Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting new BMC

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Interesting new BMC

Looks kinda like the GT's of yesteryear, what was it called, "triple triangle?"

What say the smart guys in the room on what this design accomplishes that's different from more traditional framebuilding approaches? Sure is unique, if anything. I kinda liked their prior design aesthetic, at least visually. No idea how it rode though.

http://www.bikerumor.com/2009/10/20/...01/#more-10817

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

accomplishes?

brand identity.
    shrink, terrorist, poet, president of concerned cyclists for the abolishment of bovine source bicycle parts and head of the disaffected commie dishwashers union.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm the dumb kid in the corner of the room:

anytime I see a seat stay terminate so radically into the ST it makes my back and ass ache.
    "make the break"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

its been discussed somewhere here too.. the wedgebolt as seat post system is not really the ideal way to clamp a post. i find the bike difficult to look at...
    i'm sure its stiffer and more compliant and lighter.

i don't know how round tubes let folks down so much that they need to be t shaped to be more tunable. it becomes a design marketing exercise first and a bike second (to me). i appreciated the industrial designedness of the last iteration... but my eye gets hung up on the top tube gusset and the seat stays being different lines and it looks like a prop from a derrick zoolander film about future bikin. it prolly doesn't come in enough sizes either.... i can see it in an International Male catalogue along with a fishnet jersey and some epsadrilles.

but i'm all for anyone that likes it.
    shrink, terrorist, poet, president of concerned cyclists for the abolishment of bovine source bicycle parts and head of the disaffected commie dishwashers union.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh look.. it has a 73.5 degree seat tube angle in both the smallest and largest size (in every size). clearly a bike designed for a manufacturing process and then a rider.

who would build a bike for a person that's 5' 6" with the same seat tube angle, chainstay length and bb drop as the bike built for someone that's 6'3"?

swiss technology means manufacturing one rear-end/seat tube of a bike as a unit, and plugging it in to different front ends. the dropped seat stays allow for it to plug into all the different front ends and clear the top tube. that's gotta bring the manufacturing cost down...

feel me?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Swoop,

seriously you are starting to piss me off. All of your knowledge is really distracting me from buying into the new designs and hoop-lah.

Damn it I am beginning to think for myself and I do not like it!
    Dave Bradley...not the grumpy old Hogwarts caretaker "Mr. Filch" or the star of American Ninja 3 and 4.

formerly "Mr.President"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, the previous design worked for Floyd. Ouch!

http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/photo...k_bmc/dsc00703

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if you take a bell curve of men and their height... a good chunk of the 5'10" through 6' crowd will do fine on this bike and this geo by using different setback seaposts.

I think you can thank Cervelo for selling so many units with the cost savings in the manufacturing process using the same STA and rear end.. .. as rationale for other companies to follow in kind. Most folks don't even ride the thing well enough to know it doesn't serve them.

But.. its a bike business and its a manufacturing process and it all has to make a product as efficiently as possible. Its fairly trivial that the thing being made is a bike. A lot of folks will ride this thing at will will fit great. The Bell curve will work for them.

i dunno much about bikes.... critical thinking yes. bikin'... not so much.

i'm just saying this isn't logical.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The first BMC's were poorly implemented copies of Yeti Arc FSlt's back in '95.
    At least they've gotten more original since then.
    mickey.denoncourt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe more manufacturers will follow suit and build bikes like this.
    Then, there'll be that many more opportunities for custom builders.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Case in point...

I could ride the 57 based on the top tube length. But based on my knowledge of seat angles, I'd need a majorly set back seat post. This might make the top tube effectively too long, which I might have to compensate for with a shorter stem, which in turn might negatively affect the handling....

Chain reaction and shows how everything is connected to everything else.

I have, in my lifetime, found a couple of bikes which really work for me. The rest have some little aggravations.

I am not a bike designer or builder, but this one probably wouldn't work for me.

But, that's why there are many different builders and many custom makers and it's why I have a Zanconato, and not a BMC, waiting for me when I get home next week.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by swoop View Post
    if you take a bell curve of men and their height... a good chunk of the 5'10" through 6' crowd will do fine on this bike...
    Wow, that wide a range! They have EVERYBODY covered

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i see swoop's point but is the "one-size fits all" rear end criticism limited to this bike? it's a good point but bmc is certainly not the only one that does this. seems to me that it should be a criticism of modern frame manufacturing in general and it shouldn't be reserved for bmc exclusively.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a quick survey shows that most makers of top-shelf production road frames in the euro stage race tradition offer a range between 72 and 74.5/75 sta with a various of bb drop/stay lengths in the production run progression of sizes (time, look, pinarello, trek, colnago).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MIN View Post
    i see swoop's point but is the "one-size fits all" rear end criticism limited to this bike? it's a good point but bmc is certainly not the only one that does this. seems to me that it should be a criticism of modern frame manufacturing in general and it shouldn't be reserved for bmc exclusively.
    I think he also (perhaps even primarily) blamed Cervelo. They are indeed the principal culprits as far as I am aware and it is sad to see BMC follow suit. Heck, even Look has gone with increasingly steeper angles (73.75 for 56cm TT?) so I am sized out of those despite the fact I think they are nice bikes.

Pinarello and Colnago make a huge number of sizes compared to the norm (at least 14 for many models) with geometry that makes sense. Kudos to them

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the Looks have a really genius seat post.. the e post... you can dial in the sta of the bike and still have the saddle center rail. it's brilliant for a mass produced rig to rough it in and then dial it specifically for the body riding it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And it's a development that is new to this model. On the last one, the Pro Machine, about which people say many lovely things, they changed the rear end geo throughout the range of sizes.

This is a disappointing trend in frame construction.

Even the big guys, i.e. Specialized, Trek, Giant, etc., are not doing this. Yet.
    Last edited by C.Dyer; 10-20-2009 at 07:11 PM. Reason: anal retention

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

one on hand they tell you they're making the thing with the best materials that science has to offer and then on the other hand they're dumbing down the very thing that imparts the character of the bike.

obviously they have to meet the threshold of good enough and functional enough and i don't think most folks that buy bikes actually use them that much. the trend of the dumbing down of geometry... which for me is really what Cervelo has 'offered' the industry... parallels the dumbing down of the experience of riding and the skill itself.

i know molds are expensive and are only good for so many production runs... but you know, i'm no fan of elastic waistbands or sporks... and perhaps this is the way the industry is headed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fit discussion aside...

That mtb is hot. The roadie, not so much.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by swoop View Post
    feel me?
    I hear ya, but at 5'11" w/short legs and a long torso, the 50x53.5 frame with a 135mm stem and Deda Deeps would work really well for me, I'd guess.

I wouldn't want it in a tiny or giant size, but for "normal" people it'll probably work great.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast