Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: I9 vs CK vs DT Swiss

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default I9 vs CK vs DT Swiss

Potential new wheel build in spring.Bike will be used for road/gravel/smooth single track.Probably laced to HED Belgium C2 rims/Also will be running singlespeed but want to keep my options open so am hesitant committing to SS hub plus extra cost..Thoughts on these choices.
    Scott Altland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: I9 vs CK vs DT Swiss

On Saturday I built wheels for the same purpose you stated on Hed Belgium Plus with White Industries CLD hubs.
    My advice is all of those are great so get the ones you think look and sound most appealing to you

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A buddy had an I9 fail on the flange. Know no more than they were built professionally. They warrantied the item, but the ride was ruined. CK are noisy as hell and require regular maintenance. My DT-Swiss have been flawless. Never once skipped a beat. Slightly less quiet than 'normal' hubs but way less obnoxious than CK or even I9.

My next may well have DT-Swiss hubs or else Boyd's newish hubs. But they won't be CK or I9, that is certain.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the dtswiss hubs. They works well, parts availaibility is great worldwide as well as trained technicians and knowledge. I don't mind the noise, I don't coast that much and when I do my speed is fast enough for the wind noise to cover it.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've had three sets of I9 hubs fail (only purchased one, had them warrantied twice and gave up after the third hub failed, also on the flange). I ride aggressively but I've never had this problem with DT Swiss. I've beat the living heck out of my DT hubs and they still work flawlessly.
    "Do you want ants? Because that's how you get ants."

Instagram

Travel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It really is hard to top DT. They may not come out on top in any individual category but they win the overall battle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DT Swiss. 240's are great but don't dismiss 350's if cost is an issue. They also make a steel freehub body for increased durability if necessary.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For MTB stuff I really like I9. I haven't had the durability issues others reported, the level of engagement is great, and the loudness is a feature not a bug.

on the road my good training wheels right now feature Chris King hubs. I cracked a flange last winter and they replaced the hub under warranty. The level of care and feeding it takes to keep the freehub in good working condition is also more than a little annoying.

I used to run a set of Reynolds wheels with rebadged DTSwiss hubs for CX and Crits. I still have them actually. They were retired after cracking a rim at a crit. Anyway, the hubs were solid. The end caps got a little boogered up but the free hub mechanism never gave me issues. They were also pretty quiet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forgot to add White Industries as another option.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

My main gravel wheels have WI XMR hubs and they've seen around 4000 miles off road since last summer. Still as smooth as the day I got them. They're six bolt, don't know if I'd do that again, CLD is much easier to install, shim if needed, and I guess in theory, would make for a lighter hub. Maybe. The six bolt wheels are the standard for the caliper setup on my gravel bike. The other wheelset is CLD Boyd and I shimmed the rear wheel to match the XMR. The front was fine.
    I heart burnt bikes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those of you who've seen I9 hub flanges fail, road or MTB hubs? j-bend spokes or their straight pull alloy spokes? Do you happen to know the lacing pattern? This is the first time I'm hearing of that issue, and I've built a lot of I9 hubs over the years.

My $0.02::

DT - the 240's are a total waste of money IMO. They're nice, yes, but not nice enough to justify the cost. For what they cost you can get something made in the USA, in a color besides black, without stickers on it, with faster engagement, and just as durable. The 350's however, are a great bang for the buck hubset. Same freehub internals as the 240, no bearing hidden behind the ratchet ring (I had a customer 240 hub actually strip the threads out of the hubshell trying to get that damn thing loose to swap that bearing out.....). Engagement is slow, but that really doesn't matter for a road/gravel bike.

I9 - light, LOUD, lotsa color choices, fast engagement. I like them. Really easy to change axles.

King - They're really not that loud IMO, certainly compared to others like Hope or I9. King is only loud if Shimano and Campy hubs are your point of reference I guess. The adjustable bearings are cool 'cause you can dial them in *just* right, but, they can also go out of adjustment, so it's one more thing to keep an eye on. Special tools required for a full overhaul. Swapping axles isn't terribly easy, and everything cost extra/more. But they're the only folks making their own bearings.

White Industries - I'm a fan, it's what I'm using on my gravel and road bike. IMO they're kinda the sweet spot in weight, cost, durability. Very low drag when coasting, pretty quiet, durable titanium freehub body. Every hole count, axle standard, and freehub body combination available. Plus, the polished silver is prettttty!

Last edited by dgaddis; 07-18-2018 at 08:34 AM.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have 3 sets of wheels built with the HED C2 rims. None are disc brake but each set has a different hub. 1 Chris King R45, 1 DT Swiss 240, and 1 White Industry. I built each set myself and honestly think the biggest difference between the 3 of them is aesthetics and the sound they make coasting. If I had to choose I would pick the White Industry for the Ti freehub.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DT Swiss is a good solid choice.

What about Campy Record hubs? If the Record hubs are as good as the hubs used for Bora wheels, nothing better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sine View Post
    DT Swiss is a good solid choice.

What about Campy Record hubs? If the Record hubs are as good as the hubs used for Bora wheels, nothing better.
    Flange geometry isn't great, Campy freehub only, 32H only, and no disc brake option if he's doing discs.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Am I the only person who doesn't like loud freehubs? Take a bike that is about (for me at least) being outside and enjoying the surroundings and put a chainsaw on it.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post

DT - For what they cost you can get something made in the USA, in a color besides black, without stickers on it, with faster engagement, and just as durable. The 350's however, are a great bang for the buck hubset.
    The stickers are the best part. They come right off and you have a perfectly black no logo hub. I don't know why anyone keeps them on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Am I the only person who doesn't like loud freehubs? Take a bike that is about (for me at least) being outside and enjoying the surroundings and put a chainsaw on it.
    You're definitely not the only one. But there are advantages to a noisy freehub if you're riding around other people, like multi use greeneways, or MTB trails. They let folks know you're coming up behind them, and hearing one coming up behind you isn't as 'alarming' as suddenly out of nowhere hearing 'HELLO' right behind you, or a bell.

Funny story - a Weds night MTB ride in Augusta from Andy Jordan's Bicycle Warehouse. Weekly ride. Mr. Nate Zukas joined us one night (he's usually busy building frames). He's got Hope hubs, they're pretty loud. His light kinda sucked, I had two pretty good lights, so he rode behind me.

I've ridden that trail *hundreds* of times. I've raced it dozens of times. That night, in the dark, on my single speed (it's flat and super twisty, gears let you go faster in the few straights, the SS is a disadvantage), I turned my 2nd fastest lap ever. I was trying to drop Nate. I knew this was a silly goal, he's fitter than I am, and has better bike handling skills. But it was still fun to try.

He was right on my wheel the whole lap, and with that loud Hope hub I knew when he was pedaling and when he wasn't.

I was riding HARD, that 'I'm either gonna puke or pass out or die' kinda hard. I swear, it seemed like he was coasting the whole damn lap.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by saltland View Post
    Potential new wheel build in spring.Bike will be used for road/gravel/smooth single track.Probably laced to HED Belgium C2 rims/Also will be running singlespeed but want to keep my options open so am hesitant committing to SS hub plus extra cost..Thoughts on these choices.
    Scott Altland
    Have had great success with Chris King products over the years - many hubs, all good. if you are alternating between singlespeed and geared, I would lean CK as I have heard their freehub bodies are more durable
    for cogs biting in and stuff but don't know if true. While I like loud freehubs, I also agree with Dustin that for safety's sake they are better. The bee sound is good. Builds excitement to pedal more.

Have a set of WI right now, too, and they are, so far, so good.

As has been mentioned whatever color and sound is good will probably be good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any hub mentioned should be fine set up SS as long as you use a cog with a wide base, like the Surly cogs.

As for freehub durability, White Industries and their titanium freehubs get the win there. I've seen plenty of King hubs w/gouges from the cassette in them, but any aluminum freehub body will do that to some extent (even the titanium freehubs do it a bit), and most don't get worse after the initial gouging. Just hit them with a file to knock the high spots off and carry on.

Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'd go DT with steel freehub body (350s, though, not 240 for reason the other Dustin mentioned) or White. i've got plenty of experience with all hubs mentioned, except I9s, and i always end up going back to White.
    -Dustin