Thread: Ironman facts I didn't know...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Ironman facts I didn't know...

Did you know that:

- Race entry fees for an Ironman are $550?
    - Triathlete's don't really know or care about technical details about the history of cycling, European cool bikes or that bikes were once made of steel?
    - Will walk by a Parlee to see the new Fuji?
    - The only question that matters is "will it make me faster?"
    - Will race (run and cycle) in speedo's and compression socks, even if it is hot and humid?
    - Will ask the Reynolds guy if Zipp designs his wheels?

Did I mention compression socks? Any thoughts I had of ever buying compression anything went out into the wind in Hawaii. Can you say panty-hose?

I am not ripping on these folks as I was in awe of them through-out the race. But everything I thought I knew about cycling and racing was brought into question at Ironman.

I have a new Ironman cowbell to ring for cross. Bummed I missed Gloucester. But the atmo foto's are hotmo!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tri-folks are a different breed. You forgot to mention that a lot of them are really fast on the bike, albeit in which direction they are going fast at anytime is anyone's guess. I learned a long time ago to give them a wide berth when encountering one on a bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

they just don't know from bikes. i've seen so many tragic set ups. aero-bars on 4k frames set up in positions that are not only less than aero, but kill any hope of power output, and then bags of food taped to the aero shaped tubing. and how much fluid do those cats drink ona training ride... i've never seen so many bottles and co2 cartridges on display on a moving bike all at once.

is a very strange bunch. tell me any good reason why a grown man training on his bike needs to be out riding pch on a halter-top with arm warmers and bikini bottoms?

the sport has nothing to do with cycling.

we did train with some german pros last year... they were good guys and they actually *gasp* trained on road bikes and could ride....

please tell me you came back without an ironman logo tattoo?
    shrink, terrorist, poet, president of concerned cyclists for the abolishment of bovine source bicycle parts and head of the disaffected commie dishwashers union.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

- Believe fifteen seconds not spent switching into real cycling shorts will somehow "save" time over 112 miles.

- Enjoy inefficiently exposing as much skin as possible while riding.

- Train on regular roads and insist upon using dangerously silly aerobars amongst other riders! :eek:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by swoop View Post
    they just don't know from bikes. i've seen so many tragic set ups....

what do you make of this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/2008-Seven-Alari...ayphotohosting

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dave1215 View Post
    i think a sloping top tube doesn't make sense on a tt bike. by the time one is using 'airfoil' tubing i'd think it means that they are going to be consistent about the choices throughout the bike... there's no reason for that thing to slope unless its to counteract any of the gains of the downtube.

but why be logical when we all buy these things for emotional reasons.

but hey, if the geo is right it could be a fun little crit bike.

as a tt bike, lets change the fork to an oval, and put a 55 chain-ring on there with a deep rim or three spoke front.
    shrink, terrorist, poet, president of concerned cyclists for the abolishment of bovine source bicycle parts and head of the disaffected commie dishwashers union.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dave1215 View Post
    besides being ugly>?

I'll take the Deltas
    "make the break"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default kona 2006

Fast? Yea, fast
    I worked the first water stop at about mile 23...the leader and eventual winner had gone all the way out and was coming through on his way back, and still there were folks just arriving. Nothing like observing a smack-down hurt up close.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
    Fast? Yea, fast
    I worked the first water stop at about mile 23...the leader and eventual winner had gone all the way out and was coming through on his way back, and still there were folks just arriving. Nothing like observing a smack-down hurt up close.
    Norman Stadler (multi-IM Hawaii winner) used to train with T-Mobile. The sharp end of the pack is really sharp.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bless their little hearts ;) I've had a lot of fun this yr. re-fitting bikes for tri-athletes who have found me thru the new local bike shop. Who would have thought I'd have these these crazy people as customers???

My pals shop does a good business selling bikes marketed to the tri crowd. It is somewhat disappointing when they come to me....usually the bike fits however it's been jacked in ways that would make a grown man weep. It's gratifying for sure to take them out for a ride with their bikes still setup the way they came to me and begin to talk about what I see than make on the road changes and talk some more....hahaha I literally talk them back to a comfortable solution that works for their target event / training goal. Sorry to ramble...the things I've learned about fitting these folks came from a very very smart guy in PA who knows a thing or two. I'm no genius and there is no system, yah gotta drop your attitude about these folks and hear what they have to say, look at what they bring than work with it. There, I feel better ;)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Bless their little hearts ;) I've had a lot of fun this yr. re-fitting bikes for tri-athletes who have found me thru the new local bike shop. Who would have thought I'd have these these crazy people as customers???

My pals shop does a good business selling bikes marketed to the tri crowd. It is somewhat disappointing when they come to me....usually the bike fits however it's been jacked in ways that would make a grown man weep. It's gratifying for sure to take them out for a ride with their bikes still setup the way they came to me and begin to talk about what I see than make on the road changes and talk some more....hahaha I literally talk them back to a comfortable solution that works for their target event / training goal. Sorry to ramble...the things I've learned about fitting these folks came from a very very smart guy in PA who knows a thing or two. I'm no genius and there is no system, yah gotta drop your attitude about these folks and hear what they have to say, look at what they bring than work with it. There, I feel better ;)
    what color is your speedo?
    "make the break"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default i.t.u.pros ride road bikes

http://www.triathlon.org/?call=TVRBeQ==&keep=sh
    ever ride with i.t.u. pros ? some are like cat 2 imho
    cheers
    butch here are the top riders and bikes from ironman i like a pro itu race way better
    http://www.slowtwitch.com/Products/I...bikes_575.html
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Fixed; 10-15-2008 at 09:00 AM.
    I love bike racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good call Butch. Give me a short headtube, mild not wild seat tube and a slack HTA...those bikes setup nice :) Note these bikes are setup for full IM. I REALLY think most folks go off track when they try to emulate an IM setup for sprints.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is there anything more annoying than going for a group ride with a bunch of triathletes? First of all, they bring enough water to go a across the country. What's with that? Two large water bottles in the frame and then another two water bottles attached to the back of the saddle... for a three hour ride in the fall!?! And, at least once during the ride, one of those bottles on the back will eject. This would be dangerous, except nobody is riding right behind Mr. Bottle Launcher because ... Drafting? Fugedaboudit. They say they can't draft in a race, so they don't draft on a training ride. What does this mean? It means they don't push themselves at all to stay on the wheel of a stronger rider. They don't know how to push into the red zone so they don't get stronger on the bike. You have to wait for them every few miles if you want to keep the "group" in "group ride". Finally, every little hill shoots them off the back, and there you are waiting again. Let's not even discuss that most only ride once, maybe twice a week, because they also need to swim and run.

Triathlon, for many if not most, is a rationalization for mediocrity in three sports and excellence in none.
    Ron

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ron, yer killin' me. I'm sure they say the same things about us ;)
    Just for giggles I want you to go for a ride with some good triathletes preparing for an event and see if you can do some intervals with them. I have and it's brutal, really really brutal. Mixing diff. bikes in a group ride is never a comfortable situation yo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder if triathletes say the same sort of things about all the road riders who use terraplane seat stays, pop up road stems, brooks saddles, wear skin suits with a huge gut, etc etc....you know, like all the cycling experts on these bike forums... :D

I do agree that many of the AG's are not good bike handlers, but that just has to do with lack of practice. I train with a couple of IM AG's, and while they may not be able to keep a straight line as easy as me in a group, they sure are in damn good shape!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    "...Sorry to ramble...the things I've learned about fitting these folks came from a very very smart guy in PA who knows a thing or two..."
    I like that guy!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with the notion that unless you're like cat. zero or something, don't talk smack in broad strokes about triathletes. If you haven't found one or two that would ride circles around you at your next cool guy club ride than you haven't seen enough of em. If you are that good, then well, it's just poor form to bag on them.

That said I think the USAT is to blame for having all these poor bike handlers out there with ill-fitting rides. When we took our armed forces team to Europe for worlds each year almost across the board they had a tough time handing the bike leg. They were all super-conditioned and nearly pro-level here at home but just didn't 'get' the pace changes and pack-riding skills required against the ITU-based riders. It was a shame to watch them flail like amateurs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ive ridden w/ some super strong tri riders..like tt.

its a different sport, the whole outlook is different.
    its like bowling with somebody who's shooting hoops,
    there is no ground for conversation almost.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

swoop is right about the sport of triathlon having nothing to do with cycling. The bike is just a tool that they use to get from the swim to the run. Although they may have some crazy bike configurations and irrational thoughts on aerodynamics, the sport of triathlon is laughing all the way to the bank. Have you been to a local triathlon lately? I am always amazed at the number of people at these events, and how diverse the group is. Tons of women (compared to 5-10% at a road race), old peolpe, fat people, juniors, pros. The sport just keeps on growing, and I think it is pretty cool.

It presents nothing but opportunity for the (non-tri) cycling industry. We sell a dozen road bikes a week to people looking to do their first triathlon, and aside from quick tie shoelaces and a couple of pairs of goggles, our shop doesn't dabble in the world of triathlon. Many of these guys/gals come back in a year later and decide that they want to get into road racing too, or instead. No matter, they tend to be a dedicated group, and anything that gets people buying new bikes and staying on them, can only be good.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast