Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I keep thinking about wheels

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default I keep thinking about wheels

This could be from reading stuff here, where everyday someone seems to get a new wheelset. Or it could be me falling into the trap of thinking about buying bike stuff because I haven't been riding (fixing that tomorrow). But whatever the reason, I'm thinking about wheels and specifically whether it would be fun to get another set.

Right now I have one wheelset, and I'm pretty happy with it. Boyd Altamonts, I think they were the early 2015 models (slightly different than the current ones). They are reasonably light, wide (18mm internal), 30mm deep. I think I can even make them tubeless if I want, although I haven't tried. I have absolutely no complaints, just thought it might be interesting to try something different, the question is what would complement the Boyds nicely?

Not sure that deep and aero is the way I want to go, because it doesn't really fit the way I ride (read: slowly). Seriously, riding time is whenever I can find a free minute so I'm out solo and not flying along in group or anything. I definitely don't race.

I've thought about maybe something light and carbon. Like the new Mavic Ksyrium Carbon, Fulcrum racing zero carbon or Boras. And then the Boyds are my rough road, bad weather, "fat" tire (28ish, Paves or Clement LLG) wheels. Or do I go with something else in alloy like Shamals or Ksyrium pro, or even wider like HED Ardennes+ and just make it so I have another tire option ready to go (veloflex 25s or something similar)? Would any of those be that different than what I have now?

Like I said, I'm happy with what I have, and really, I have two wheels so I can ride and that's what matter. Still, that means I'm fine to save up for a while if the answer is really to drop $2k on carbon if I want to notice a difference. Or maybe I'm better off skipping it to save for a shiny new frame instead. Any thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: I keep thinking about wheels

I see two feasible choices here. Tubular wheels or wearing out the Boyd's and then revisiting this question.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And don't end up with two wheel sets with different width rims.
    my name is Matt

INSTA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bora tubulars. Done. Said it before but there are no better wheels out there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by robin3mj View Post
    bingo
    Nash Taylor - Oakland CA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lionel has it down to one sentence. Perhaps you are overthinking this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by robin3mj View Post
    Good point. I was thinking the brake pad swap might be annoying, but definitely not as bad as having to adjust calipers every time.

The Boras are within 0.5mm of my current wheels. Maybe I am thinking too hard.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Matt, don't chase tubs down a rabbit hole. They are not you. You are a Campag guy, correct? Get a pair of Shamals, either Mille, or the new wide iteration. Then come visit in the summer, and make me suffer holding your wheel. That will make you feel even better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dutchess View Post
    I see two feasible choices here. Tubular wheels or wearing out the Boyd's and then revisiting this question.
    Unless you really have the tinkerer's itch, get your tubular wheels with a matching rim surface. Otherwise, you will have to swap brake pads when swapping wheels, which is even more of a barrier to easy exchange than a couple millimeters in rim width.

Cheers,

Will
    William M. deRosset
    Fort Collins, CO

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think the brakepad and rim adjustments are a huge deal. You may end up needing to adjust the rear derailleur anyway. IMO, if you're going to invest in another set I wouldn't limit yourself to wheels that are nearly the same as what you have. You may want to impose some limits so you don't have to adjust hubs, pads and brake width each time, but to avoid any adjustments you'll limit yourself to pretty much what you already have. I actually find swapping wheels to be meditative. A few minutes of simple maintenance to transform the ride.

So, with that in mind, my vote is for light and carbon. I have the Boyd 28 clinchers and they're a pretty sweet ride.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lionel's suggestion of Boras is a good one, but then of course Lionel would say Boras.

I offer an alternative choice: treating yourself to a nice custom wheelset. For about $1K, you could get one heck of a wheel set:

Hubs: White Ind./King/Phil/Industry Nine
    Spokes: CX-Ray
    Rims: If you're into classic box sections, Ambrosio Nemesis for tubs or H+Son TB14 for the clincher copy. For something a little more modern and perhaps lighter, I'd go with H+Son Archetypes or Velocity A23s. The brake pad/wheel width issue can be taken care by a few turns of the cable adjuster.

I'm sure others will have great suggestions on this topic as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm becoming convinced Lionel has written a script that posts "something something something Bora...done" in every wheel thread. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

If I were you, I'd keep thinking about something light and carbon. You already have a set of Boyd wheels. Boyd's an awesome dude, and Olive is an adorable child who needs to go to college some day, so I suggest the lightest and most carbon thing that Boyd sells. Light is gonna move the needle much more for you than aero.
    "As an homage to the EPOdays of yore- I'd find the world's last remaining pair of 40cm ergonomic drop bars.....i think everyone who ever liked those handlebars in that shape and in that width is either dead of a drug overdose, works in the Schaerbeek mattress factory now and weighs 300 pounds or is Dr. Davey Bruylandts...who for all I know is doing both of those things." - Jerk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by m_b_b View Post

Or maybe I'm better off skipping it to save for a shiny new frame instead. Any thoughts?
    No.

We ride wheels and contact points, not bikes.
    "As an homage to the EPOdays of yore- I'd find the world's last remaining pair of 40cm ergonomic drop bars.....i think everyone who ever liked those handlebars in that shape and in that width is either dead of a drug overdose, works in the Schaerbeek mattress factory now and weighs 300 pounds or is Dr. Davey Bruylandts...who for all I know is doing both of those things." - Jerk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Altamonts are good all around wheels, yeah? Shamals, Boras, etc. are all upgrades, but I start getting confused when I have more than one set of wheels to choose from. I am much better off if I have one set of wheels per bike and that's it. And one bike per house. And one house.

Just go ride your bike.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    I am much better off if I have one set of wheels per bike and that's it. And one bike per house. And one house.
    Are you my wife in disguise.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    The Altamonts are good all around wheels, yeah? Shamals, Boras, etc. are all upgrades, but I start getting confused when I have more than one set of wheels to choose from. I am much better off if I have one set of wheels per bike and that's it. And one bike per house. And one house.

Just go ride your bike.
    This is alarmingly reasonable...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would be less reasonable if he had a pair of Campagnolo Record hub + OpenPro + Sapim/DT wheels. Then I would say go get a set of Shamals because there would be a marked difference.

And then go ride your bike.

But I think to feel a major difference from the Altamonts, he'd have to follow Lionel's advice.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I keep thinking about wheels
    My experience is the opposite. I just bought a ship load of fancy wheels, one after the other, sometimes 3-4 pairs on hand at once - spent way too much money than is sensible but hey, I have no children and own my own home..............

I too am slow enough to not get any benefit from pushing speed into deep dish rims like Corima 47mm, TWE 50mm, Zipp 404, Madfiber 60/66mm etc. All nice enough wheels but the front ends catch the wind when it's blowing hard enough and I for one don't want to have to worry about my front end in blustery conditions let alone burn myself out trying to keep the speeds circa 30km/hr and above.

Do yourself a double favour and save up for a pair of the new wide rim Bora 35 and go tubulars. Lightweight, yet stable on the front in any wind, plenty stiff for pedal stomping and yet (and most importantly to me) oh so comfortable - easily the uber practical high end wheelset I've ridden yet - zero regrets apart from waiting so long for a medium profile Bora to come along.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

)
    Quote Originally Posted by WFSTEKL View Post
    Matt, don't chase tubs down a rabbit hole. They are not you. You are a Campag guy, correct? Get a pair of Shamals, either Mille, or the new wide iteration. Then come visit in the summer, and make me suffer holding your wheel. That will make you feel even better.
    You can also make billy suffer by dragging out a thread on what wheels should i buy for 5 pages.
    Alternate method

Mebbe join over thinkers anonymous?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    I don't think the brakepad and rim adjustments are a huge deal. You may end up needing to adjust the rear derailleur anyway. IMO, if you're going to invest in another set I wouldn't limit yourself to wheels that are nearly the same as what you have. You may want to impose some limits so you don't have to adjust hubs, pads and brake width each time, but to avoid any adjustments you'll limit yourself to pretty much what you already have. I actually find swapping wheels to be meditative. A few minutes of simple maintenance to transform the ride.

So, with that in mind, my vote is for light and carbon. I have the Boyd 28 clinchers and they're a pretty sweet ride.
    Don't you also have the Fulcrum zero carbons and Boras? You may be to blame for my mental wanderings. Any thoughts on the relative merits of those vs boyd?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast