Thread: KVA Stainless tubing

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default KVA Stainless tubing

New stainless tube maker? KVA STAINLESS
    Based in California, claims to be suitable for bikes - anybody here have any experience or comments?
    Spec chart HERE

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: KVA Stainless tubing

Pretty sure that Paul Taylor builds with KVA. There are probably some others.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

also David Bohm if I remember well

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

KVA stainless is what Reynolds 953 is now made from. Carpenter Technology was the maker of Aermet and then supplied the tubes that Reynolds butted to make 953. After years of effort from both Carpenter and Kieth from Reynolds they parted ways and now KVA is working with Reynolds. There have been some supply issues with Reynolds and 953 but hopefully once KVA and Reynolds are all on the same page it will get back to normal. My latest run of 27.2 953 was a KVA product and it was better finish and product than the 2 or 3 previous batches from Carpenter.

My $.02

-Drew
    Drew Guldalian
    Engin Cycles
    www.engincycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can one obtain a Clydesdale type of chain stay in KVA ?

Thanks !!!!!
    The Definitive Performance Wrap
    www.HandleBra.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ahneida Ride Hide View Post
    Can one obtain a Clydesdale type of chain stay in KVA ?

Thanks !!!!!
    I purchased the round chainstays from them last year. They were a thicker guage then they are now listing. I'd call them as they should be plenty stiff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Feedback

I had a Paul Taylor built Columbus XCR bike that I put roughly 4K miles on. The bike met its demise last July against a 1999 Camaro. Paul built me a replacement bike with KVA stainless. The geometry was the same, both use(ed) SRAM Force, similar wheelset, etc. The only real difference is that Paul welded the first frame and fillet brazed the second. The old bike had an Easton EC90SL fork while I have an Edge 2.0 on the new bike. I have have roughly 500 miles on the new bike.

My first impressions of the XCR bike was that it was surprisingly stiff. Out of the saddle efforts didn't seem to flex the rear triangle at all (on a prior Ti frame I could hear the brake rub every pedal stroke on max efforts). The XCR was almost too stiff and I actually went down the route of carbon bars and a carbon post which offered some damping. It made for a great crit frame.

The KVA Stainless came in weighing slightly less (maybe 1/4 lb on the full build). It definitely seems like a more forgiving bike out of the box. I ride it interchangeably with a carbon bike and like the feel of the KVA bike better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EnginCycles View Post
    KVA stainless is what Reynolds 953 is now made from. Carpenter Technology was the maker of Aermet and then supplied the tubes that Reynolds butted to make 953. After years of effort from both Carpenter and Kieth from Reynolds they parted ways and now KVA is working with Reynolds. There have been some supply issues with Reynolds and 953 but hopefully once KVA and Reynolds are all on the same page it will get back to normal. My latest run of 27.2 953 was a KVA product and it was better finish and product than the 2 or 3 previous batches from Carpenter.

My $.02

-Drew
    Very interesting - Thanks Drew.
    I don't plan to build with 953 or similar any time soon, (or at all?), but it is interesting to hear a bit about how these things work

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Steve-O View Post
    I had a Paul Taylor built Columbus XCR bike that I put roughly 4K miles on. The bike met its demise last July against a 1999 Camaro. Paul built me a replacement bike with KVA stainless. The geometry was the same, both use(ed) SRAM Force, similar wheelset, etc. The only real difference is that Paul welded the first frame and fillet brazed the second. The old bike had an Easton EC90SL fork while I have an Edge 2.0 on the new bike. I have have roughly 500 miles on the new bike.

My first impressions of the XCR bike was that it was surprisingly stiff. Out of the saddle efforts didn't seem to flex the rear triangle at all (on a prior Ti frame I could hear the brake rub every pedal stroke on max efforts). The XCR was almost too stiff and I actually went down the route of carbon bars and a carbon post which offered some damping. It made for a great crit frame.

The KVA Stainless came in weighing slightly less (maybe 1/4 lb on the full build). It definitely seems like a more forgiving bike out of the box. I ride it interchangeably with a carbon bike and like the feel of the KVA bike better.
    What size frame do you ride? I also heard that the XCr tubeset was delivering a stiff (too stiff?) frame on smaller sizes. My 62cm is fine for me...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
    What size frame do you ride? I also heard that the XCr tubeset was delivering a stiff (too stiff?) frame on smaller sizes. My 62cm is fine for me...
    I ride a 56cm top tube. I'm 5'11" and 190 lb thus more of a sprinter build ;-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

careful
    the material type/brand does not affect rigidity
    the modulus of elacticity is the same for all measureable purposes in stainless cycle tubing
    The frame's rigidity is only affected by the physical dimensions of the material in regards to the tubing
    This means tubes sizes and wall thickness and shape. (forks and seat stays are important factors to the ride)
    Leaving aside the frame geo and tube lengths.

Stainless tubes do not offer any advantage over normal high quality tubes
    unless you live on a yacht
    or salt roads
    or never wash your bike

Mr Columbus has told me that late this year
    XCr will be available in OS sizes for lugs
    and XL for lugs
    Wish it was sooner than later as we wait, only because punters lust for stainless tubes. (I will not be polishing tubes here!)
    but supply and production has to fit to the schedules of others.
    The XCr sample I have sitting out in the weather since Jan has not changed in appearance at all, it still looks liike new from the box.
    What the fatigue life of stainless tubes will be...............................................
    wait and see eh!
    No warranty here on stainless tubes.
    Cheers Dazza
    The rock star is dying. And it's a small tragedy. Rock stars have blogs now. I have no use for that kind of rock star.
    Nick Cave

www.llewellynbikes.com
    The usual Facebook page
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/llewellyncustombicycles/
    Darrell Llewellyn McCulloch