is a spanish brand that sell sem-custom shoes that are much less expensive than other custom ones. Can't recall the name. Edit brand name is "Luck".
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    I'm partial to Lake. I have too wide feets for a number of brands and I have had mixed results with the wide version of some of them. For instance I can wear shimano "45E" but I'll never feel as comfortable as on my 4 or 5y old Lakes.

There is a spanish brand that sell sem-custom shoes that are much less expensive than other custom ones. Can't recall the name. Edit brand name is "Luck".
    Perhaps SPIUK?
    (NOT the green ones, tho! )

I'd like to try them. I've duck feet so most high-end shoes with narrow or pointy toe, they won't fit me!
    Andrea "Gattonero" Cattolico, head mechanic @Condor Cycles London

"Caron, non ti crucciare:
    vuolsi coś colà dove si puote
    cị che si vuole, e più non dimandare"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's definitely Luck

They offer more understated designs too:

And for an additionnal 200€ you can have a powermeter integrated into the soles. They presented it at eurobike this year.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The cheapest way to buy cycling shoes is to go to a shop with a very broad selection, start at the top of the lineup so you get something that will last, try different ones on until you find something that feels perfect (cycling shoes rarely feel better with use...except a LOT of use...too much to wait for), and then pay the shop whatever it is that they ask.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know of any shop that carries more than 3 shoes brand and has every size available including half sizes and wider variants.

It's like chasing a unicorn.

Besides, all decent online shop allow for a return of the goods. Don't know about US laws but in europe it is mandatory to allow a 7 days purchase retractation. In the end it is easier to buy like 25 different shoes in your size, try them at home, keep the one that fits you the best and return and get refunded for the other 24 pairs.

It may be sad but this is reality. Going to the LBS is just the most inconvenient, time consuming and expensive way to do it.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have survived through the lineage of cycling shoes from every manufacturer in existence beginning in the 70's. My first pair were leather Medalist that required nailing by hand the alloy TA cleats to the leather sole. Some shoes sucked, some sucked more. About four years ago I stumbled upon a pair of Fizik R3's. I now own five pair. I will employ them to the end. My wife has been instructed to burry me with the last still boxed pair of red ones in the event that the end keeps continuing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WFSTEKL View Post
    I have survived through the lineage of cycling shoes from every manufacturer in existence beginning in the 70's. My first pair were leather Medalist that required nailing by hand the alloy TA cleats to the leather sole. Some shoes sucked, some sucked more. About four years ago I stumbled upon a pair of Fizik R3's. I now own five pair. I will employ them to the end. My wife has been instructed to burry me with the last still boxed pair of red ones in the event that the end keeps continuing.
    My experience has been very similar. I first achieved cycling shoe nirvana with a pair of Time Equipes. When I found out that these were made by Carnac, this led me to a similar experience with them. I have been hoarding Carnac Legend and Diagonale models for a bit, whenever I see a NOS pair in my size. I had lost track a bit and when I went to put away the last pair that I got in my cabinet I saw that there were 5 others....Considering that I have a pair of Diagonales that have been in use for 25 years, I think that I just might have enough to see me through....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spend double your budget and get the Shimano R321s on sale and maybe find a coupon to go with it. You won't have to buy shoes for a few years. They even have a "wide" version if you need wider than their already slightly wide last.
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon White View Post
    Spend double your budget and get the Shimano R321s on sale and maybe find a coupon to go with it. You won't have to buy shoes for a few years. They even have a "wide" version if you need wider than their already slightly wide last.
    Listen to this guy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by boots2000 View Post
    Thats what I am thinking. Even the Shimano RP9 or RP3 (?) well, all of them really can be had really cheap and I hear awesome stuff about them.
    justin rogers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RichTheRoadie View Post
    Tried Lake? I can't recommend them enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    I'm partial to Lake.
    I'll third this. Lakes were a revelation.

Ok, maybe that's a bit strong. But they are the best fitting shoe I have found. A lot of other shoes feel good in the shop, but once on the bike, don't work out as well as originally thought. I have the Lake CX237. Feel wonderful on the bike.

I got these before finding out that a pal of mine works at MaguraUSA (distributor for Lake)...so I now have a 2nd pair, as well as a pair of MX237s coming my way.

The S-Phyres I had used an odd insole that put the arch kinda far back. That was strange to me. I'm considering grabbing a pair of the RC7s in a wide last just to see if those would feel better.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Right on. Thank you gentleman. My LBS has Shimano too. I recon with winter coming, I'll be on the CX bike mostly anyway, I'll dump these Bontragers and grab a pair of Shimano from the LBS.

Thank you all for the input.

As per the "What do you have against Bontrager, is it because it's Trek?" reply

Read the above that they all fall apart, their quality is shit and this is pretty much a universal opinion on their products. That is my gripe with Bontrager. I am not in a position to buy new shoes every season. I need something that lasts.

Thanks again gentleman.
    justin rogers.