User Tag List

Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 181920212223242526272829 LastLast

Thread: Let's get very personal: Shoes. Cycling Shoes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: Let's get very personal: Shoes. Cycling Shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by RichTheRoadie View Post
    I was about to buy a set of Lake 403s from BikeBug (I'm local to them, so slightly different) but they were out of stock. Impetuosity and impatience got the better of me, plus I wanted something different
    wanted to poke Rich for a little more detail on the Fizik R2 powerstrap shoe. I'm really intrigued and not just because I live in an extremely hot and humid climate. So these fit "wide" enough to compete with the Lake and Shimano wide versions? Any more info on them is appreciated before yet one more attempt at my Goldilocks shoe. I just seem perfectly in between wide and standard, and between 42.5 and 43, in every shoe I've tried over the last decade and a half. Settled on slightly bigger with aftermarket insoles for better support, but I hurt both my feet 18 months ago (plantar fascia) and at times the extra support aggravates them, as does zero support. So still on the hunt. I'm sure the s-phyres in wide would be ok, but interested in your feedback on the Fiziks
    am I the only Marvin?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by giordana93 View Post
    wanted to poke Rich for a little more detail on the Fizik R2 powerstrap shoe. I'm really intrigued and not just because I live in an extremely hot and humid climate. So these fit "wide" enough to compete with the Lake and Shimano wide versions? Any more info on them is appreciated before yet one more attempt at my Goldilocks shoe. I just seem perfectly in between wide and standard, and between 42.5 and 43, in every shoe I've tried over the last decade and a half. Settled on slightly bigger with aftermarket insoles for better support, but I hurt both my feet 18 months ago (plantar fascia) and at times the extra support aggravates them, as does zero support. So still on the hunt. I'm sure the s-phyres in wide would be ok, but interested in your feedback on the Fiziks
    Sure, happy to chime in.

Firstly, I'll caveat this by saying I also bought the R5 Powerstrap a while ago in 43.5 - those never got used because they didn't feel right (I'm sure they would have loosened up ok, though) and I couldn't get the cleats back far enough. I bought the 43.5 because I added a bit onto their online foot measurement size chart, which it turns out you don't need to do. That was useful, though, as it meant re-measuring for the R2s gave me a sense-check; and, in hindsight, the confidence of knowing the R5s were too big and that I should size down for the R2s.

James Huang's review was what tipped me over - lots of confidence that the shoe material would give to allow room for my foot width despite knowing that the Fizik shape wouldn't normally work for me - although I disagree with his notes about the comfort of the material and suppleness of it as I think it's up there with the most conforming material I've used.

To answer your question, yes, these definitely have enough give in them to compete with wide Lakes and Shimanos, despite not being wide shoes. I have lived in my wide 402s (43.5) for 6yrs now. I briefly had 2 pairs of Empire SLX, but got bored of the laces - plus, after returning to my Lakes for a stint, I then found the SLXs uncomfortable, so I sold them. Despite the faff of extra coverage required in the current cold temps here, I am yet to go back to my Lakes since I got the Fiziks. On a cold day I wear the Velotoze toe cover with a woollen overshoe, but I have used just the toe cover and just the overshoe at times without discomfort. In the summer, the R2s without anything over them will be *awesome*.

I also have a high instep so the top velcro strap doesn't pull over as much as I would like, but that's an aesthetics thing rather than an actual issue.

The only other thing to note is that I use an aftermarket insole from G8 - but I nearly always have used these or the now-defunct e-Soles regardless of shoe.

I wish the R2s came in another colour, but that's my only gripe!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RichTheRoadie View Post
    ...Despite the faff of extra coverage required in the current cold temps here...
    That's cold like a Northern hemisphere Spring day! Not cold like cold. As you were.
    Colin Mclelland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Colinmclelland View Post
    That's cold like a Northern hemisphere Spring day! Not cold like cold.
    With these shoes, that’s plenty cold enough - and it’s more like a Northern Hemisphere late autumn day...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bdaghisallo View Post
    Is there an off the shelf shoe that has a toe box that is more squared off at the end, rather than pointed? My feet are shaped like a duckís flipper and I have previuosly gone with D2 shoes but they are reaching their end. I would love to go with a shoe I can easily acquire rather than going down the custom route again.

I am thinking of something that has a toe box shaped like Keen hiking shoes.
    Bontrager is about the best main-stream brand for this, though it's not all that dramatic. Bont would be second, only due to lesser distribution (even though, last I knew, Bont was a QBP brand). I've been BEGGING Altra to make cycling shoes for years. They, so far, have not the slightest interest.
    DT

http://www.mjolnircycles.com/

Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

"the fun outweighs the suck, and the suck hasn't killed me yet." -- chasea

"Sometimes, as good as it feels to speak out, silence is the only way to rise above the morass. The high road is generally a quiet route." -- echelon_john

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is there an off the shelf shoe that has a toe box that is more squared off at the end, rather than pointed? My feet are shaped like a duckís flipper and I have previuosly gone with D2 shoes but they are reaching their end. I would love to go with a shoe I can easily acquire rather than going down the custom route again.

I am thinking of something that has a toe box shaped like Keen hiking shoes.
    I am right there with you. I have searched for exactly that, a Keen shaped real bike shoe. I think custom is the only way you are going to get it. That said I have some Lakes, I think the 237 in wide that are pretty good. They are leather and can be stretched at the toes a bit. No complaints even thought they don't look very Keen.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe?

Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by David Tollefson View Post
    Bontrager is about the best main-stream brand for this, though it's not all that dramatic. Bont would be second, only due to lesser distribution (even though, last I knew, Bont was a QBP brand). I've been BEGGING Altra to make cycling shoes for years. They, so far, have not the slightest interest.
    I will have to check Bontrager out and, luckily, we have a big Trek dealer here in Bermuda. I never even considered Bont with the hassle of getting the, to try. I go to NY often and have never been able to find a pair in any of the shops there to try on.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by giordana93 View Post
    great. another cinderella slipper to try! just when I thought to settle on the wide Shimano's. may very well take the bait. thanks for the temptation, Lucifer!
    Night Lace-Up Road Cycling Shoes | Quoc

I don't know if these are sold in the US, but I have a wide foot and these fit the best.
    It's a comfortable shoe, just not the stiffest.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will have to check Bontrager out and, luckily, we have a big Trek dealer here in Bermuda. I never even considered Bont with the hassle of getting the, to try. I go to NY often and have never been able to find a pair in any of the shops there to try on.

Thanks.
    R & A in Brooklyn used to carry Bonts, but I don't know if they carry a full range of sizes routinely.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe this has been asked but is anyone making flat pedal shoes without laces? I really don't like laces on bike shoes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anyone know what the deal is with Lake's sizing? I made the mistake of buying some CX403s in a wide, and they're way, way too wide (and long). Since I heat moulded them, I'm eating that $500 mistake, but I went ahead and ordered the CX238s which are supposed to be narrower (and in a 1/2 size smaller), and they still felt too wide, so those went back. Finally, I ordered some CX332s, and holy crap are they narrow! What gives?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by krooj View Post
    Does anyone know what the deal is with Lake's sizing? I made the mistake of buying some CX403s in a wide, and they're way, way too wide (and long). Since I heat moulded them, I'm eating that $500 mistake, but I went ahead and ordered the CX238s which are supposed to be narrower (and in a 1/2 size smaller), and they still felt too wide, so those went back. Finally, I ordered some CX332s, and holy crap are they narrow! What gives?
    krooj- I was curious about the Lake's when you posted in the Classifieds. I've been wearing first gen Fizik R1's forever and never found anything else to fit my wide across the ball, narrow at the heel, swell in the heat piggies. Just picked up another pair on Ebay, but could only find half a size smaller than my usual 44, so I may hitting the end of the road on the R1's. Tried a new pair of "powerstraps" which is a stupid euphemism for velcro, and they were terrible. They felt like something formed in an injection mold with plastic used to make the kind of trinkets you find in a gumball machine. The footbed was shaped as if the ball of a human foot was actually shaped like a ball, or maybe a grapefruit. So, I've been wanting to test some Lake's but ouch they're pricey and no dealers around here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JonSnow View Post
    krooj- I was curious about the Lake's when you posted in the Classifieds. I've been wearing first gen Fizik R1's forever and never found anything else to fit my wide across the ball, narrow at the heel, swell in the heat piggies. Just picked up another pair on Ebay, but could only find half a size smaller than my usual 44, so I may hitting the end of the road on the R1's. Tried a new pair of "powerstraps" which is a stupid euphemism for velcro, and they were terrible. They felt like something formed in an injection mold with plastic used to make the kind of trinkets you find in a gumball machine. The footbed was shaped as if the ball of a human foot was actually shaped like a ball, or maybe a grapefruit. So, I've been wanting to test some Lake's but ouch they're pricey and no dealers around here.
    Feel free to make me an offer :D

(seriously, I'm totally open to sending them out for a trial if you wanna get an idea of fit)

I'll probably have to revisit the whole shoe issue in the fall, since I'm likely gonna get a Hyprocure procedure on my left ankle to correct PTTD and heel valgus. Orthotics seem to be a band-aid and PT (1.5 years) hasn't done a goddamned thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lake's can be tricky as the have three different lasts, each in multiple widths. Am very happy with a recently purchased pair of MX 238's in a 45 Wide. However, I wasn't comfortable in the 44.5 wides that their website said was for me, they had to go back and I ordered up. My feet measure 277 mm and are 107 mm wide. The website has you add 5 mm to the actual foot length to arrive at the appropriate size shoe. My 277's + 5mm = 282's, which are right in the middle of their 44.5's (280-283 mm), but those were too snug. The 45 wides were just right! This shoe is built on their medium volume Competition last. The Sport last has higher overall volume and the Race last the lowest. The width is just right for my 107 mm wide feet, but according to their website, my size shoe in wide measures 116 mm, but it is perfect for me-using their Lake branded heat moldable insole by syksol (a $77 upgrade!). 450 miles in and they are great, bonus points for setting up the spd cleats - by sight - once, and no adjustments needed so far! (not sure that's the shoe or just pure luck?!). Ordered the now discontinued 237's and the replacement 238's for the road bike as well-these will replace about $3K in shoe 'experiments' I have at the house -Mavic Cosmic's, Shimano R-9's, LG Air Course II's, among others......
    Bikes rule!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

D has very wide feet. Big toe and it all angles back from so not a lot of foot ahead of the ball. He is riding in Lake MX238 wides (coming from the no longer made Bontragers). Fit in forefoot = nice and wide. Went with the 46 (45 too short). Loose in heel so he tightens the top boa, makes his foot sore.
    What other mtb shoes are available that are as wide in the last as the Lakes?
    Sidi Mega aren't wide enough.
    It can be a lace shoe or velcro closure. Width in front with tighter heel: go

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rec head View Post
    Maybe this has been asked but is anyone making flat pedal shoes without laces? I really don't like laces on bike shoes.
    510 has some slip-ons. I regularly wear them for short commutes. Chrome does too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks. I tried 510 before and they are too narrow.

I should have been more specific are there any platform shoes that have BOAs or similar?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rec head View Post
    Thanks. I tried 510 before and they are too narrow.

I should have been more specific are there any platform shoes that have BOAs or similar?
    You might run through the Competitive Cyclist sale listing. There are several that could be flat pedal w/boas that Iíve never seen before, but the size runs arenít complete.

Men's Mountain Bike Shoes | Competitive Cyclist

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I checked it out, thanks. You can see almost a perfect relationship of laces to flat pedals and boa/velcro to SPD. All of the SPD shoe soles have a more lugged pattern than a flat bottom so even covering the pedal area wouldn't work. This is obviously a fashion thing and I have never been too fashionable. I'll make due for now and keep my eyes out.