Thread: I was right when I was wrong

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default I was right when I was wrong

I recently noticed a weird thing.
    When I started cycling I was naive and did thing the way I did because I did not know better.
    I filled my bottle with water, had no computer on my handlebar, didn't know that a high end bike or super duper wheels would improve my speed, didn't know that one could want a custom frame size, etc.

Then I started reading, listening, and I learned many things.

Now, after several years I know even better and, looking back, right now I'm doing things almost the same way I did at the beginning. No more watt-measuring heart-listening km-counting gizmo on the handlebar, water in the bottle, 32 spokes open pros, etc. etc.

I may just have skipped all the "learning" phase!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are musician's boards such as 'harmony central' and 'the gear page' where guitar/bass players discuss about the electric musical equipments where everyone seeks out the latest and the greatest holy grail (often beyond reason expensive) boutique hand wired tube amps, retro analog sound effect boxes. the hot modification schematics/how-tos, some weird rare USSR made capacitors or such etc etc.

The very same phenomenon you are experiencing is often observed and discussed by the members after a while... that once they quit visiting the sites to hear about the latest and greatest they realized they didn't miss anything... that all that was for naught and went back to appreciate the simple basics.

err.. not that I'm suggesting the unthinkable To quote Nelson Algren, "Road is all, End is nothing." Did ya have fun and enjoy learning all that? It's highly addictive.
    "Aesthetics is for artists what ornithology is for birds." Barnett Newman

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are A-OK Frenk I don't care what anyone says. Stay Swiss or whatever the heck it is you are but stay the same.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just recently got a modern bike, read STI shifters. As some people I ride with have joked, I have jumped up at least three generations in bicycle technology and have dropped at least five pounds of bike weight. I love my new super modern bike. But the the computer has been gone since the summer, and I've always prefered water in my bottles. I really don't care for the sticky stuff that taste so good that I want to drink it all at once either. I do want to build up a set of wheels when I get some more money though. Probably with 28 spokes instead of 32 though. Or maybe 28 front 32 rear. Dura Ace hubs laced to either DT Swiss or some Open Pros. Or if I go totally wonky to some Nemesis tubulars.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i look at my watch when i start, and again when i'm done. if someone is with me-i ask "how far was that?". if not _and_ i'd like to find out, i pull up a mappingi program (brt) and backtrack meself. love those climbing stats and profiles.

that's how i do it mostly and there"s a garmin around here somewhere. i use it if i'm looking for hr data.

quit the flavors when i got tired of scrubbing the concrete-like dribbles offa good paint.

32x open pro--for folks who want to ride.

truss: five pounds? well then you must surely be applying the brakes to keep from sailing off the road as you crest your climbs. if the hype is true. enjoy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

non-water confuses me. I'll never see drinking food unless it is a beer.
    I write for daily serving

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's not so incredible when you compare the two bikes. One a size 58 '89 Trek 2000 bonded aluminum with Sun Tour GPX six speed riding on equally ancient 32 spoke handbuilts. Not totally sure of the weight but it has to be around 21 lbs. The second a size 57 '10 Orbea Opal with 7900 and Krysium SLs that built up to 15.3 lbs before pedal and cages. Probably around 16 or so with. And yes I was one of the stronger guys around on the group rides with the old Trek so the new bike has given me added pressure to truly perform this year. The new bike is a rocket though. I can't believe how fortunate I am to have it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Say what you might, I long for a set of decent factory built wheels and a power meter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

we can party.
    you get to a point where you realize the answers aren't in the machine.
    shrink, terrorist, poet, president of concerned cyclists for the abolishment of bovine source bicycle parts and head of the disaffected commie dishwashers union.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More to the point, the bike isn't the ride, the ride is the ride.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by swoop View Post
    we can party.
    Then you get to a point when you realize there are no answers. Then you get to a point where you realize there are no questions. Then you get to a point where you realize that your brain may be incapable of realizing anything that is real. Then you start riding slower.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Then you're worm food.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

we can party.
    That is almost a Zen exercise for the guys on the cheap bikes : "the guy on the carbon SR 11 bike says "the answers are not in the machine".

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

we can party.

does this mean u took the garmin 699 with cadence kit off the speedvagen?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We were older then.
    We are younger than that now.