User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: If the Olympic Games can have mountain biking, why not mountain running?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: If the Olympic Games can have mountain biking, why not mountain running?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Jacobs View Post
    I am sure Kenyans and Ethiopians would do well in a mountain running event but my point is that it is possible that they would not dominate in the way they do in middle and long distance track running and marathons. If I am wrong about that then. good for them. I have been waiting for a couple of decades for an African to dominate the Tour de France and so far that has not happened.
    What I am saying is the factors in the way of success in one or another sport has little to do with ethnicity or nationality. If anything it has mostly to do with money and equality of opportunity.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: If the Olympic Games can have mountain biking, why not mountain running?

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    ... sport has little to do with ethnicity or nationality. If anything it has mostly to do with money and equality of opportunity.
    Huh?? Wishfull thinking.
    slow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by colker View Post
    Huh?? Wishfull thinking.
    If you don’t have money or equal opportunity to participate, then you don’t have access to the things that will allow you to become successfully competitive.

Got it? How is that wishful thinking? I wouldn’t wish that situation on anyone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Asking for a new competition for the very sake of trying to avoid people from a certain country or ethnicity to win it sounds really bad to me. Or is it just plain trolling and I just fell into the trap ?

By the way, I don't see many kenyans winning table-tennis, cycling or horse riding competitions so I don't even understand the need. It is not like they trust medals in every sport like some ... hum ... much bigger and better founded countries have the possibiliy to finance and support hundreds of sporting federations.
    Last edited by sk_tle; 07-28-2021 at 08:36 AM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’d love to see cricket and lacrosse return to the Olympics.

I love basketball, but I hope the 3v3 is a one a done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Break dancing in the next Olympics.

https://www.npr.org/2020/12/20/94831...c-breakdancing
    Last edited by j44ke; 07-28-2021 at 10:21 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Jacobs View Post
    I am sure Kenyans and Ethiopians would do well in a mountain running event but my point is that it is possible that they would not dominate in the way they do in middle and long distance track running and marathons. If I am wrong about that then. good for them. I have been waiting for a couple of decades for an African to dominate the Tour de France and so far that has not happened.
    I think for many Kenyan and Ethiopian athletes its a job to escape poverty. The money they can make being a top caliber marathoner or other distance runner is going to beat other opportunities. I look at the Dibaba sisters from Ethiopia or Kipochoge/Bekele in men's marathon. The money to appear at top marathons and race is too good to waste time competing in mountain running as sport. I'm sure they'd crush the top ultra distance/ mountain runners, it is just not financially interesting for them, and they can only race so much before they destroy their bodies.

Mountain running is still amateur hour compared to the marathon. If Nike, Addidas will pay a athlete running a mountain race what they pay a runner they sponsor for the marathon, all things will change. Just winning Boston is $150,000 prize money, $100,000 appearance money, $50,000 shoe company bonus, break course record $25,000.... plus once you win a major, your appearance probably ratchets. This is the incentive.

Honestly, it's Joe's versus Pro's.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    Asking for a new competition for the very sake of trying to avoid people from a certain country or ethnicity to win it sounds really bad to me. Or is it just plain trolling and I just fell into the trap ?

By the way, I don't see many kenyans winning table-tennis, cycling or horse riding competitions so I don't even understand the need. It is not like they trust medals in every sport like some ... hum ... much bigger and better founded countries have the possibiliy to finance and support hundreds of sporting federations.
    Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    I think for many Kenyan and Ethiopian athletes its a job to escape poverty. The money they can make being a top caliber marathoner or other distance runner is going to beat other opportunities. I look at the Dibaba sisters from Ethiopia or Kipochoge/Bekele in men's marathon. The money to appear at top marathons and race is too good to waste time competing in mountain running as sport. I'm sure they'd crush the top ultra distance/ mountain runners, it is just not financially interesting for them, and they can only race so much before they destroy their bodies.

Mountain running is still amateur hour compared to the marathon. If Nike, Addidas will pay a athlete running a mountain race what they pay a runner they sponsor for the marathon, all things will change. Just winning Boston is $150,000 prize money, $100,000 appearance money, $50,000 shoe company bonus, break course record $25,000.... plus once you win a major, your appearance probably ratchets. This is the incentive.

Honestly, it's Joe's versus Pro's.
    Yes, this is what I am trying to say. Thanks Thomas and V-D.

Dehydration? Something going on with my brain.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I ran the Reykjavik Marathon back when I could run it was pretty funny. There was an out-and-back spur and on the way out coming back the other way came four guys from Kenya. Then maybe five minutes later some guy from the Faroe Islands. Two or three minutes after that you started to see other people. I don't know what the prize money was because obviously that wasn't a factor for me, to put it lightly, but it was enough for them to get on a plane, run, collect their checks and get back on a plane.
    Tom Ambros

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is one of my favorite track films ever. It is the story of David Rudisha the 800m runner. I think it paints the picture correctly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    If you don’t have money or equal opportunity to participate, then you don’t have access to the things that will allow you to become successfully competitive.

Got it? How is that wishful thinking? I wouldn’t wish that situation on anyone.

Wishfull is thinking money would crush natural talent at any competition. There wasn´t a bigger athlethic power force than the old USSR. They created super athletes and yet long distance running was always won by kenyans and ethiopians. I believe ethnicity plays a big role here.
    slow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by colker View Post
    Wishfull is thinking money would crush natural talent at any competition. There wasn´t a bigger athlethic power force than the old USSR. They created super athletes and yet long distance running was always won by kenyans and ethiopians. I believe ethnicity plays a big role here.
    I think you are misusing the term "ethnicity".
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post

If it is me you are referring to, that is not what I meant to say and I apologise if that is how it came across.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Several Olympics ago, when the super swimming suits were leading to new world records every day (or maybe it just felt like it) I began wondering about a new mission for the Games that would eliminate equipment differences. Everyone qualified for an event would have access to the best gear, such as the super suit or energy-returning shoe, or no one would be able to use it. Pretty sure the USOC and its corporate partners would not agree to this, but it would be something to see.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
    Several Olympics ago, when the super swimming suits were leading to new world records every day (or maybe it just felt like it) I began wondering about a new mission for the Games that would eliminate equipment differences. Everyone qualified for an event would have access to the best gear, such as the super suit or energy-returning shoe, or no one would be able to use it. Pretty sure the USOC and its corporate partners would not agree to this, but it would be something to see.
    Why would you assume IOC is interested in fair competition and not making money? I often wonder if Pfizer, Novartis,Astrazeneca, Biogen, Regeneron, Takeda, really wanted to market 'be your best self', they could get rid of WADA for the olympics.

The only place the IOC seems to care about technology is with blade runners. They do not want a blade runner to win the Olympic 400.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

10k open water swim is on right now (the mountain running equivalent of swimming?) and the commentators are going on about the advantage of being behind another swimmer. Anyone got any experience of that - on a bike I totally get it but does water resistance change that much for the “peloton”?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kdawg View Post
    10k open water swim is on right now (the mountain running equivalent of swimming?) and the commentators are going on about the advantage of being behind another swimmer. Anyone got any experience of that - on a bike I totally get it but does water resistance change that much for the “peloton”?
    Ever see a dolphin behind a sport fishing boat? Or riding the bow wave? I am not sure what the factor improvement is for swimmers but there must be at least something, especially for fast swimmers. Just don't get kicked in the head.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    Why would you assume IOC is interested in fair competition and not making money?
    Oh, I don’t assume that at all—I just like to think about alternatives sometimes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kdawg View Post
    As someone who spent a lot of time behind others when open water swimming: yes, until they knock your goggles off it's a huge advantage. Drag in swimming is due to pressure difference from front to back (pressure drag), the formation of a wave due to breaking the surface (wave drag) and simple friction as the water flows past the surface of the swimmer (frictional drag). Pressure drag and wave drag are greatly reduced if you are in someone's slipstream

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234