Thread: Jan Heine’s new book The All-Road Bike Revolution

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Jan Heine’s new book The All-Road Bike Revolution

https://outspokencyclist.com/2020/11...ember-28-2020/

Jan Heine talking about his new book; The All-Road Bike Revolution; on the Outspoken Cyclist podcast.
    rw saunders
    peace, solidarity and coffee

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Jan Heine’s new book The All-Road Bike Revolution

Just arrived Wednesday...

SPP
    My name is Peter Miller.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
    https://outspokencyclist.com/2020/11...ember-28-2020/

Jan Heine talking about his new book; The All-Road Bike Revolution; on the Outspoken Cyclist podcast.
    Thank you for this. I listened with interest. It is good to learn that I should pronounce "Heine" as a one syllable word and not in the European two syllable manner. I have had the book for a few days. Overall I am pleased to have bought it as a compilation and consolidation of Jan Heine's ideas. I feel, however, that I am already familiar with most of the content having read many articles through Bicycle Quarterly or the Compass/Rene Herse website over the past few years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Jacobs View Post
    Thank you for this. I listened with interest. It is good to learn that I should pronounce "Heine" as a one syllable word and not in the European two syllable manner.
    I would say it has more to do with native language. I would say spanish people would pronounce it with 3 syllables he-i-ne while french people would say it in one syllable without diphtong while I would assume english speaking people would say with or without the last -ne syllable and with or without the diphtong.

I think the correct way would be the way german people would say it as it is the diminutive of Heinrich.
    Last edited by sk_tle; 11-28-2020 at 02:58 PM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    I think the correct way would be the way german people would say it as it is the diminutive of Heinrich.
    The correct way to pronounce a name is the same way the one who has it pronounces it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by snotrockets View Post
    The correct way to pronounce a name is the same way the one who has it pronounces it.
    Speaking as someone who has one of those names, I have always been the expert in pronouncing it but that has never stopped anyone from lecturing me on how it should be pronounced.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last name struggles. I can relate.
    Will Neide (pronounced Nighty, like the thing worn to bed)

Webpage : : Flickr : : Tumblr : : Facebook
    Instagram: wilco_cycleworks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Will Neide View Post
    Last name struggles. I can relate.
    Ahaha! Tell me about it. It's amazing how many ways my name (both family and given names) can be butchered and mutilated.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All-Road bikes of that format are amazing; truly an epiphany from my perspective.

I almost never have a ride that's only on asphalt, never mind essentially perfect asphalt. Every ride out my front door has to involve dirt roads, sidewalks, gravel, pretty good to lousy urban asphalt and these bikes are just a wonder with all of it.

Tires like the Rene Herse 650b x 42 or 48, and 26" x 54mm make high performance and astonishingly versatile bicycles. On asphalt they're fast, comfortable and handle wonderfully. They soak up bumps and corner like nobody's business, way better than any skinny tire bike and it's glaringly obvious when cornering on rough or pock marked pavement transitions; and then they open up the world of dirt roads, gravel, asphalt millings, chip seal, and the like, not to mention all weather and day/night riding and being excellent, utilitarian transportation.

Latest frame of that genre just back from my painter, built for my Tallahassee brother, is here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/216244...in/dateposted/

It's time to start another.
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Framebuilding: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21624415@N04/sets

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A guy I know who fancies himself Parisian, but isn't even French, was cackling about how the francophone Belgians pronounce "Bruxelles" in comparison to how the French pronounce it, namely, that the French pronounce the x as an s whilst the Belgians pronounce it as an x. I looked at him and told him that it's a Belgian city so I would defer to the Belgians on how to correctly pronounce the name of their capital. He was stunned.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is a nice looking frame, Mr. Clay.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you happen across a town or other landmark out on the prairie settled by Scandinavians or Prussians/Germans with an old-world-looking name, the "wrong" way of saying it is usually the local pronunciation. And so it's also the correct pronunciation, umlauts or not.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Paging Brett Favre.......
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Related anecdote department.....An old coworker once related a story about how he was at a huge family reunion of his wife’s side of the family. His son was small at the time and prone to mischief as expected. He was in the habit of bringing his son back into line with the warning, “Do you want me to smack hiney?” He noticed that when he said it that he got some funny looks, and he assumed that maybe they were just against the helping hand as a form of discipline. After the event driving home in the car, he mentioned the reaction to his wife, and she began laughing hysterically. It turns out that a family surname was Heine, pronounced “hiney”....So some of his in-laws thought that he was going around the family reunion threatening to whip their a$$....
    "Humilis humilibus...Inflectans arroganibus....."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jclay View Post
    All-Road bikes of that format are amazing; truly an epiphany from my perspective.
    Thank you for trying to bring this thread back to the book and away from pronunciation (which I seem to have started).

The first time I rode my 650b x 42 rim brake bike I took 2 minutes off my long standing best time for the 15 mile commute to work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I normally bend my fork blades myself but I just received some from Framebuilder Supply (Portland OR) which seem ideal for building Rene Herse style low trail forks. The rake can be adjusted by cutting the required amount off each tip, depending on what offset is needed and which dropouts are being used.

https://framebuildersupply.com/colle...all-length-420

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chik View Post
    A guy I know who fancies himself Parisian, but isn't even French, was cackling about how the francophone Belgians pronounce "Bruxelles" in comparison to how the French pronounce it, namely, that the French pronounce the x as an s whilst the Belgians pronounce it as an x. I looked at him and told him that it's a Belgian city so I would defer to the Belgians on how to correctly pronounce the name of their capital. He was stunned.

That is matched by the British who decided that Milano was just too difficult to pronounce and shortened it to Milan, and Torino to Turin, and somehow decided that Firenze should be Florence.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 9tubes View Post
    That is matched by the British who decided that Milano was just too difficult to pronounce and shortened it to Milan, and Torino to Turin, and somehow decided that Firenze should be Florence.
    And my favorite, Livorno became "Leghorn"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess it's a testament to how much traction Jan's ideas have gotten that I feel like I don't really need to buy the book. Maybe he'll chime in with what constitutes the value-add for those of us already sold on the concept. Like many people who have strong opinions, he sometimes takes silly positions that are not borne out in reality, but the supple tire and allroad bike concepts he propounds are very good.

My main bike is a lightweight titanium disc bike built around 650x42 tires, currently shod in RH Babyshoe Passes. I love how I can pull it off the hook for 95% of the riding in my area and have, if not the perfect tool for the job, a very good one that lets me feel confident on a huge array of surfaces. On it, I'm capable of picking points on the map and heading out without being paralyzed by analysis of my equipment-- it just works.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Jacobs View Post
    I feel, however, that I am already familiar with most of the content having read many articles through Bicycle Quarterly or the Compass/Rene Herse website over the past few years.
    +1 on this.
    If you subscribe to BQ and read his newsletters and posts regularly this has all been covered, in some regard. But it's also very Jan to put out a printed book culminating all those issues and years into a sort of Rene Herse manual for the genre. Very on brand.
    Below Category Randonneuring Association

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast