User Tag List

Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1920212223242526272829
Results 561 to 576 of 576

Thread: Let's get very personal: Shoes. Cycling Shoes.

  1. #561
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    6
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Let's get very personal: Shoes. Cycling Shoes.

    Metcon/crossfit type shoes could be an option. Weightlifting shoes would be perfect if the soles weren't so slippery.

  2. #562
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    8,499
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Let's get very personal: Shoes. Cycling Shoes.

    Quote Originally Posted by rec head View Post
    Thanks. I tried 510 before and they are too narrow.

    I should have been more specific are there any platform shoes that have BOAs or similar?
    Scott used to make some but they disappeared from the catalog. I guess the flat pedal riders want to distance themselves from the XC / roadies crowd and boa flat pedals shoes don't sell well. Also flat pedals are usually more oriented towards gravity use and boa and buckles can break really easily when crashing.

    The only one that I know of still produced are the Supplest Pro Flat. It is a Swiss brand, no idea if it is well distributed oversea:
    OFFROAD PRO FLAT PEDAL - suplest.ch

    --
    T h o m a s

  3. #563
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    2,312
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Let's get very personal: Shoes. Cycling Shoes.

    Suplest is carried by Glory cycles and they have that shoe. The toe box looks like it might be wide enough and Glory has a good return policy so I'll probably be checking them out. Thanks.

  4. #564
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    26
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Let's get very personal: Shoes. Cycling Shoes.

    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedyChix View Post
    D has very wide feet. Big toe and it all angles back from so not a lot of foot ahead of the ball. He is riding in Lake MX238 wides (coming from the no longer made Bontragers). Fit in forefoot = nice and wide. Went with the 46 (45 too short). Loose in heel so he tightens the top boa, makes his foot sore.
    What other mtb shoes are available that are as wide in the last as the Lakes?
    Sidi Mega aren't wide enough.
    It can be a lace shoe or velcro closure. Width in front with tighter heel: go
    Maybe Bont Vaypor G or XC in wide fit? Wide in the ball of foot area, quite aggressively shaped heel cups.

  5. #565
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Humboldt County
    Posts
    1,017
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Let's get very personal: Shoes. Cycling Shoes.

    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedyChix View Post
    D has very wide feet. Big toe and it all angles back from so not a lot of foot ahead of the ball. He is riding in Lake MX238 wides (coming from the no longer made Bontragers). Fit in forefoot = nice and wide. Went with the 46 (45 too short). Loose in heel so he tightens the top boa, makes his foot sore.
    What other mtb shoes are available that are as wide in the last as the Lakes?
    Sidi Mega aren't wide enough.
    It can be a lace shoe or velcro closure. Width in front with tighter heel: go
    I have similar feet, and I'm having a great experience thus far with my Luck shoes. They're a brand based in Spain that has semi-custom with no upcharge. My only caution is to assume their fit recommendations are on the small side. I went up a half size from their rep's recommendation out of caution and I'm glad I did.

  6. #566
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    2,312
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Let's get very personal: Shoes. Cycling Shoes.

    I looked into Luck. I emailed them a tracing of my foot and they said the best bet would be full custom. That's when I got my Lakes. If the heel is too loose you can cut an insole and use only the heel part under then normal insole.

    I keep these around to help get shoes to fit https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

  7. #567
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    17,747
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Let's get very personal: Shoes. Cycling Shoes.

    How much of this discussion about width is actually about volume? I find most shoes have way too much space inside but my feet arenít terribly narrow. C-width with a narrow heel. However I can easily find shoes that are the right width. I just canít snug them down on my feet.

  8. #568
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    2,113
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Let's get very personal: Shoes. Cycling Shoes.

    Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    How much of this discussion about width is actually about volume? I find most shoes have way too much space inside but my feet aren’t terribly narrow. C-width with a narrow heel. However I can easily find shoes that are the right width. I just can’t snug them down on my feet.
    i agree with the thought. for me, sidi regular width is a touch too narrow, but the mega's had too much volume and i couldnt snug them up....swapped in a set of superfeet black insoles for the stock sidi, which have a bit more volume and presto! perfect fit.

    i think in many cases a good insole is the solution, and especially with super stiff sole cycling shoes. it's surprising to see how thin and flimsy the stock insoles are in some 400+ dollar cycling shoes. worth looking into a quality insole before going on the hunt for new shoes i think for a lot of people.

  9. #569
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Laahndan town
    Posts
    2,390
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Let's get very personal: Shoes. Cycling Shoes.

    Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
    i agree with the thought. for me, sidi regular width is a touch too narrow, but the mega's had too much volume and i couldnt snug them up....swapped in a set of superfeet black insoles for the stock sidi, which have a bit more volume and presto! perfect fit.

    i think in many cases a good insole is the solution, and especially with super stiff sole cycling shoes. it's surprising to see how thin and flimsy the stock insoles are in some 400+ dollar cycling shoes. worth looking into a quality insole before going on the hunt for new shoes i think for a lot of people.
    half size in SIDIs have the same length Shoe but more volume without being Mega... they put a larger last on the same size sole.
    Real World persona : Andy Corso

  10. #570
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    2,312
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Let's get very personal: Shoes. Cycling Shoes.

    Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    How much of this discussion about width is actually about volume? I find most shoes have way too much space inside but my feet arenít terribly narrow. C-width with a narrow heel. However I can easily find shoes that are the right width. I just canít snug them down on my feet.
    I know there are a few of us discussing toe box width. I'm talking ping-pong paddle shaped feet where the heel is normal and the toes are wide. Look at a Keen shoe and you probably think that looks wide. I'm thinking "hey there is something I can cram my feet into." Because many wide shoes are wide toe to heel it does add volume that I don't need in the heel but I need every bit in the front.



  11. #571
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    3,851
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Let's get very personal: Shoes. Cycling Shoes.

    Quote Originally Posted by RichTheRoadie View Post
    Sure, happy to chime in.

    Firstly, I'll caveat this by saying I also bought the R5 Powerstrap a while ago in 43.5 - those never got used because they didn't feel right (I'm sure they would have loosened up ok, though) and I couldn't get the cleats back far enough. I bought the 43.5 because I added a bit onto their online foot measurement size chart, which it turns out you don't need to do. That was useful, though, as it meant re-measuring for the R2s gave me a sense-check; and, in hindsight, the confidence of knowing the R5s were too big and that I should size down for the R2s.

    James Huang's review was what tipped me over - lots of confidence that the shoe material would give to allow room for my foot width despite knowing that the Fizik shape wouldn't normally work for me - although I disagree with his notes about the comfort of the material and suppleness of it as I think it's up there with the most conforming material I've used.

    To answer your question, yes, these definitely have enough give in them to compete with wide Lakes and Shimanos, despite not being wide shoes. I have lived in my wide 402s (43.5) for 6yrs now. I briefly had 2 pairs of Empire SLX, but got bored of the laces - plus, after returning to my Lakes for a stint, I then found the SLXs uncomfortable, so I sold them. Despite the faff of extra coverage required in the current cold temps here, I am yet to go back to my Lakes since I got the Fiziks. On a cold day I wear the Velotoze toe cover with a woollen overshoe, but I have used just the toe cover and just the overshoe at times without discomfort. In the summer, the R2s without anything over them will be *awesome*.

    I also have a high instep so the top velcro strap doesn't pull over as much as I would like, but that's an aesthetics thing rather than an actual issue.

    The only other thing to note is that I use an aftermarket insole from G8 - but I nearly always have used these or the now-defunct e-Soles regardless of shoe.

    I wish the R2s came in another colour, but that's my only gripe!
    To follow up on this, I'm still yet to put my Lakes back on since I got my Fizik R2s. In fact, to my last point above, there is now a second colour - Movistar blue - and, despite the exchange rate having worsened meaning they'd cost me circa AU$585 (I paid around $500 for the black ones), I'm very tempted to shell out for a set. Great shoes.

    Now that things are starting to warm up over here, I'm finally wearing them without coverings. The airy nature of the shoes isn't actually always noticeable, so if there is a slight chill you can still get away with it. They excel on a hot day, though - they breathe all the time so they never warm up or feel clammy, and your feet don't seem to expand quite so much in them. On a descent on a warm day, the aeration is lovely! With really thin socks in the middle of summer these will be amazing.

  12. #572
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    17,747
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Let's get very personal: Shoes. Cycling Shoes.

    Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
    i agree with the thought. for me, sidi regular width is a touch too narrow, but the mega's had too much volume and i couldnt snug them up....swapped in a set of superfeet black insoles for the stock sidi, which have a bit more volume and presto! perfect fit.

    i think in many cases a good insole is the solution, and especially with super stiff sole cycling shoes. it's surprising to see how thin and flimsy the stock insoles are in some 400+ dollar cycling shoes. worth looking into a quality insole before going on the hunt for new shoes i think for a lot of people.
    And I agree with this. I use Giro and Specialized insoles, which are so much better than the standard communion wafer that gets slipped inside the typical cycling shoe. Still I'd really like something a bit more adjustable and plush in all the right places. But I guess that runs contrary to keeping one's foot as close as possible to the pedal spindle.
    Last edited by j44ke; 09-21-2020 at 08:24 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

    Flickr
    Books

  13. #573
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    17,747
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Let's get very personal: Shoes. Cycling Shoes.

    Quote Originally Posted by RichTheRoadie View Post
    To follow up on this, I'm still yet to put my Lakes back on since I got my Fizik R2s. In fact, to my last point above, there is now a second colour - Movistar blue - and, despite the exchange rate having worsened meaning they'd cost me circa AU$585 (I paid around $500 for the black ones), I'm very tempted to shell out for a set. Great shoes.

    Now that things are starting to warm up over here, I'm finally wearing them without coverings. The airy nature of the shoes isn't actually always noticeable, so if there is a slight chill you can still get away with it. They excel on a hot day, though - they breathe all the time so they never warm up or feel clammy, and your feet don't seem to expand quite so much in them. On a descent on a warm day, the aeration is lovely! With really thin socks in the middle of summer these will be amazing.
    I have a pair of Fizik Terra X5 shoes, and the shape is definitely right for my foot. The weight is too - 288g for an off-road shoe? The Infinito X1's are 312g per shoe. Based in the fit, I'd look at Fizik road shoes if I thought I needed a pair.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

    Flickr
    Books

  14. #574
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Carrollton TX
    Posts
    527
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Let's get very personal: Shoes. Cycling Shoes.

    Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    And I agree with this. I use Giro and Specialized insoles, which are so much better than the standard communion wafer that gets slipped inside the typical cycling shoe. Still I'd really like something a bit more adjustable and plush in all the right places. But I guess that runs contrary to keeping one's foot as close as possible to the pedal spindle.
    I've been using the Specialized insoles for years now. I started getting metatarsal pain on my left foot on long rides.

    I got out my nakiri and sliced off the "metatarsal bump".
    No more metatarsal pain ! Yay!
    Mark Walberg
    Building bike frames for fun since 1973.

  15. #575
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    the crescent city
    Posts
    1,300
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Let's get very personal: Shoes. Cycling Shoes.

    Quote Originally Posted by RichTheRoadie View Post
    To follow up on this, I'm still yet to put my Lakes back on since I got my Fizik R2s. In fact, to my last point above, there is now a second colour - Movistar blue - and, despite the exchange rate having worsened meaning they'd cost me circa AU$585 (I paid around $500 for the black ones), I'm very tempted to shell out for a set. Great shoes.

    Now that things are starting to warm up over here, I'm finally wearing them without coverings. The airy nature of the shoes isn't actually always noticeable, so if there is a slight chill you can still get away with it. They excel on a hot day, though - they breathe all the time so they never warm up or feel clammy, and your feet don't seem to expand quite so much in them. On a descent on a warm day, the aeration is lovely! With really thin socks in the middle of summer these will be amazing.
    since I was asking about the quotes above this, I'll follow up too. So I'm normally a 43 in most shoes. actually if I had a skinny foot I'd probably even be a 42.5 for length, but 43 usually works, until I ran into the S-Phyre, Bont, and Infinito all feeling too small, based on pointy-Italian-shoe syndrome which previous Shimano didn't seem to suffer from. Anyway, the 43 Fizik Infinito is plenty long, even a hair too long, but I'm really hesitant to test the gods and try the 42.5 Aeroweave. I suspect the 43 would be a little long but ample width (and I'm thinking about trying the s-phyre in wide for same reason). Any thoughts on the whole size/half size, use extra length to get more volume approach with regards to the Aeroweave (we're coming out of a brutal summer, in hot, humid Louisiana, so it really appeals to me, even more so if I can squeeze my fat forefoot in)
    am I the only Marvin?

  16. #576
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    3,851
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Let's get very personal: Shoes. Cycling Shoes.

    Quote Originally Posted by giordana93 View Post
    Anyway, the 43 Fizik Infinito is plenty long, even a hair too long, but I'm really hesitant to test the gods and try the 42.5 Aeroweave. I suspect the 43 would be a little long but ample width (and I'm thinking about trying the s-phyre in wide for same reason). Any thoughts on the whole size/half size, use extra length to get more volume approach with regards to the Aeroweave
    All I would say on this is that, length-wise, the Fizik size chart is pretty accurate.

    As mentioned before, I previously had the R5 (still have in fact - just never used them, or bothered to try too hard selling them). I added a few mm to the Fizik measurement and went with the 43.5 to make sure, but actually I didn't need to. Consequently I got the R2 Aeroweave in 43. They're perfect.

    If you need width, I wouldn't bother sizing up. If you need toe box depth (i.e. more room for your toes vertically), that might be a different matter. Mine are plenty roomy enough for me in the toe box (and I'm told I have a fat big toe), but an excess of volume at the toe isn't something I strive for.

Similar Threads

  1. Fashionable Cycling Shoes
    By Sasha in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 05-16-2012, 01:27 PM
  2. Speaking of cycling shoes
    By Disturbed in forum The OT
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 03-23-2012, 10:29 AM
  3. White cycling shoes
    By Disturbed in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 07-13-2010, 12:29 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •