Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Was just thinking....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Was just thinking....

...and wondering why we get so attached to certain bikes. I have owned quite a few over the years ( far less than most of you all). They have come and gone without fanfare but I have one now that I am quite attached to and there is really no reason other than it came from a friend. I have had nicer bikes setting around but given the choice I usually grab this one.Does it ride better than the others? Not really. Better parts? Nope. Contact points etc the same across the board. For whatever reason I have the one go to bike. So to you members of bike-whores-anonymous, do you have that one bike that you gravitate to for no explainable reason? I'm bored on the trainer , humor me please.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Was just thinking....

yeah
    i grab the white time

cant say why.

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    I'm bored on the trainer , humor me please.
    that's your problem atmo.
    never ride indoors.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

serotta legend i bought used from kurt across the hall.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
    that's your problem atmo.
    never ride indoors.

But it's none degrees which is fine but there is ice on the roads so that's a no go outside for me

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I grab the Merckx. Oh wait, I sold that one in a stupid attempt to simplify my life.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am the same way. I have many bikes that have come and gone, but I feel certain attachment to one in particular. It is mostly because that bike was the most fun to build, and brings back the best memories.

I would have a really hard time selling it, as I probably could never quite replace it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lavi View Post
    I grab the Merckx. Oh wait, I sold that one in a stupid attempt to simplify my life.
    Not found a bike you like as much since?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To me its all about how intuitively the bike handles. Some of them you're aware of the bike and you don't really like what you're feeling. Some of them you're aware of the bike and you pretty much do like what you're feeling. On the best ones, you're not really aware of the bike - just the ride. Those are the ones I get attached to. I've only had one like that. I still have it. I hope it always feels that way as my body continues to age. If it does, I'll stay attached to it.

-Ray

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have two bikes that I'm particularly fond of. One is an unknown vintage DeRosa Macro. As far as I can tell it it didn't really occupy a high place in the DeRosa lineup that year, and there really isn't anything worth writing home about as far as the construction of the bike. Not to say it's put together sloppy, that is. It's a basic aluminum frame with carbon seatstays, just like a million other bikes out there.

But I love it. And I love it for two reasons. 1: A very close friend just gave it to me, no questions asked, and I think selling it wouldn't be the right thing to do. 2: The geometry works for me. And it works incredibly well. I've never been more satisfied with the way I sit on a bike and the way it handles than I am with this one.

The other is a 1995 Gary Fisher Cronus. Steel. Made in the US I believe. Again it comes down to method of acquisition. A shop I worked at brought the frame in on special order for a customer that never came to collect on it (never paid for it either). 8 or 9 years later it was still hanging in the shop window, I happened to come into enough money to scoop it up, and I got myself a new 9 year old mountain bike. I built it as a singlespeed and proceeded to ride the crap out of it. I've since picked up a couple other mountain bikes and don't ride this one as often as I used to, but I don't really plan on ever getting rid of it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have two IF's that are fully built.

I came to IF for a friend of mine (more like a brother). He and his wife were having a terrible time getting pregnant. I worked with Joe to do something cool for him to help cheer him up a bit and Joe stepped up. Nothing terribly expensive, but just something personal for my pal. That meant a great deal. Spent several months just talking to a few of the IF crew. They won my unwavering loyality based on freindship not selling me a bike.

So i bought a few of their bikes, used and finally new. Loved em. Chose to sell the two I had built for me and it sucked.

My wife bought me both of the ones I have as surprises. Have bikes from a company I love bought for me by someone I love. I agree with Swoop when he says bikes are bikes, but maybe, just maybe sometimes they come to you in a manner that gives them a special something. I don't care so much if one gets a scratch, but the two I have now mean more to me then other bikes i have had in my past.
    Dave Bradley...not the grumpy old Hogwarts caretaker "Mr. Filch" or the star of American Ninja 3 and 4.

formerly "Mr.President"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i have reason for my attachment. need to sell some junk and create more attachments.

and when there's ice on the road, ride the fields/woods. call it 'cross, call it trespass, just follow richie's rule...