User Tag List

Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's get very personal: Shoes. Cycling Shoes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Let's get very personal: Shoes. Cycling Shoes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RichTheRoadie View Post
    The sole isn't the stiffest, although they have told me this is done on purpose for comfort over longer Gran Fondo / Sportive rides that they believe most of their buying customers will attend. it is, however, a MASSIVE improvement over the pre-production versions I received last year (I could feel those flexing over the pedal)! Personally I don't mind this, although I wonder how I will feel after going back to my Lakes.
    Rode my Lakes yesterday. Not quite 'night & day' different (no pun intended), but they're definitely noticeably stiffer than the Quoc Nights.

It's done nothing to damped my like of the Nights, though. I'm going to ride my Quocs in the morning and see if that still holds true.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where is a good source for buying Lakes? Been looking at Bikebug just not a lot of reviews of their store.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tjk23 View Post
    Been looking at Bikebug just not a lot of reviews of their store.
    If you're talking BikeBug, I'll assume you are in Australia? If that is true, there's no reason not to buy from BikeBug. They're the retail face of the people who supplied my review pairs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you're talking BikeBug, I'll assume you are in Australia? If that is true, there's no reason not to buy from BikeBug. They're the retail face of the people who supplied my review pairs.
    In the US, just found them online.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unless you have BikeBug in the US too, I would imagine the price shipped from Australia wouldn't be competitive against buying in the US or from Europe; but I'm prepared to be corrected on that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been having trouble finding the shoe in a wide.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just sent you a PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nashbar carries Lakes fairly regularly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unless you have BikeBug in the US too, I would imagine the price shipped from Australia wouldn't be competitive against buying in the US or from Europe; but I'm prepared to be corrected on that.
    Last time I checked shipping from bikebug to Switzerland was indeed very competitive and it was one of the only online ressource carrying the wide sizing.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I stand corrected; and am quite surprised!

The carbon footprint makes me cringe a little, but I buy stuff from the UK so I'd be a hypocrite to call anyone out in it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got my Quoc Pham Night Leathers......

Enjoying fit, construction and real leather.......longevity yet to be establishEd

image.jpg

Lacing system ensures no slippage and they tuck away under an elastic bridge so no flappy.....
    The insole even has a metatarsal pad.....

They are no flyweight racing snake disco slippers with zero flex sole but, they are just what I've been seeking
    Real World persona : Andy Corso

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The best thing to do is to go down to your LBS and have them size your foot and fit a shoe to you and your needs. Just because me, or someone else has used a particular brand of shoe and we all love it, or them, doesn't mean you will, you may hate them. Shoes are more picky to find for an individual than a saddle is!

I happen to like Sidi, again not saying that's the brand you should get, but I have wide toe area and a narrow heel area and Sidi had a wide toe box shoe that fit the best, and so far they've lasted 3 full seasons and will be going into their 4th, but I'm not rough on shoes either, heck I still have my cleat shoes from 1984 and they're just fine other than a bit faded (but they probably don't make shoes to last that long anymore).

The other thing too is that once you find a shoe that fits consider getting a semi-custom foot bed from Specialized. A Specialized dealer can take a reading of your foot and suggest the right one, these make a day and night feeling of comfort over the stock shoe bed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by froze View Post
    The best thing to do is to go down to your LBS and have them size your foot and fit a shoe to you and your needs. Just because me, or someone else has used a particular brand of shoe and we all love it, or them, doesn't mean you will, you may hate them. Shoes are more picky to find for an individual than a saddle is!

I happen to like Sidi, again not saying that's the brand you should get, but I have wide toe area and a narrow heel area and Sidi had a wide toe box shoe that fit the best, and so far they've lasted 3 full seasons and will be going into their 4th, but I'm not rough on shoes either, heck I still have my cleat shoes from 1984 and they're just fine other than a bit faded (but they probably don't make shoes to last that long anymore).

The other thing too is that once you find a shoe that fits consider getting a semi-custom foot bed from Specialized. A Specialized dealer can take a reading of your foot and suggest the right one, these make a day and night feeling of comfort over the stock shoe bed.
    I definitely agree. And your post is a perfect example of why it's so hard to find shoes. I also think of myself as having a wide forefoot with a narrow heel and Sidi are so narrow to me that they could be used as torture devices. And, yet, in brands like Specialized and Shimano, I don't wear the wide versions of their shoes. The standard issue are plenty wide.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And let's throw changes in your feet and/or changes in manufacturers products to boot. Couple years back Bonts were some of the worst shoes I'd ever tried on from a fit standpoint. Now I've picked up a pair that have been absolutely phenomenal.

Maybe I'm getting platypus feet? Shoes, saddles, shorts. Not much point in recommendations given so many variations.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The best thing to do is to go down to your LBS and have them size your foot and fit a shoe to you and your needs.
    I wish this was the case. I live in a place with lots of shops and still have a hard time finding shoes that fit. Most shops don't carry full runs in multiple brands. Those foot sizing machines usually aren't effective on my feet. So even measuring and ordering the "right" size shoe often doesn't work. Zappos would be a great solution but they don't usually have much selection. To me finding shoes is just an ordeal to go through every couple of years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Waxed laces are good for keeping laced shoes snug. They are tougher to unknot sometimes, but they stay snug and don't shift. I presume they come with most laced cycling shoes?
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That brings up a good point. I always look at them and think about my regular laced shoes and how they stretch when wet.

Are most people with lace ups happy with them? They look great but I like to be able to tighten and loosen a click or two on long rides.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Waxed laces are good for keeping laced shoes snug... I presume they come with most laced cycling shoes?
    I don't recall getting waxed laces with the Giro Empires I had briefly (pre-Lake 402s, so a good 3+yrs ago now). The Quoc Nights don't come with wax laces either, but the lace system on those negates the need.

Quote Originally Posted by rec head View Post
    Are most people with lace ups happy with them? They look great but I like to be able to tighten and loosen a click or two on long rides.
    "Like to be able to", or "occasionally start too loose / over-tight and need to adjust"? Genuine question as the inference is that it's a preference, but it's often - in my experience - actually driven by necessity.

And the reason I say this is because - unless you crank the laces so tight that you absolutely need to readjust - there seems to be enough 'natural give' in a lace setup for them to be 'fit & forget'; again, in my experience.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really like the Giro Empire's I have been using (most of the time) for the last couple years. No issues with loosening or them bring too tight or too loose. That said, I do take my time lacing them up so they feel good.
    I'm going to try a pair of tech lace Giro shoes next. Has anyone tried a pair? Thoughts?