0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default i know we've all seen the photo

well, here are the close-ups:

KirkLee Custom 650 - Di2 & Lightweights | Facebook

here's a blog post about it:

KirkLee Custom 650 Di2 & Lightweights

How does KirkLee top a 20-inch bike? Build a 650c bike Shimano Di2 Dura Ace and Lightweight wheels. This bike was built for speed coming in at 12 lbs. Special attention was paid to allow for easy shifting while racing utilizing Di2 button shifters on the handlebar top. It's always a fun challenge to build unique bikes like this one.
    I'll be honest...I was pretty well at a loss for words before, but now...knowing that it was built for speed...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: i know we've all seen the photo

I said it before too...if you have the dough, whats the big deal? in fact one could argue its more economic ot have great parts and just keep moving them on to new frames.

Once Di2 (or similar) comes down to ultegra/chorus pricing levels, i would have no problem buying a grouppo for my kid. or wife. shifting is one of the hardest things for people with small hands. my kid has a difficult time shifting the chainrings on her road bike at 5mph, let alone 15mph (small hand can't easily throw the lever the required arc). electronic shifting would be eaiser and safer for her. she can really ride , so I'd definitely find the dough - did a 3.3 mile / 1300' climb at age 9...amd passed a coupla adults while she was at it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is this a joke? when I first saw this photo, I thought it was a joke but then these high gloss photos on the website...does lightweight build any wheelsets with attached training wheels?

In reality, I'm just jealous of their pimped out bike and for all I know that kid is probably faster than me. I was still rocking the huffy with coaster brakes at that size.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That still doesn't quite explain the full cycling wear clad 6 year old girl with TT helmet in that starting line along the other girls in normal children's play clothes on their toy bikes to my satisfaction.

But then again that's kinda sorta the same thing only different to try preaching civility by blocking someone who wants to drive fast way over posted speed limit around you... all you know is the person might have a severed arm trying to get to an emergency room ASAP to save his arm. You just can't know all things and all possibilities. If you think you can there's job opening for know-it-alls up there.
    "Aesthetics is for artists what ornithology is for birds." Barnett Newman

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Faster backwards.

-Eric

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That kid is going to have a complex of some sort if her parents are taking the one lap kiddie race this seriously already. Imagine if/when she doesn't win. I can see it now, he parents will be screaming at her about how she didn't want it bad enough while she's throwing a tantrum and stomping on those wheels. By fourteen she will be anorexic and seeking attention from perverted older cyclists who build up her self esteem by telling her how hot her bike is. That cute kid second in might not win this race but she'll win in the long run. If you've got that kind of scratch, why not buy your kid a bike made for fun?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder if sacha would let me put my unborn baby girl due in Feb on the Vanilla waitlist? that way maybe by the time she's five or six she can get a sweet ride like the one above? custom kids bikes seem like a pretty tough moving target size wise.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It takes me several months to earn what that bike cost. I had a Schwinn Typhoon at that age.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"But then again that's kinda sorta the same thing only different to try preaching civility by blocking someone who wants to drive fast way over posted speed limit around you... all you know is the person might have a severed arm trying to get to an emergency room ASAP to save his arm. You just can't know all things and all possibilities. If you think you can there's job opening for know-it-alls up there."

if you haven't, check out the address that David Foster Wallace gave to the Kenyon graduating class of like 2005 or so - now published as a short book entitled "This Is Water: Some Thoughts, Delivered on a Significant Occasion, about Living a Compassionate Life". Makes your point, and then some, in a beautiful and striking way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dig this
    John Cobb is in the wind tunnel at Texas A&M as I type this. He normally rents it a few times a year and will fit a rider, typically a Tri to his bike to achieve the most aero efficient position. He charges IIRC $1500 for this service. He has performed this service for some of the top pros in the world, both road and tri.
    This week his list of clients include a 7 and a 9 year old. Could one of them be the same kid???

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wheeeeee!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

7 and 9 yr old? proves ( once again ) that there are idiots out there. they should be doing this testing when the child is 2. that way they can be all set when a big race like the one in the picture comes along.

Quote Originally Posted by fc356 View Post
    Dig this
    John Cobb is in the wind tunnel at Texas A&M as I type this. He normally rents it a few times a year and will fit a rider, typically a Tri to his bike to achieve the most aero efficient position. He charges IIRC $1500 for this service. He has performed this service for some of the top pros in the world, both road and tri.
    This week his list of clients include a 7 and a 9 year old. Could one of them be the same kid???
    Last edited by SteveP; 10-11-2010 at 01:47 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
    wheeeeee!

I'm almost amazed that this doesn't have a set of zipp 808's on it.....
    "I think I know what military fame is; to be killed on the field of battle and have your name misspelled in the newspapers."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by marcelia View Post
    "But then again that's kinda sorta the same thing only different to try preaching civility by blocking someone who wants to drive fast way over posted speed limit around you... all you know is the person might have a severed arm trying to get to an emergency room ASAP to save his arm. You just can't know all things and all possibilities. If you think you can there's job opening for know-it-alls up there."

if you haven't, check out the address that David Foster Wallace gave to the Kenyon graduating class of like 2005 or so - now published as a short book entitled "This Is Water: Some Thoughts, Delivered on a Significant Occasion, about Living a Compassionate Life". Makes your point, and then some, in a beautiful and striking way.

No, and yeah I checked it out on Amazon and it turns out "The Best American Nonrequired Reading 2006 (The Best American Series) - Dave Eggers" contains the Wallace's bit and a better choice as there are other tidbits of readings that it would make a good addition to my throne library selections so I ordered one for $5. Thanks for the suggestion.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

given the money spent to set this up, if we assume that the gear is all hers; why no clipless pedals? I mean I get the concept of a way over the top stuff, but you woudl think that the child/coconut of a parent/protour scout would have set the kid up right.
    Dave Bradley...not the grumpy old Hogwarts caretaker "Mr. Filch" or the star of American Ninja 3 and 4.

formerly "Mr.President"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Having a young child at home, whom I someday hope will be excited about cycling or some other similar athletic endeavor, I want him to just have fun. But, I also want him to appreciate what he has. Starting off with crappy equipment teaches a couple valuable lessons. You hopefully appreciate the nicer stuff you get later on, and you may also learn better technique. I would rather my son rides a hard tail with minimal to no front shocks to learn mt. biking, as opposed to a full suspension bike that rolls over any obstacle in his way. develop good technique, and utilize your knowledge to elicit the most out of your better equipment. And above else, have as much fun doing it as you can. On the other hand, I couldn't fathom being able to afford a bike like that, so until I come across a couple million to throw around, I'll probably never understand her parent's reasoning.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.President View Post
    given the money spent to set this up, if we assume that the gear is all hers; why no clipless pedals? I mean I get the concept of a way over the top stuff, but you woudl think that the child/coconut of a parent/protour scout would have set the kid up right.
    I'd bet they tried but shoes weren't available in a small enough size. In other words, sanity prevailed on the manufacturing side where it was utterly lacking on the parental side.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I suspect that triathletes are some how involved in the equation here...

for posterity:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not to wish the kid ill -- rather to wish her parents ill -- but I hope she lost.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I once did Sunday morning open class circuit races, where I ran into the opposite. We're all moving in the pack and I see those 12-13 year old kids on way too large frames just drafting along . I remember being so surprised they could just stay in the wheels for an hour.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast