User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0

Thread: I'll tell you what sucks.

Saab2000

Default I'll tell you what sucks.

When I started flying one of the instructors told us that we would know people who die in plane crashes. Well fuckin' a, another one just did. Just found out right now.

I didn't know him well, but just last year in Boston he was parked next to me and asked me if we could swap some catering stuff with his airplane. We did. I remember the conversation well, we talked over the radio and were looking at each other as we spoke from about 200 feet apart.

Now the fucker's dead. Sorry for the language.

Killed himself in an accidental light airplane crash in Ohio today. He was an airline pilot for Frontier.

No condolences please. It don't matter. Personally, I didn't like the guy. But it sucks anyway because he had a family and his girlfriend was critically injured in the accident. And whether or not I liked the guy doesn't matter. There are guys who don't like me. My business sucks even though airline flying is vastly safer than what he did. But we all do that flying too sometimes.

Fuck.

Not workplace friendly. Sorry for the Eff-Bombs.

Back to bikes.

But the Swiss Air Force dude who said we would know pilots who die was right. I know/knew several now. Just like if you know a cyclist who gets it riding his bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: I'll tell you what sucks.

I have had several friends die in the line of duty - including a best friend from high shcool -

Work related deaths suck. No easy way 'round that.

Just fly safe bro -

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Saab,
    My son is a navy pilot. Just 23 years old and has already lost 4 friends to flying accidents. 2 of those were very close friends. One he went through 4 years at annapolis USNA with.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah kinda different, kinda same but here's two death things that bothered me more than some--20 year HS reunion. Memorial photos of a girl I knew and a guy who was a neighbor--and nobody knows how/when they died. Must have died young. No records online.

Then I was in a local cemetery cruising stones for genealogical info and ran into a dude I know. They'd buried his teenage daughter killed in a crash the week before--I didn't know...

Sorry I know that there are folks who've lost close friends and family members on here. Just sharin'.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Saab - I have been flying aircraft since I was 14 (now 43), went to college at The United States Air Force Academy, and have been around aviation and aircraft my entire life. Your instructor, unfortunately, was absolutely correct. I too have known way too many good people that have perished in aircraft accidents/incidents, both military and general aviation, including two people I have personally known who have died on two seperate Shuttle disasters...Challenger and Columbia. I hate to say it, but it kinda goes with the territory. As a GA pilot, often flying equipment that is less than state of the art, I have learned, for survival, to minimize exposure, maximize proficiency, and manage the risks. However, sometimes stuff happens. This theology has an application in cycling as well for me. This weekend, my brother and I rode the Sunrise Century in Boulder, CO. On the return into Boulder we rode past a major accident scene. Unfortunately, I saw a mangled bike and the cyclist's legs protruding from the wreckage while responders worked on him. The next day, I read in the newpaper that the cyclist had died. It appears, from witness accounts, the cyclist misjudged the gap in traffic while trying to cross a busy highway (Hwy 36), and was struck by a Dump Truck. This intersection is known to be a very busy and dangerous intersection. In the middle of an afternoon weekend, that highway has a constant stream of vehicles travelling at highway speeds headed to Estes Park. Be careful out there, manage risks carefully, minimize your exposure and live to ride another day. Most of us aren't getting paid to ride our bikes. Don't take unnecessary risks. Be careful out there.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.