Likes Likes:  0

Thread: it's hot, drink up!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default it's hot, drink up!

dammit. just in from a 52-miler and dropped 5 pounds. that's 3.2 percent. i effed up and was feeling it after forty. at which point i jumped into the creek and had a brewski.

it's been so cool this summer (global bs ain't working here--that or we've already fixed it) and i've been riding earlier--just hadn't gotten into pedal/drink/pedal mode.

i ate plenty, just neglected the h2o a bit.

so drink up and hammer on and drink again, and then have a drink.

pouring my beer over ice now for rehydration porpoises.:cheers::biggrin::hahaha:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did 4 hours of yard work/cleaning bikes, changing chains then went for a ride having only had breakfast about 6 hours earlier.

I didn't have a good ride. There was not a cleaner bike being ridden so slowly as there was today in Tulsa by me. Maybe the 101 temp had something to do with it.

I'll be out there tomorrow just for the ride!

best,
    E
    Last edited by Erik.Lazdins; 08-08-2009 at 08:39 PM. Reason: forgot to add the temp

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pre-hydrate (the night before, not the hour before), hydrate, post-hydrate. Watch out for cumulative electrolyte deficiency if you're riding multiple days in a row. Lately I have discovered that pre-ride consumption of a potassium rich beverage (like those green drinks (Odwalla Superfood, e.g.) that really just taste like apple juice but impress the uninitiated with my fortitude) makes a big difference on a long ride.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 1centaur View Post
    Pre-hydrate (the night before, not the hour before), hydrate, post-hydrate. Watch out for cumulative electrolyte deficiency if you're riding multiple days in a row. Lately I have discovered that pre-ride consumption of a potassium rich beverage (like those green drinks (Odwalla Superfood, e.g.) that really just taste like apple juice but impress the uninitiated with my fortitude) makes a big difference on a long ride.
    yo, i do green smoothies every morning...32oz usually. had 3 bananas on the ride, plus half a gallon of water, 12oz soda, 3 shot blocks, a handful of fig newtons, 1/2 a burger...and 2 beers (at the swim--i was cooked by then, but only 8 miles out).

my recovery drink is 2-3 bananas and tbsp cocoa powder-smoothed. but iced beer ruled today.

just one of those "first real hot ride deals" - because it's been so cool and i usually ride earlier. this was the wettest/coolest july in mid-tenn in 25 years.

think i'll do it again mon or tues-earlier and wetter.:D

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like you have potassium covered :)

Sodium, calcium, magnesium somewhat less. But my comments were to the thread title more than you specifically. I'm betting a lot of riders get less enjoyment than they should from long summer rides due to lack of hydration/electrolyte replacement, especially over multiple consecutive days.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I did 65 in NC this morning. Nice and cool at 6:30 for the first 30, but the temp was nearing 90 by the last few miles. I was starting to feel it also. Took a shower and a nap when I was done. That felt nice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it it was very moist here in n.y. no rain, just humid
    did about 70 miles in about 75 degrees and was totally soaked.
    even the footbeds in my shoes were drenched.
    i drank tons and scale only showed 1 pound less post ride.
    david corr

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WadePatton View Post
    yo, i do green smoothies every morning...32oz usually. had 3 bananas on the ride, plus half a gallon of water, 12oz soda, 3 shot blocks, a handful of fig newtons, 1/2 a burger...and 2 beers (at the swim--i was cooked by then, but only 8 miles out).

my recovery drink is 2-3 bananas and tbsp cocoa powder-smoothed. but iced beer ruled today.

just one of those "first real hot ride deals" - because it's been so cool and i usually ride earlier. this was the wettest/coolest july in mid-tenn in 25 years.

think i'll do it again mon or tues-earlier and wetter.:D
    the banana institute recommends 20 bananas a day.
    you were underbananaed for sure.
    bring some gel.

chocolate soy milk is a great recovery drink.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know why, but I was never able to race on bananas...